Author Topic: More Tropical Satellite Loops  (Read 1025 times)

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
More Tropical Satellite Loops
« on: January 28, 2016, 06:54:46 PM »
This is a follow up to the original Satellite Tropical Loops Hanis project.  Thanks to Jerry for updates on that script.  NOAA provides loops for the South Pacific and for the islands around Guam.  Since we were soon to have a blizzard here at some point this winter, which we did, and the likely-hood of actually vacationing there in the near term is pretty low short of winning the lottery, decided adding these to the tropical choices  in the loops script would be a pretty good project.  In addition, with a new satellite providing service over the western pacific, there are now full earth disk loops for that area which can be quite useful as an educational tool.  With Jerry's mentoring and 29 inches of snow keeping me pretty much snow bound, was able to put something together.  You can see the script in action  here.  As I did with the sea surface temperature script the main code can be found here and the includes script which really does the work can be found here.  Good luck, I think I will check and see if its a nice day in Tahiti as I look at the snow pile in my front yard :-).

Bob
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 06:57:33 PM by satcop »
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: More Tropical Satellite Loops
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
This script also blew up this morning when the NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations modified the loop displays to use a Pop-Up Window in a New Tab and at the same time just commenting out the section with 'SPECIAL MESSAGE'.  This left 'SPECIAL MESSAGE' in the source code which the detection scheme catches and then uses the wrong '$top' value.  I've corrected this script on my site, and it can be downloaded here.  There is currently no scheme to detect a 'SPECIAL MESSAGE', so one will need to be devised if and when that redisplays.  The 'includes' script hasn't changed.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:09:51 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline satcop

• Senior Contributor
    • Clifton Virginia Weather
Re: More Tropical Satellite Loops
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
For those of you using the Tropical script with the additional South Pacific Islands and the Eastern Hemisphere Full Disk script, as Jerry found on the other satellite loops, the NOAA Satellite and Information Service has changed the display of these loops to Pop-Up Windows in New Tabs.  This required a new value for the iframe computation in 'wxus-alltropicloops1-h5.php', the only script that needs to be changed.  A new version of this script is available on my site.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:23:54 PM by satcop »
Clifton, Virginia Weather

Blitzortung Stations 1189, 1451 - CWOP EW1675

anything