Author Topic: moving from windows 7 to 8.1 with VWS and weatherlink using a serial to usb  (Read 1217 times)

Offline tom03087

I have read through the threads but can not find an answer that works on mine. I currently have vws version 15.1 and weatherlink 5.7.1 running on my old system which is windows 7. The davis logger is hooked up with a serial to usb that I bought when I got the software.

I followed the post that said copy my vws folder onto the new computer then install my disk and then copy again. I got a database to big please delete message. I uninstalled everything then copied the folder and installed from the disk. When I open the data is not there. When I try to change the comport to comport three from the default it will not accept anything but port 1

I have taken everything off and am still up and running on the old computer but this is the only thing left I need.

Do I need to install weatherlink before vws or should vws go first? how do I copy my data correctly? How do I get the com port solved.

I appreciate any help that someone may be able to give me. Change is always an adventure :)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
I know when I moved cumulus to another computer I had to install weather Link because it had drivers bundled in software for console connection. Once WL was installed after several attempts finally got the USB data logger to connect.
I have USB driver issues on both my desktops where multiple attempts is necessary before it finally connects with WL. I have a laptop that connects firsts time every time so just saying it may be issue you run into. I'm running W7 on all 3 machines.

The disk of WL I have was a very old version so updated to latest 6.0.3 but disk needs installed first to prove it was purchased before update.   
Randy

Offline tom03087

Davis was able to help me move the weatherlink and the serial to usb logger connection. With that taken care of I was able to move VWS. Thanks