Author Topic: AcuRite barometric pressure readings  (Read 4318 times)

Offline clashley1976

• My Wunderground station
AcuRite barometric pressure readings
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »
My AR 5-in-1 station has been running for about two weeks, and the internet bridge has been running for about 10 days or so. I'm noticing conflicting reading in the barometric pressure sensor readings on the display, the internet bridge, and the local airport. I realize that there will be some local variance, but the differences are substantial:

As of this writing:
  • Display BP: 29.92 inHg
  • Bridge BP: 28.40 inHg
  • Local "official BP" (airport about 10 miles from my location): 30.04 inHg
The display and bridge are co-located (about two feet apart). There's a 1.52 inch variance between the two. The display is closest to the local BP, which is about 10 miles WSW of my location and about 70 feet lower in elevation. I'm tempted to trust the display reading, and adjust the Bridge reading to match it. It is worth noting that the rise and fall in BP seems to register on both the display and the bridge, and I understand that the change in pressure over time is more significant than the actual pressure at any given point in time.

Any thoughts as to why the bridge shows so much lower pressure than the display? Also, maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem more logical to me to have a single BP sensor that is located with the outdoor unit, instead of an indoor unit.

--Cameron Lashley
Albany, GA

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: AcuRite barometric pressure readings
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:47:33 AM »
For the Bridge,

Make sure you have "Acurite Pressure" dotted, and not "Absolute Pressure". See how that does, and if it's too low, do the adjustment to the right. Acurite pressure is for me usually too low like what your display shows. I set mine up to be in line with the nearest pro ASOS site.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:09 AM »
My AR 5-in-1 station has been running for about two weeks, and the internet bridge has been running for about 10 days or so. I'm noticing conflicting reading in the barometric pressure sensor readings on the display, the internet bridge, and the local airport. I realize that there will be some local variance, but the differences are substantial:

Any thoughts as to why the bridge shows so much lower pressure than the display? Also, maybe I'm wrong, but it would seem more logical to me to have a single BP sensor that is located with the outdoor unit, instead of an indoor unit.

You actually have two barometric sensors, one is in your console, the other is in your bridge.

Both are currently going through the "learning period" where they are trying to adjust to a value close to a sea-level reading.  If you let both the console and the bridge run for about a month, they should lock in on about the same reading.  That reading should also be very close to the airport reading.  Over the past several years mine keeps with within a few hundredths of the airport reading with 5 different devices.

It is possible to by-pass the learning mode on the bridge by selecting "absolute" pressure with a manual adjustment.  Depending on your console model, you might be able to do a manual adjustment to the reading on the display.

As for the baro sensor being indoor or outdoors, it makes little difference.  Most homes are "leaky" enough that the pressure equalizes quickly.   It usually easier to have the baro sensor indoors where it has a more stable temperature and is better shielded from pressure changes due to wind.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:49:27 AM by nincehelser »

Offline clashley1976

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:11:43 PM »

You actually have two barometric sensors, one is in your console, the other is in your bridge.

Both are currently going through the "learning period" where they are trying to adjust to a value close to a sea-level reading.  If you let both the console and the bridge run for about a month, they should lock in on about the same reading.  That reading should also be very close to the airport reading.  Over the past several years mine keeps with within a few hundredths of the airport reading with 5 different devices.

It is possible to by-pass the learning mode on the bridge by selecting "absolute" pressure with a manual adjustment.  Depending on your console model, you might be able to do a manual adjustment to the reading on the display.

As for the baro sensor being indoor or outdoors, it makes little difference.  Most homes are "leaky" enough that the pressure equalizes quickly.   It usually easier to have the baro sensor indoors where it has a more stable temperature and is better shielded from pressure changes due to wind.

Thanks! I'll let both the bridge and the display run for another 30 days and then see how they are comparing. I have played around with the acu-link bridge interface and have seen how to make adjustments to the the baro pressure there, but it doesn't seem like that actually applies any changes to the bridge, only to the way the data is interpreted on the acu-link web interface. I'm using Kevin Keys' software to push rapidfire updates to Wunderground and also datalogging to a CSV file, and I've noticed that acu-link bridge interface does not impact the data that is pushing to WU or being logged in a CSV file.

