Author Topic: Climate Change: Snow in rome 2012  (Read 9610 times)

Offline Kolk

Climate Change: Snow in rome 2012
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:15:05 AM »
Hello everyone, here placed a video on the snow in Rome on 4 February. The event is exceptional and testomonia the phenomenon of climate change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAZEMpITkww

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
Re: Climate Change: Snow in rome 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 02:01:46 PM »
While you were getting snow, we got only our third school delay this year, a two hour delay with the clipper system that moved through...we are WAY below snow averages this year
Joe Fitzwater
Chief Meteorologist for WVNS-TV 59 in Beckley, WV

Work Page on Facebook -> www.facebook.com/meteojoe
Work Page on Twitter -> https://twitter.com/meteojoe
Waterfalls -> www.wvfalls.com

Offline Kolk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:18:41 PM »
hello

what is your average snow every year?  thanks and excuse my bad English!

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:51:44 AM »
I'm not quite sure how snow in Rome is a testament to climate change.

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 03:02:16 AM »
I personally believe that there is a gradual warming of the planet, from both emissions and I also believe that the Earth is gradually warming. Though I do take global warming very seriously, scientists in the 1970s predicted that the northern US would be covered in ice in 2010... ;) ;)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:06:03 AM »
The latest ploy in the propaganda campaign is to pretend any unusual event is enhanced by climate change.
I guess this is because the observed warming has fallen so far short of the exaggerated predictions that got policy makers 'on side' that they need to play up the extreme events enhancement idea to justify the position.
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/ipcc_now_too_moderate_for_professional_scaremongers/
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:09:19 AM by 4wd »

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
The latest ploy in the propaganda campaign is to pretend any unusual event is enhanced by climate change.
I guess this is because the observed warming has fallen so far short of the exaggerated predictions that got policy makers 'on side' that they need to play up the extreme events enhancement idea to justify the position.
http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/ipcc_now_too_moderate_for_professional_scaremongers/

Agreed.  The 'science' involved isn't worthy of any such appellation.  Their predictions are what are known to physicians as WAG's--Wild Ass Guesses.  Physicians at least recognize that when there's insufficient data to justify an opinion that their preliminary diagnoses are just WAG's.  Much of the art of medicine resides in recognizing such circumstances and delicately communicating this to interested parties while they gather more data.  Mature scientists live with and accept uncertainty and the limitations of their craft.  Pseudo-scientists provide, while politicians and their followers demand, premature, half-baked 'answers' which when acted upon only muddy the waters and prevent clarity.  Sound familiar?
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Farmtalk

• Fitzweather
  • Forecaster
    • WV Waterfalls
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 10:02:30 AM »
And global warming has created a huge market for more efficient products, a possible government conspiracy? ;)
Joe Fitzwater

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:33:16 PM »
And global warming has created a huge market for more efficient products, a possible government conspiracy? ;)
I would credit energy prices more than climate change for the increasing prevalence and popularity of energy-efficient products.  Why introduce an extraneous tangentially relevant factor into a fairly straightforward economic explanation?  Modern Western civilization has always sought out renewable, sustainable energy.  The price of such is high, and has historically been unable to compete with fossilized carbon-based resources.  We are nearing a watershed moment however, because no longer can OPEC stifle the search for alternatives.  The price of oil can no longer be determined by the OPEC cartel because they can't pump enough oil to keep its price below what's necessary to make alternatives profitable.  US oil producers and refiners can make MORE profit by selling overseas than in the US, so we have become exporters of oil to the tune of 1.2 million barrels/day.  Thus the price of a gallon of gasoline in the US is driven more by the price of North Sea Brent crude on the world market than the price of a barrel of oil on US commodities exchanges; this is why we've not seen relief from high gas prices to correspond with the recent drop in US crude oil prices.  This is going to be the driving force behind successful conservation efforts and a successful search for viable alternatives, NOT climate change.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:35:03 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Kolk

