Author Topic: Where are you guys reporting your station? (WU issues) **solved**  (Read 2301 times)

Offline rooster

Where are you guys reporting your station? (WU issues) **solved**
« on: September 23, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »
Hey everyone
With some help from the meteobridge forum, I finally got my weather station online.  I have a dir 505 meteobridge, with a Davis vantage vue.      Nothing wants to report to WU for long.    I can get it to report for 2 and a half hours, then it disconnects and won't report again until I reset the station and meteobridge. 

With that being said, where are you guys reporting?  I want to try somewhere else to see if the issue is on my end, or on the weather underground end. (I'm in the US). Does anyone have tips on how to keep my station connected to WU? I know alot of people have issues with weather underground.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:30:24 PM by docbee »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Where are you guys reporting your station? (WU issues)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
also:

APRS/CWOP: https://aprs.fi/weather/?call=DW6988

MesoWest

FindU
I think joining CWOP includes these, not sure, it was all done automatically for me. :???:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »
also:

MesoWest

FindU
I think joining CWOP includes these, not sure, it was all done automatically for me. :???:
Yes, but each displays / formats the SAME information in different ways, making each an "alternative" view of your station's data.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline rooster

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
Awesome, thanks guys!  Will try them all tonight!  I'll post my results back here.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 04:21:45 PM »
also:

MesoWest

FindU
Yes, but each displays / formats the SAME information in different ways, making each an "alternative" view of your station's data.
For sure, I prefer MesoWest at five minute increments (as many as is allowed).
http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=C2274&unit=0&time=LOCAL&year1=2017&month1=3&day1=18&hour1=16&hours=24&graph=0&past=0

Offline rooster

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 09:53:40 AM »
Thanks again for all the help guys.     So weather underground is not my issue, I keep getting disconnected from all places I am reporting to now.  It will be fine for 2 to 4 hours, then disconnects and I have to manually unplug and replug everything in and it will report again.

Anyone know what may be causing this?     I didn't see anything in meteobridge that I could do to fix it.    Should I run the MB on a guest Wi-Fi network instead? Not sure that would make a difference.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2017, 01:47:08 PM »
What are the error messages on 'Weather Network Status' on the 'Live Data' tab of Meteobridge ?

When I start getting communication errors, that tab has always given me a useful error message.   

Offline rooster

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 02:00:41 PM »
Thanks again for all the help guys.     So weather underground is not my issue, I keep getting disconnected from all places I am reporting to now.  It will be fine for 2 to 4 hours, then disconnects and I have to manually unplug and replug everything in and it will report again.

Anyone know what may be causing this?     I didn't see anything in meteobridge that I could do to fix it.    Should I run the MB on a guest Wi-Fi network instead? Not sure that would make a difference.
I had problems with USB synchronization where after hours of normal operation, all data output would suddenly stop. The problem ended up being Windows background "sleep" & "screen saver" programs slowly 'walking' the computers USB timing OUT of synchronization; solution was shutting OFF Windows sleep & screen saver programs.

I'm not running it through a computer, just through the meteobridge, which is connected via wlan.
What are the error messages on 'Weather Network Status' on the 'Live Data' tab of Meteobridge ?

When I start getting communication errors, that tab has always given me a useful error message.   

You know, I didn't think about that, but I will look when I get home and report back.  Thanks

Offline rooster

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
Okay here's 2 screen shots for you guys to look at.  One shows it's been acti e for over 15 hours (not it's not reporting)  and if you look at messages, those are what is repeating over and over, the same message.

The second is the live data tab, which shows no issues (except the weatherbug backyard, which I decided I did not want to use).

To me, everything looks fine, I have no idea what I am missing here.   It's weird to me that the uptime is over 15 hours, but it won't report for more than a couple of hours, no matter what network it is on.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 11:39:04 AM »
No USB hub?  I have to use one on my Davis USB or the connection is flaky.  Is recommended IIRC.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2017, 12:26:19 PM »
Okay here's 2 screen shots for you guys to look at.  One shows it's been acti e for over 15 hours (not it's not reporting)  and if you look at messages, those are what is repeating over and over, the same message.

