General Weather/Earth Sciences Topics > Lightning

Tornado Alert

(1/6) > >>

fsi1212:
Anyone have one of these? I do and I love it. Yesterday, there was a tornadic storm near Denton. I live in north Fort Worth, so I was just within the 30 mile range that it claims and wouldn't you know, it actually beeped, flashed, and said "Tornado Possible". I was thrilled after I had purchased this product from the Home Depot for about 40 dollars and was skeptical of the technology. Not skeptical any longer and looking forward to seeing how it works with lightning, and maybe even closer storms. Highly recommend this product as it detects lightning and tornadoes.

WeatherHost:
Tornado Alert is a scientific breakthrough based upon over 40 years of research. Unlike existing warning technologies, Tornado Alert constantly monitors the skies in real-time for electrical activity, the scientifically proven cause of tornado formation. Tornado Alert will tell you when a tornado, lightning or severe weather is detected within a 30 mile radius of your location, that’s up to 30 minutes warning with live proximity status, giving you with critical time to get to safety, day or night.

Kinda' vague.  I'd need to know more before spending $70

fsi1212:
Honestly it was warning me to tornado activity 15-20 minutes before a warning was issued by the NEW. Home depot has it for much cheaper. I was skeptical as well and could not find anything on the internet about it other than their own page. So I splurged and spent the 40 and it worked very well on a tornado event.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ocala:

--- Quote from: WeatherHost on March 27, 2017, 05:02:46 AM ---Tornado Alert is a scientific breakthrough based upon over 40 years of research. Unlike existing warning technologies, Tornado Alert constantly monitors the skies in real-time for electrical activity, the scientifically proven cause of tornado formation. Tornado Alert will tell you when a tornado, lightning or severe weather is detected within a 30 mile radius of your location, that’s up to 30 minutes warning with live proximity status, giving you with critical time to get to safety, day or night.

Kinda' vague.  I'd need to know more before spending $70

--- End quote ---
I read that that lightning activity can lead to tornado formation but I didn't know it is now a "proven cause of tornado formation".
That's a big difference. I would like to see the track record of this unit in regards to actual velocity data. If this can predict tornado's 100% then that is a huge game changer.
Guess I have to do some more reading on this.

CW2274:
There was a thread on this a few months ago, but apparently removed. Frankly, I think it's nothing more than a gimmick that may do some good, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet my life on it. If this "proven" technology is actually available to the general public, don't ya think the NWS, WMO, ect. would have employed it long ago? Seriously, technology of this magnitude would have made WORLD news.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version