I'll revisit this topic in another month or so after both sensors have become acclimated.
--Cameron Lashley
Albany, GA

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:45:27 PM »
Thanks! I'll let both the bridge and the display run for another 30 days and then see how they are comparing. I have played around with the acu-link bridge interface and have seen how to make adjustments to the the baro pressure there, but it doesn't seem like that actually applies any changes to the bridge, only to the way the data is interpreted on the acu-link web interface. I'm using Kevin Keys' software to push rapidfire updates to Wunderground and also datalogging to a CSV file, and I've noticed that acu-link bridge interface does not impact the data that is pushing to WU or being logged in a CSV file.

I'll revisit this topic in another month or so after both sensors have become acclimated.

In the case of the bridge, the "learning" actually occurs on the servers.  The bridge itself always transmits absolute pressure.  (Actually, this is true of the data transmitted by the USB consoles, too.  Only the displayed values on the console are affected by the "learning period".

If you're using third-party software to read the data from the bridge, then the Aculink settings will not matter.  Neither does the learning period.  MyBackyardWeather is by-passed and the data sent directly to wunderground or wherever.  You will need to supply your own adjustment in the software which you can do now without waiting for the learning period to complete.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:49:40 PM by nincehelser »

Offline clashley1976

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:52:53 PM »
In the case of the bridge, the "learning" actually occurs on the servers.  The bridge itself always transmits absolute pressure.

If you're using third-party software to read the data from the bridge, then the Aculink settings will not matter.  Neither does the learning period.  MyBackyardWeather is by-passed and the data sent directly to wunderground or wherever.  You will need to supply your own adjustment in the software which you can do now without waiting for the learning period to complete.

Good to know! The display has been running for about 14 days now, so I'll let it go for a couple of more weeks and check back on the subject then.

On an unrelated topic, I'm a little annoyed with myself. I did some modifications to my sensor mount this evening. It's mounted on a 10-feet length of 1-inch EMT, strapped to the side of my backyard shed with tension mounts. I added a couple of hitch pins to the mast to 1) keep the pole from sliding in the event that the tension mounts loosen, 2) add a "servicing stop" so that the pole can be slid down to the appropriate height for servicing the sensor. In the midst of doing all of this, I apparently jostled the sensor enough for it to record about a quarter inch of "rainfall." I just didn't think about it before hand; otherwise I would turned off the display and the bridge while I did the work. Lesson learned, I guess. :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 08:55:36 PM by clashley1976 »
--Cameron Lashley
Albany, GA

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 09:04:38 PM »
On an unrelated topic, I'm a little annoyed with myself. I did some modifications to my sensor mount this evening. It's mounted on a 10-feet length of 1-inch EMT, strapped to the side of my backyard shed with tension mounts. I added a couple of hitch pins to the mast to 1) keep the pole from sliding in the event that the tension mounts loosened, 2) add a "servicing stop" so that the pole could be slid down to the appropriate height for servicing the sensor. In the midst of doing thing, I apparently jostled the sensor enough for it to record about a quarter inch of "rainfall." I just didn't think about it before hand; otherwise I would turned off the display and the bridge while I did the work. Lesson learned, I guess. :)

Yes.  That's a common problem.  Some displays will allow you to clear such rainfall from jostling (which tips the rain buckets), other will not.  The bridge does not have such a feature, so it's often best to turn it off during servicing.

The consoles are a different matter, however.  Turning them off will not necessarily stop them from recording the "phantom rain". 

That's because, for some unknown reason, the bridge and the consoles record rain differently.

The actual rain sensor transmits the value of a counter.  When a console sees a change in the counter, it records the difference from the last counter reading as rainfall.

The bridge, however, does things a bit differently.  It doesn't transmit the value of the counter, but rather the number of bucket tips that have occurred in the last 36 seconds.  In a perfect world, there would be no difference, but it makes the bridge susceptible to losing data if your network or radio connection is less than perfect.

So, in short, the way to avoid "phantom rain" while servicing is to turn off the bridge.  In the case of the console, hopefully you have the feature that lets you clear recent rain.  If not, you just have to deal with it.

