Author Topic: 2010 Daylight Saving Time  (Read 17182 times)

Offline port1

• Forecaster
Re: 2010 Daylight Saving Time
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
 :-)  I'd like to follow your lead, Al, but my boss wouldn't be happy if I came to work an hour late every day.
Now...hmmm....if I retired....hmmm.  ;)
Hey!  I like that idea!!  =D>

8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 09:30:58 PM »
Day One - Morning.
Rebelling against Standard to Daylight time change has some rewards.
A friend woke me with a call and she said it was 7:15 AM and we had things to do today.  My first thought was, I've missed my 7AM wx obs.  As the brain fog cleared, I realized it was 6:15 AM at my house & I had plenty of time for my morning scheduled tasks.  I had just gained an hour for my day and I wasn't late for the NWS report after all.
Day One - Afternoon.
Spent the day in town, very good lunch, browsing, shopping.  It was all on her time.  Her car clock was on Daylight Saving Time.  Back at my house at 3:40 PM (her time).  Then I realized that my house is in its own time zone (Standard Time) and it's only 2:40 PM.  I had just gained another hour for my day and all is well with the rebellion against changing to Daylight Saving Time. 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 09:44:44 PM »
    Hmmmmm......didn't I see this on the "Twilight Zone"???  If not, it should be. :grin:

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »
Somehow I don't think that would work for me.  I can see it now.   ;)

Woke up an hour late for work.  Went to all the customer's homes an hour late to find no one was there.  The last hour of the day I answered the phone calls one after another by myself because all the others had went home.  The calls were all from PO'd customers wondering why I was a no show.  #-o

Sorry Al, as much as I would like to join your "movement", I will instead remain an envious observer of the event from the sidelines.    :mrgreen:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 01:23:49 AM »
This is going to get good. Maybe Al is getting ready to write a book on the topic and use this as his study.

Well, it looks like Al gained 1 hour and 45 minutes today alone by simply staying on Standard Time... That's quite an accomplishment, I would say -  =D> =D>
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 06:35:07 PM »
I like to watch the TV afternoon news.  But at 5:30 PM it's too early to stop the days excitement to sit and watch Katie Couric.  6:30 news time in NY is 5:30 at my house.  This is a disadvantage to not going with the flow on the time change.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:34 PM »
One advantage of DVR!

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 04:47:07 PM »
WXtech

Now that DST is over

How did it go?

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
WXtech
Now that DST is over
How did it go?
The rebellion only lasted about a month.  Pesky computers/internet time kept changing to DST and the atomic clocks were on DST.  My Fischer-Porter rain gauge stays on standard time though and can't be changed.  So the rain data is a mixture of both time schemes.  I'm retired and don't care what time it is.  I'm more in tune with only daylight/darkness.
Al

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »
If you think the twice yearly time change is crazy, and confusing, what must it have been like before the establishment of time zones when each city and town had their own local time.  Imagine changing your watch each time you reached a new city.  That must have been fun!

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 09:57:34 PM »
If you think the twice yearly time change is crazy, and confusing, what must it have been like before the establishment of time zones when each city and town had their own local time.  Imagine changing your watch each time you reached a new city.  That must have been fun!
Especially if you were riding a train and had an encounter with one coming the other direction! Thank the railroad industry for time zones.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline yjb

• Weather @ Westerkerkweg.NL
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
  Imagine changing your watch each time you reached a new city. 

Hmm, not that many people with a watch 100 years ago. And most of the people tend to stay in their own town most of their life anyways.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 06:41:42 AM »
Is everybody up an hour early this morning?  #-o

or did you set your clock last night?   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 06:51:36 AM »
I got up at 3 AM and set my clocks; made coffee; checked the forum; checked Facebook.

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2010, 06:54:10 AM »
Woke up to find my Casio Waveceptor watch did the change for me automatically courtesy of the atomic clock.  Why can't every clock be that way!  Benjamin Franklin had good intentions with this clock change idea, but I'm wondering if it really saves anything at all these days.  He was concerned about saving lamp oil.  Now everyone fires up their big screen TV's regardless of day or night, so is anything really being saved?

Offline daswx

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 07:03:30 AM »
For years now I've made a habit of setting ALL my clocks and watches the day BEFORE the "official"
changeover in Spring and Fall....with the exception of the NIST-sync'd units that do it automatically...
This is the first year, though, that I actually DID remember to set the clocks.....in our CARS!!! :grin:

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »
Last November one of my co-workers, who is chronically late, tried to blame her tardiness on forgetting about the daylight saving change; it didn't work, she should have been an hour early.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
I always have difficulty in trying to figure out how to change the mechanical timer of the water softener .  I now do it the easy way by just unplugging it for an hour in the fall, or 23 hours in the spring.

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2010, 07:16:14 AM »
I always have difficulty in trying to figure out how to change the mechanical timer of the water softener .  I now do it the easy way by just unplugging it for an hour in the fall, or 23 hours in the spring.

Actually, I was a little later to work this morning than usual.  I couldn't find the ice scraper and the windshield was iced up the first time this season.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 08:32:06 AM »
I changed all the non-automated clocks in the house this morning and discovered/replaced a low battery in my OS-WMR968 Indoor temp/hum/baro sensor.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2010, 10:18:19 AM »
If you use WxSim, remember to uncheck the DST box in both WxSim and  WxSimate.

Offline KeithBC

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2010, 11:10:16 AM »
Is everybody up an hour early this morning?  #-o

or did you set your clock last night?   =D>
Oh, bummer!  I forgot all about it and got up an hour earlier than I needed to.   ](*,)  I don't have to be anywhere today, so I think I'll stay on DST today and set the clocks back tonight.  I'd rather have the extra hour of sleep than in the daytime.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2010, 01:48:23 PM »
Or you could move to Arizona or Hawaii or American Samoa where the only adjustment to your clocks is a minute or two here and there... You do have to be careful of when you call your friends from other states just after the change.   

Another reason I am happy to live in AZ!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 02:00:56 PM by kaymann »

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2010, 11:14:51 PM »
Woke up to find my Casio Waveceptor watch did the change for me automatically courtesy of the atomic clock.  Why can't every clock be that way!  Benjamin Franklin had good intentions with this clock change idea, but I'm wondering if it really saves anything at all these days.  He was concerned about saving lamp oil.  Now everyone fires up their big screen TV's regardless of day or night, so is anything really being saved?

Love my Casio G-Force Waveceptor..had it for three years and glad I bought it.  Has a 16-year (alleged) solar battery in it.  It gets pretty good reception.  So much so that it maybe misses sync once a week.  There are some nights I have to remember to face it toward Colorado.

I have very few manual set clocks in my house.  The TE923W changed just fine, I have two LaCrosse atomic wallclocks with indoor/outdoor temp that I have to manually set a menu option (DST = Off) to change it.  No big deal.

Only four items I had to manually set.  The oven clock, a wall clock in the master bedroom, the microwave clock, and my coffeemaker clock.

Make that five...the clock in my car.  But I usually have to set that once a month since it gains about three minutes per month.  So I don't count that.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »
Not sure if it was mentioned already or not but don't forget your programmable thermostat if you have one. That was something I sometimes overlooked when I used them.

anything