Author Topic: Weatherstation's tempsensor-question  (Read 1912 times)

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
Weatherstation's tempsensor-question
« on: January 30, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »
I asked in Davis-section about what sensor there really inside it, so, lets continue, do any know whats the temperature-sensor inside the other popular station-brands like WS-series etc?

Reason for question are that we have in parts of Finland temps down to near -40C (-37.7C lowest so far) and a discussion about the sensors itself came up ;)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Weatherstation's tempsensor-question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 07:43:53 PM »
The older LaCrosse stations (2003 and before) use a 10K NTC thermistor and since have been using a Sensirion (SHT11) type chip as I believe Davis is using. Oregon Scientific is setup with the thermistor arrangement. I don't know what the Fine Offset line uses but would guess the Sensirion chip arrangement do to similarities with LaCrosse.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:39 PM »
WMR200 will record down to -55F. In fact one of the older models OS stations I have the sensor transmitter  recorded down to -58 F. Not sure what the chip is. Davis will not even get close . The thermal unit stops at -39 degrees so if you are in area that is colder then -40 you need to go with the more expensive models.

John

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 04:10:04 AM »
Thanks guys.
Any idea what Peet Bros use?

Those confirms what have been little our toughts on the finnish forum too that in fact in many cases there may be same sensor in different brands, and, what really matter in cold, clear weather are what closure the brands use for the sensor, what not may be the best for such conditions.

I use Davis, and have actually temps not close to the limit of -40C but its in north of the country where temps now stays below -30C :)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:24:04 PM »
Thanks guys.
Any idea what Peet Bros use?

Those confirms what have been little our toughts on the finnish forum too that in fact in many cases there may be same sensor in different brands, and, what really matter in cold, clear weather are what closure the brands use for the sensor, what not may be the best for such conditions.

I use Davis, and have actually temps not close to the limit of -40C but its in north of the country where temps now stays below -30C :)

Doing a little digging around I  see Peet Bros. use the thermistor arrangement that allows it to reach -55F (-48C) and Rainwise stations also, getting down to -66F (-54C).

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
Would be intresting to know the specs, like accuracy etc. of those thermistors OS and PB use, just for comapring with the sht1x-sensors ;)