The second is the live data tab, which shows no issues (except the weatherbug backyard, which I decided I did not want to use).

To me, everything looks fine, I have no idea what I am missing here.   It's weird to me that the uptime is over 15 hours, but it won't report for more than a couple of hours, no matter what network it is on.

You NEED to  have a USB hub between the Meteobridge and the Davis VP2.

The Davis USB logger is USB 1.0 
The DIR 505 is USB 2.0

The hub will convert those signals correctly. Without the hub communication will fail in a few hours, it will never be reliable.

Wim
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 12:27:52 PM by wvdkuil »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »
Good clarification Wim.  BTW, doesn't Bellfryboy's clone logger do away with the need for a USB hub in the mix?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline rooster

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »

You NEED to  have a USB hub between the Meteobridge and the Davis VP2.

The Davis USB logger is USB 1.0 
The DIR 505 is USB 2.0

The hub will convert those signals correctly. Without the hub communication will fail in a few hours, it will never be reliable.

Wim

Good clarification Wim.  BTW, doesn't Bellfryboy's clone logger do away with the need for a USB hub in the mix?

I'm going to pick up a usb 2.0 hub today when i get into town, hopefully that will help!  And also I am using a logger from Belfryboy.  I read that a usb hub usually isn't needed when using a belfryboy logger, but it can't hurt to try one.  I hope that fixes my issue.

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
Yes, I should have mentioned that,  the recent Bellfroy's seems to be 2.0, no USB hub needed, but I did not test any of them. 
Wim

Offline rooster

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 01:00:32 PM »
Yes, I should have mentioned that,  the recent Bellfroy's seems to be 2.0, no USB hub needed, but I did not test any of them. 
Wim

I got my belfryboy logger in the mail less than 2 weeks ago, so I am assuming it's a new one that shouldn't need a hub, however if that is not my issue, then I really have no idea what's going on.     But I figure it's worth a try to get one.

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 01:08:17 PM »
Wim

I got my belfryboy logger in the mail less than 2 weeks ago, so I am assuming it's a new one that shouldn't need a hub, however if that is not my issue, then I really have no idea what's going on.     But I figure it's worth a try to get one.
The error messages in your screenshots are clear.
Yes, there is some communication between MB and the logger,
but
NO data from the sensors , either outside (th, wind, rain), or inside from the the console (thb) arrive at the MB.

If the USB hub does not solve it, there are three other possibilities,
1. The seating of the logger is done without removing power and the batteries
=> restart the console by removing all power to it, wait a minute, repower a.s.o.
2. The logger or the console is broken.
=>You need to borrow a logger or console somewhere to check that out.
3. The DIR is broken in some way which does not happened before.

Succes,
Wim
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 03:16:43 PM by wvdkuil »

Offline rooster

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »
Thanks.     I know I installed it in the right order the first time, but I wonder if when I reinstalled everything, maybe I did it out of order.    I'll try the hub and to install in the right order again.  Thanks again for all your help

Offline rooster

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
I just installed the usb hub, so we will see.  The login via the internet link (for meteobrodge) still doesn't work though, which isn't a huge deal, but it makes me wonder if the hub will fix my issues.

Offline rooster

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 09:43:12 AM »
Well, you guys are right.  A usb 2.0 hub seems to have fixed the issue.   This has been the longest it has been online, so I'm willing to say that fixes the issue!   

So for future reference, I have the NEW Belfryboy logger and a dir-505, still needed the hub.

Thanks again for all the help getting my station online and reporting!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 10:06:28 AM »
I have always found the login via URL a bit flaky.  Usually works.  Or not.  If you really need to remote into it, use port forwarding.  Or put a Raspberry Pi in your network and tunnel into that (or Teamviewer if you have a PC or Pi)

Offline rooster

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
I have always found the login via URL a bit flaky.  Usually works.  Or not.  If you really need to remote into it, use port forwarding.  Or put a Raspberry Pi in your network and tunnel into that (or Teamviewer if you have a PC or Pi)

I'm not sure how to do port forwarding.    It's not the router that confuses me, it's the IP and port...do I just use my MB IP and port 80?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:17:52 AM by rooster »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather

Offline rooster