Author Topic: Re: Win10 upgrade?  (Read 6239 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Win10 upgrade?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »
You may not, but lots of people use touchscreen.  Very handy for certain applications, like photo review and document management.  My point was that W10 handles it better than *nix.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 04:24:14 PM »
Touchscreen is very popular these days. My roommate in college has a touchscreen desktop that he absolutely loves. And he thinks Windows 10 is great for what you are talking about - applications related to photo viewing and document management, as well as using one drive, and other programs. Technology has come such a long way even since I was a kid!  8-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 06:33:19 PM »
One of my kids LOVES touchscreen - the other hates it.  Go figure.  I am a keyboard guy.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: Re: Win10 upgrade?
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 07:41:46 PM »
I tickle mice.  I can't stand being close enough to a screen to touch it.

And it would be a bear to keep the peanut butter off of one.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 08:01:43 PM »
IMO touchscreen is great for a phone, or a tablet... lay down in a bed and just surf the web. However, when we talk about normal PC/laptop, I just cant imagine actively using touchscreen. For typing it is obvious - touchscreen keyboard can never beat a normal one. But even the actual mouse movements. As I sit here now, I have one hand on my mouse, second hand on the keyboard and if I constantly moved my hand forward to touch the monitor and then back to the keyboard and back to the monitor... it is actually much faster to do it with a mouse. In addition, the mouse is much more sensitive, your finger is simply too big to do such fine movements as a mouse can do. And one more thing, mouse is also great because it gives you much wider possibilities for control. With mouse you always have at least three states: - nothing, mouseover, mouse click. The obvious problem with touchscreen is that there is no way of differentiating between mouseover and mouseclick. This was/is a huge problem for websites that were made a few yrs ago and that use different actions for mouse over and mouse click and when used on a touchscreen device, cause problems. Not to mention the fact that the mouse actually has more buttons which creates even more options for control.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2016, 08:07:32 PM »
How many people actually use a mouse when their laptop has a touch pad?  ;)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2016, 08:20:05 PM »

I do.  All the time.  Actually a Trackball.

Not to mention the fact that the mouse actually has more buttons which creates even more options for control.

That's just one reason.  Another is again, I don't need to be close enough to touch the pad.   It's set up on a stand beside me and with a KB and trackball, I can hang back and relax instead of being hunched over it.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »
Does Davis Weatherlink work with operating systems other than Mac and Windows?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2016, 09:43:58 PM »
I am also a mice freak. I use a usb mouse even on my laptop.  8-) I also like a good keyboard. It will be difficult for me to move away from that one.  :-)
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2016, 09:56:08 PM »
Does Davis Weatherlink work with operating systems other than Mac and Windows?
I don't believe it does as the only Davis Weatherlink/datalogger I have seen listed is Windows and Mac versions.

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2016, 10:05:22 PM »
It will run in Linux with WINE.  But ugh....

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2016, 08:03:11 PM »
[youtube]https://youtu.be/VMPeTrHNX1U[/youtube]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2016, 08:18:42 PM »
[youtube]https://youtu.be/VMPeTrHNX1U[/youtube]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 12:46:01 PM »
I tried to "upgrade" from that prompt that keeps on bugging you, but it didn't seem to be doing anything or making any progress. After about 20 minutes I killed it. It was launched from the same prompt shown in the TV video.

Later, I found an "upgrade program" that was pretty much the same thing, but this one showed download and install progress.

I don't mind Win10 once it is installed, but this was pretty annoying. This issue seemed to affect my HP laptop, I don't remember this happening on the workstation.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2016, 12:51:05 PM »
But I love that woman´s reaction :D Especially in the end when the clicker stops working.... she is right... "must be the Windows 10" (always problems...) :D

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2016, 08:29:44 PM »

I do.  All the time.  Actually a Trackball.

Same with me.
That's just one reason.  Another is again, I don't need to be close enough to touch the pad.   It's set up on a stand beside me and with a KB and trackball, I can hang back and relax instead of being hunched over it.
[/quote]

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline MGCJerry

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2016, 10:10:04 PM »
My girlfriend loves, loves loves windows 10. Me? Not my thing.