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 05:58:23 PM »
I personally believe that there is a gradual warming of the planet, from both emissions and I also believe that the Earth is gradually warming. Though I do take global warming very seriously, scientists in the 1970s predicted that the northern US would be covered in ice in 2010... ;) ;)

hello,
 it is 3 years when the snow falls in rome. Then this year was an exceptional event with 30 inches of accumulation, and this after a very mild winter. I think at least here in Italy there is a change that brings extreme hot and then cold. alternation.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:13:05 AM »
The weather tends to go in cycles, even large cycles. For instance, in the Southern United States, we typically see short, mild Winters. If we saw a single Winter weather event in a season that dropped more than a quarter inch of ice/snow on us then we were running above average. That lasted from the time I was born until just a few years ago.

Then about 2005-2006 we started seeing each progressive Winter get worse and worse to the point that we actually got used to snow falling around here last year. We couldn't go a week without not only measurable snow fall but record breaking snow fall.

Now this year we had an average Winter with highs staying around 50-55 and lows between 25-35. It was probably the first full fledged "average" Winter we've had in my life time to be honest. Then we jumped into Spring with temperatures in the 80s.

After seven or eight years of increasingly colder Winters we suddenly sprang off to an above average Spring. There's actually nothing that unusual about that since weather can fall into a pattern for years at a time.

Even with severe weather, we went through several years of below average numbers on storms and then in the last few years things exploded. It's not global warming or climate change to blame for any of it, it's just regular old Mother Nature.

As for the record temperatures we've seen in March. That's not actually that impressive considering many of the official record books are still quite young themselves.

Offline Kolk

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 06:38:12 PM »
Hello everyone, here placed a video on the snow in Rome on 4 February. The event is exceptional and testomonia the phenomenon of climate change.

how can I view the video preview of ytube? thanks

Offline unbidden

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

how can I view the video preview of ytube? thanks

Older thread but the link worked for me, I viewed the video on my phone.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »

hello,
 it is 3 years when the snow falls in rome. Then this year was an exceptional event with 30 inches of accumulation, and this after a very mild winter. I think at least here in Italy there is a change that brings extreme hot and then cold. alternation.

You are correct. It's called CYCLICAL PATTERNS

Offline KF

• Wigan. NW England Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
I agree with all the comments. I've become very cynical and grumpy as I reach the run-in to my final destination. I guess I shouldn't bring politics to the weather forum, but we only have ourselves to blame for voting in the current crop of elected members who religiously promote this propaganda - and that applies to both sides of the Atlantic! I suspect they have banned the incandescent bulb in the USA as part of the drive to save the world from catastophic climate meltdown. Anyway I ensured that I purchased enough of them before the ban to see me through till death and live life with a decent bright light at home. When the time comes I will spend enough time in the dark!

Merry Christmas and God Bless

KF

Offline bwc

• http://briandigital.com
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2012, 08:15:10 PM »
Funny to see an old thread brought back to life.

So, I have to ask… what's the balance on these boards? Climate change believers versus climate change deniers?
@briandigital | briandigital.com | North Andover, Massachusetts |  Davis Vantage Vue + WeatherLink USB logger + Mac Mini | KMANORTH46

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
So, I have to ask… what's the balance on these boards? Climate change believers versus climate change deniers?
Personally, from past discussions (you should find plenty from search) I would prefer the question not be asked.

Paul

Offline bwc

• http://briandigital.com
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »
heh. I hear you. I'm not interested in debating it, I was just curious what the percentages were, curious how that compares to the general public, etc. It was on my mind after having just read a story in Rolling Stone about how a perhaps surprising number of TV weathermen did not believe in human-driven climate change, back to back with an article that explored 14k peer-reviewed climatology papers, finding only 0.17% did not agree with the consensus of human-driven climate change.