Offline clashley1976

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:36:32 PM »
On an unrelated topic, I'm a little annoyed with myself. I did some modifications to my sensor mount this evening. It's mounted on a 10-feet length of 1-inch EMT, strapped to the side of my backyard shed with tension mounts. I added a couple of hitch pins to the mast to 1) keep the pole from sliding in the event that the tension mounts loosened, 2) add a "servicing stop" so that the pole could be slid down to the appropriate height for servicing the sensor. In the midst of doing thing, I apparently jostled the sensor enough for it to record about a quarter inch of "rainfall." I just didn't think about it before hand; otherwise I would turned off the display and the bridge while I did the work. Lesson learned, I guess. :)

Yes.  That's a common problem.  Some displays will allow you to clear such rainfall from jostling (which tips the rain buckets), other will not.  The bridge does not have such a feature, so it's often best to turn it off during servicing.

The consoles are a different matter, however.  Turning them off will not necessarily stop them from recording the "phantom rain". 

That's because, for some unknown reason, the bridge and the consoles record rain differently.

The actual rain sensor transmits the value of a counter.  When a console sees a change in the counter, it records the difference from the last counter reading as rainfall.

The bridge, however, does things a bit differently.  It doesn't transmit the value of the counter, but rather the number of bucket tips that have occurred in the last 36 seconds.  In a perfect world, there would be no difference, but it makes the bridge susceptible to losing data if your network or radio connection is less than perfect.

So, in short, the way to avoid "phantom rain" while servicing is to turn off the bridge.  In the case of the console, hopefully you have the feature that lets you clear recent rain.  If not, you just have to deal with it.

I will have to test this theory, but my display has a channel selector switch in the battery compartment. Im assuming that purposely selecting a different channel from the sensor would disrupt the communication from the sensor to keep it from recording bad data during a maintenance event.
--Cameron Lashley
Albany, GA

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 09:49:09 PM »
I will have to test this theory, but my display has a channel selector switch in the battery compartment. Im assuming that purposely selecting a different channel from the sensor would disrupt the communication from the sensor to keep it from recording bad data during a maintenance event.

It's more than a theory.

You can change the channel, but all that really does is change some identifier bits in the data stream.  The frequency remains the same.

As far as the bridge is concerned, it ignores the channel bits as its job is to listen to everything.

I suppose Acurite could elect to ignore the counter when changing the channel,  but that doesn't seem to match what people have noted in the past.

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 03:03:45 AM »
I totally gave up on getting an Acurite - pun intended! :) - barometric pressure reading from my beloved 5-in-1 and I will probably break down and buy a new bridge since that seems to be the culprit - i mean after calling and seeing if I can get it replaced on warranty anyways.

I have tried re-calibrating it multiple times (i.e totally resetting both monitor and bridge when the pressure is the recommended 29.92).

The console reading is always close to being accurate but the bridge is always ridiculously off, has been since I got it.   What's totally weird is when I was actually trying to report b/p to WU I would see yet a different number that was close to being right but not quite,  A console number, a bridge # and a third one on WU.   I totally didn't get that.

I resolved it by not sharing b/p with WU anymore and removing it from the AcuLink dashboard.

It doesn't work if you the use Acurite adjusted, the absolute or even a correction to absolute.  It can't even stay stable enough for the correction to absolute to stay consistent.

If there was a way to report it from the console's readings instead of the bridge that would be at least closer to being correct.  The consoles b/p is at least reasonably close but still off .07 too high (29.98 om AcuBridge, 29.91 Davis Vue and VP2 w/24hr FARS) but at least it's not off by 10-15 pt high/low like the bridge.
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 07:56:50 AM »
It doesn't work if you the use Acurite adjusted, the absolute or even a correction to absolute.  It can't even stay stable enough for the correction to absolute to stay consistent.

The key test for the bridge would be using absolute with a correction.  If that isn't tracking well with other barometers, then there is definitely something wrong with the bridge barometer.

Also, look closely when you select the setting on MBW.  The radio buttons can be a bit misleading due to their arrangement.  Make sure you've got the radio button selected in the right column so that the correction is actually applied.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:07:36 AM by nincehelser »

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 12:31:46 AM »

The key test for the bridge would be using absolute with a correction.  If that isn't tracking well with other barometers, then there is definitely something wrong with the bridge barometer.

Also, look closely when you select the setting on MBW.  The radio buttons can be a bit misleading due to their arrangement.  Make sure you've got the radio button selected in the right column so that the correction is actually applied.

Yes, sound advice, it's definitely the bridge.   I turned the Aculink display for b/p back on last night, here's my current Acurite Pressure dashboard reading

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

If I use the Absolute Pressure with 0 correction, same crazy range only it will be like 20/53 or something equally ridiculous.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:34:07 AM by sundevil01010101 »
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...