Author Topic: lake effect snow  (Read 2718 times)

Offline SoCalKid

lake effect snow
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:52:22 AM »
Well, I'm visiting a friend up there who happens to live right smack in the middle of the snowiest part of the UP! :) So that's a big reason why I wanted to go in January, because it's also the snowiest time of year....and we don't get snow down here in SoCal. So it's going to be rather chilly as well (understatement...) but also looks like the lake effect squalls are quite frequent.

Honestly I can't wait.

Do you guys have any experience with LES?

- Davis VP2 (not my station above, but one day I will have mine up!). Mount Laguna is in the mountains east of San Diego at 6,000 feet.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: lake effect snow
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:55 AM »
In Michigan, lake effect snow is set up primarily when there is open water on the lake and there is an arctic outbreak of cold NW wind. You can see the snow streamers set up on radar in the middle of the lake.

The west side of the state gets it the worst, places like Kalamazoo, Traverse City and of course the UP where the wind comes off of Lake Superior.

Here is SE Lower Michigan (Detroit area), the lake effect snow doesn't normally reach this far when we have West or NW winds off of Lake Michigan.

Sometimes, during storms we can get "lake effect enhanced" snow that adds to the storm when we get East or NE wind.

I am sure that members near Buffalo NY can comment about their famous LES. (as can other locations too)

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 08:41:07 AM »
In Michigan, lake effect snow is set up primarily when there is open water on the lake and there is an arctic outbreak of cold NW wind. You can see the snow streamers set up on radar in the middle of the lake.

The west side of the state gets it the worst, places like Kalamazoo, Traverse City and of course the UP where the wind comes off of Lake Superior.

Here is SE Lower Michigan (Detroit area), the lake effect snow doesn't normally reach this far when we have West or NW winds off of Lake Michigan.

Sometimes, during storms we can get "lake effect enhanced" snow that adds to the storm when we get East or NE wind.

I am sure that members near Buffalo NY can comment about their famous LES. (as can other locations too)

Greg

The wife's from Buffalo... spoke once about building tunnels and 'houses' under the snow falls when she was small.  Blizzard of 77 or 78-I forget, we went up there in April, and snow was still piled up in Delaware Park about 30' high... they had no place to get rid of it... they loaded southbound empty train coal cars with it, and it melted on its way down south...

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:58:29 AM »

Greg

Lived in Buffalo 2001-2002 when they had 7' in the last week of December, beginning of Jan.  Drove around in tunnel vision.... that's how high the snow was on the sides of the streets.
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »
I'm in Lake Effect country also off the east end of Lake Ontario. My dream one day is to retire to the
Tug Hill Plateau where 250-350" of snow fall yearly.  :grin:

Interesting study this year coming up also. SUNY Oswego will be studying Lake Effect.
The DOW from Discovery Channel fame will be here this winter. Here's the press release:

http://www.owles.org/OWLeS-Press-Release-2013-1010c.pdf
Tony

Offline Curly

• Forecaster
    • Michiana Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
Lake effect snow from southern Lake Michigan depends on the winds which causes "banding".
You could see a foot of snow in one place and 2 miles away there is none.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 10:58:41 AM »
We can get some serious lake effect snow coming down from Lake Huron especially in early winter before the lake is frozen over.  Recent history http://past.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=weather_history_highway_402_121211 on one that lasted for days.

It can be very nice, but not if you have to drive in it.

Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
SoCalKid,

For your edification and enjoyment, here are two screen captures from GRLevel3 showing classic lake-effect-snow today.
One is from Marquette, the other is Gaylord. Notice the Traverse City snow bands. They always get dumped on with L-E-S, but the skiers love it.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
Should be some good snows near Syracuse tonight. Warnings up for 6-10". We had a few bursts here too. Its that time of the year.
Tony

Offline MCook21

• Millersville '15 Meteorologist
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 06:35:56 PM »
We can get some serious lake effect snow coming down from Lake Huron especially in early winter before the lake is frozen over.  Recent history http://past.theweathernetwork.com/news/storm_watch_stories3&stormfile=weather_history_highway_402_121211 on one that lasted for days.

It can be very nice, but not if you have to drive in it.

Paul
Wow yeah I remember this article you posted, nuts how quick things can change.