I have my opinion. I was just curious of the balance of the board. Like you, I'm not interested in the debate itself, as its really hard to have productive discourse in a forum where politics come into play.
@briandigital | briandigital.com | North Andover, Massachusetts |  Davis Vantage Vue + WeatherLink USB logger + Mac Mini | KMANORTH46

Offline Kolk

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »
I am happy to participate in a discussion on climate so interesting. in occasion I wish you all Merry Christmas! :lol:

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
The break down is simple.  

People who believe in AGW:  scientist, academics, those who have studied the topic, generally more educated.  

People who don't:  religious types, uneducated, fox news viewers.  

That is not stereotyping or generalizing, it's fact.  When you survey people on their beliefs on AGW almost without fail they fall into those groups and under those beliefs.  

Everyone should ask the Pacific Island nations who are losing territory due to sea level rise if AGW is real, or the people of Greenland whose Glaciers are melting if AGW is real.  These aren't extreme weather events hyped by the media as AGW deniers like to think, these are climactic events caused by long term warming of the earth.  

AGW deniers, show me proof it isn't happening.  Show me a peer reviewed study that it isn't happening?  In fact show me thousands, because that is how many show it is.  Including one with my name on it I worked on under a professor as an undergrad in college.  We had no agenda, no politics, no money to be made by showing it was true.  We wanted to know for ourselves.  

The long we deny it, the longer we keep set in our ways the more damage we do.  As far as I can tell it's the deniers who have the most money to lose here.  Their propaganda campaigns are funded by big coal, big oil, and other fossil fuel interest.      

For the record, snow in Rome is not proof of AGW it is merely a singular weather event that may or may not be out of the ordinary.  Those have always happened, and always will.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 03:17:17 AM »
People who believe in AGW:  scientist, academics, those who have studied the topic, generally more educated. 

People who don't:  religious types, uneducated, fox news viewers. 

Yeah, this thread might need to be locked up before we start getting more and more stuff like this. Replies like that are just begging to start a fight and there is no need for that here.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 04:46:50 AM »
Funny to see an old thread brought back to life.

With this topic it's more like

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 07:28:09 AM »

I think they finally found the real culprit.
The presence of worms affects how much carbon dioxide is produced in the soil and how much escapes to the atmosphere. Scientists are concerned that earthworms increase greenhouse gas emissions - and that earthworm numbers are on the rise

Offline Kolk

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 06:39:59 AM »

Issue Overview
Did You Know?
Quotes
Further resources
Calendar
Council Insights
Contact Information
Download

Issue Overview

Recent studies indicate that climate change is taking place faster than originally thought. Climate change poses both immediate and long-term threats to the life-support systems upon which all people depend – food, water, habitat, health, ecosystem services and critical infrastructure such as energy, transport and coastal protection. Meanwhile, market opportunities for "green" technologies are growing, such as renewable and efficient energy that help to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, as their costs come down and they offer attractive investment possibilities.

As extreme temperatures and floods result in loss of life, livelihoods and assets, climate adaptation is becoming critical for business, society and governments, as they seek to respond to the risks posed by the unavoidable impacts of climate change. Indeed, climate change raises the possibility that societies must tackle climatic shifts (in temperature, storm frequency, flooding and other challenges) that previous experience has not prepared them for. Emerging countries are even more vulnerable as they are least able to recover from climate stresses and their economic growth is often highly reliant on climate-sensitive sectors.

While climate change is a growing concern, multilateral climate negotiations have progressed slowly. The agreement reached at the 17th session of the Conference of the Parties (COP 17) in Durban to negotiate a new legally enforceable and universal Global Accord on greenhouse gas emission reductions by 2015 offers a significant opportunity to deliver a climate strategy that recognizes the important roles of all stakeholders in delivering solutions. Meanwhile, local initiatives show that progress is possible. Recent examples include Mexico’s commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30% by 2020; Australia’s adoption of a carbon-price system; and China’s efforts to pilot emissions trading schemes to advance low-carbon development in cities and provinces.

Did You Know?