Author Topic: 2010 Daylight Saving Time  (Read 17178 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: 2010 Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »
   When I awoke this morning (7th) I looked at the time that is projected onto the ceiling and it said 8:00am.  I rolled over and smiled at the thought I could sleep another hour because I had not changed the clocks yet.  Suddenly I awoke again and looked at it again and it said 8:45am.  It was then I realized that the clock was an Oregon Scientific Atomic clock and it had set itself :oops: #-o :roll: :lol:.  Glad I didn't have anywhere to get to in a hurry.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 06:24:11 AM »
How did my smoke alarm (one of them) know it was DST.  :?: Started chirping Sunday morning...... One of my battery clocks died as well.  Duracell conspiracy...  :twisted:

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 08:55:27 AM »
My electronic thermostat changed on it's own!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:49 AM »
How did my smoke alarm (one of them) know it was DST.  :?: Started chirping Sunday morning...... One of my battery clocks died as well.  Duracell conspiracy...  :twisted:

Andrew

Because back before Congress messed with DST the last time, Fall Back was in October, which is fire prevention month, and most fire depts used the time change as a handy reminder to tell people it was time to change their smoke detector batteries. ;)

OTOH, they start chirping late at night or early in the morning because that's when the house is coldest, and waning chemical activity is the lowest in the battery, and therefore the voltage is the lowest.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:24:21 PM by SLOweather »

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2010, 10:26:58 AM »
I did a brief stint in South Bend in the early 90s when Indiana did not believe in Daylight Savings Time.  Boy was that a confusing place to live!  Michigan was 12 miles to the north and the counties adjacent to Chicago kept Chicago time.  Half of the year our clocks agreed with Chicago and half of the year they agreed with Michigan.  When you listened to the radio or TV you had to be aware where the station was located.  Also the airport was also the train terminal (commuter train to chicago).  The train clocks ran on Chicago time, so walking through the airport/train station, half the year you would see different times on the clocks.  People were often an hour early or an hour late for meetings.  I had employees who lived in Michigan.  That must have been weird figuring out what time it really was.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
SLO, that was what I was getting at, same here....  Our fire station has a sign out front and they always put a message out there at DST time.  I did not realize it coincided with fire prevention month though.  Interesting note on batteries, and time of day.  

My os indoor battery indicator went on today also. And for the first time ever I had a dud in the package.  Brand new 16 pack of tripple aaa's and the 4th one I put in was completely DOA.  Was surprised when I went to scan for it, and the battery notification was still lit.... (and my kepad door lock at the side entrance also died today)  Have to make another trip to the Depot.  Actually I am using Energizers these days, so its a general battery corp conspiracy  ;)

Andrew

ps: and my thermostat also changed itself, of course since I did not notice, I dont know if it changed old or new DST....  I guess I will check in spring.

How did my smoke alarm (one of them) know it was DST.  :?: Started chirping Sunday morning...... One of my battery clocks died as well.  Duracell conspiracy...  :twisted:
Andrew

Because back before Congress messed with DST the last time, Fall Back was in October, which is fire prevention month, and most fire depts used the time change as a handy reminder to tell people it was time to change their smoke detector batteries. ;)

OTOH, they start chirping late at night or early in the morning because that's when the house is coldest, and waning chemical activity is the lowest in the battery, and therefore the voltage is the lowest.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:05:43 PM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2010, 09:45:23 PM »

The original post in this thread makes me think of the episode of Corner Gas entitled, "No Time Like the Presents," when Hank decided to observe daylight savings time. (The problem is that Saskatchewan doesn't observe DST). First he moved his watch ahead an hour, then three, and eventually 24. Besides the hilarity, it ended up costing him a parking ticket for having his truck parked illegally in the future. #-o
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:34 AM »
Kevin,
Did you get that show OTA, or does you cable system carry CTV.

I heard it was funny, sometimes I worry they may revoke my Canadian citizenship because I have never seen a complete episode...

Andrew

The original post in this thread makes me think of the episode of Corner Gas entitled, "No Time Like the Presents," when Hank decided to observe daylight savings time. (The problem is that Saskatchewan doesn't observe DST). First he moved his watch ahead an hour, then three, and eventually 24. Besides the hilarity, it ended up costing him a parking ticket for having his truck parked illegally in the future. #-o

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2010, 09:29:26 PM »

Kevin,
Did you get that show OTA, or does you cable system carry CTV.

I heard it was funny, sometimes I worry they may revoke my Canadian citizenship because I have never seen a complete episode...

Andrew

Andrew:

WGN America ran it for a while. It was on very late at night (like 3:00AM or so). I used to record it and the whole family would watch it. You can pretty much find entire episodes on YouTube. We find the show hilarious and still watch it (have also purchased a couple seasons on dvd). The humor in it is clean.
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

anything