Until MS starts paying my bills and paying for my computer, they have zero permission to choose what when where why and how my machine handles updates. The old adage, if it isn't broke, dont fix it. I got one prompt to claim my "free copy of windows 10" on my mothballed "new" machine and promptly removed all GWX updates and disabled auto-updates. Also, my machine is a non-touchscreen workstation, not a mobile device. 10 is good on a tablet, not a desktop (IMO). However, due to some financial problems I've run into I had to sell main components to that machine so its not functional at this time so I am now using an old server of mine, running XP Pro. Sure XP is beyond support but I don't run around the internet willy-nilly clicking yes on every clickbaity thing on the screen either. Adbock (older version without the "paid ads feature") with no-script stops nasties and a *strict* policy on when to allow scripting. All unnecessary services are disabled. Machine still works as good as it did 6 years ago when I had to use it.

Laptop touchpads are a pain too... Since my old trusty P105 burned up (yes, burned up) I've been using an old spare touchscreen laptop and loaded win7 on it and this trend of making the touchpad left & right click absolutely reeks! Touchscreen is disabled too. Touchscreen is nice on a mobile device, but find it annoying on a laptop.

Windows 10 is a fine OS, but its not my cup of tea and does not fit within my policies with machine use. If I cant control it, I don't use and/or store vital information on it. I trust my bank's safe deposit box more than a cloud service. Even my android phone & spare tablet is devoid of any my personal information. Its also why I don't live on the 'cloud'. I like looking at them from a weather perspective, but that's it.

My next OS will be some flavor of Linux once I'm completely weened off windows apps (games mostly). Before I mothballed my machine I tried several distros and have a few in mind to use. Most of my linux use has been a headless servers with no video subsystem so getting used to a GUI is a little different.

*waves his cane* That's my 2 cents, now get off my lawn! *shakes his cane and drops his dentures into the grass* :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »
All of you in the U.S, here is your chance :D :D :D!!!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-windows-10-lawsuit/

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2016, 08:18:40 PM »
Don't just consider Linux.  Consider FreeBSD as well.  If I can help with FreeBSD, feel free to ask.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »
Many report issues with the updates loading incompatibly drivers etc. This was my first experience with windows 10 on a friends computer and it continues. Windows claim the updates aren't automatic and still need permission to install just isn't true.
We have tried blocking driver updates but it still ignores. “Never install driver software from Windows Update”  is a joke.
I've figured out how to quickly reinstall the drivers needed but what a PITA this is.
There is absolutely no way I would install 10 on any of my computers.   
Randy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2016, 08:51:20 PM »
Many report issues with the updates loading incompatibly drivers etc. This was my first experience with windows 10 on a friends computer and it continues. Windows claim the updates aren't automatic and still need permission to install just isn't true.
We have tried blocking driver updates but it still ignores. “Never install driver software from Windows Update”  is a joke.
I've figured out how to quickly reinstall the drivers needed but what a PITA this is.
There is absolutely no way I would install 10 on any of my computers.

Sue them... Obviously it works in the US...  And if you win 10k you can buy me Davis for the tip lol

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2016, 11:47:34 PM »

Is the computer on WiFi or is it hardwired? If on WiFi there is a way to stop updates.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2016, 06:48:04 AM »
Its hardwired.
I just ran into another long thread with many pissed about the same issue Windows 10 ignoring the order not to update.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2016, 07:15:01 AM »
I may of found a solution Quote: Jacob Klein, you are correct. The only way to prevent a driver from being installed, in Windows 10, is to use the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter tool, located here:
support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
Randy

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »
I've upgraded 3/4 of my home computers to Windows 10.  Two from Windows 8 and one from 7.  Only issue I've run into is the HP software for my 10 year old scanner no longer works.  But I can still scan from within Adobe Acrobat.  So I'm good.

Not upgrading my weather PC though.  Windows 8 still supported, it's working fine.  Not worth the hassle.  And since it is a dedicated weather PC, security risk should be minimal.

I'm satisfied.  But then again, my job is in IT.  So I HAVE to work on these issues for my job.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

anything