Author Topic: WiFi for MHRPI  (Read 4109 times)

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
WiFi for MHRPI
« on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:37 AM »
My MHRPI has been logging data for a few days now, and I want to get a WiFi link to my router.

I am trying to connect to a TL-MR3040 through the RJ45 port to send data. The goal is to send data to WU and also to my local TB drive. My question is about connecting to the 3040. Can I send data from the 3040 through the rj45 port and then through WiFi to my router? Or should I send data through USB to the 3040?
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Re: WiFi for MHRPI
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
Do I understand correctly, that you have a Meteohub running on RPI and that you want to make the RPI connected to your Wifi instead of using the Ethernet cable?

If so, it just needs a supported USB WiFi dongle connected to the RPI USB port. Meteohub will then offer a WLAN configuration option on "Network" page. A supported dongle is the Edimax EW-7811UN.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
Yes, the MH is reporting to WU connected to my router with an Ethernet cable. I do not have an Edimax dongle, but was hoping to use the TP-Link TL-MR3040 through its ethernet port and connect to my AP in WISP mode. I want to use the battery backup feature on the 3040, and am looking into running the RPI with a battery backup as well.
-Lee

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 01:55:54 PM »
might also work, when you get the MR3040 configured correctly as a LAN/WLAN bridge.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 11:52:25 PM »
It looks like the only bridge mode is in the AP setting which sets the Enet port to WLAN. I'll play around with it a while more, but will go back to WISP mode which allows a wired client (MHRPI?) to talk to my router. I've been using the WISP setup with some other wireless devices on my network, so there has to be a config issue I have overlooked on the MHRPI.
-Lee

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 02:57:23 AM »
sorry, i can hardly comment on the wifi modes the MR3040 provides with its stock firmware.
As said, I would simply buy a small USB Wifi dongle, but other ways might also work fine.

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:49:40 PM »
You have actually been very helpful, and I don't expect support on anything but the MH product. That is working quite well so far.

Is there a list of supported dongles? I have a Belkin N150 Wireless USB Adapter, but it doesn't seem to be recognized by the MH when plugged into a D-Link USB dock. *edit Don't know what chip set it uses. It is based on a RTL8188SU */edit

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Conn=4&Langid=1&Level=5&PFid=48&ProdID=228

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:03:04 AM by yahtah »
-Lee

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
There are scads of those nano WIFI adapters that use the RTL chipset.  Ranging from 3-15 bucks.  I would imagine most/any should work?  Then again, some of the USB hubs don't work with Meteobridge.  Go figure.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 12:57:08 AM »
I could only find three N150 adapters (not counting all the Chinese connections on EBay), and one N-300. I decided not to spend the extra few bucks on the N-300 because I don't need the extra speed. I ordered a TP-Link TL-WN725N from Amazon for under $10 shipped, arriving on Thurs. I'll post the results after I get it.
-Lee

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 11:40:12 PM »
So, Meteohub doesn't recognize the TP-Link WN-725N. I tried searching for its chipset, but came up empty.  ](*,)
-Lee

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »
So, Meteohub doesn't recognize the TP-Link WN-725N. I tried searching for its chipset, but came up empty.  ](*,)
V1 of that dongle uses the same chipset as the Edimax; V2 uses a different chip.  Which version do you have?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
V1 of that dongle uses the same chipset as the Edimax; V2 uses a different chip.  Which version do you have?

I found out that I have v.2 (8179) of that device. Not sure why they didn't continue Linux support on the "upgrade" and I will make the inquiry.

I have ordered the Edimax Nano and will see if that works. At about $10 for each, it's not worth sending back the TP device imho. The curious thing is that both devices are based on the same chipset, the RTL8188CUS. I suspect there is a flash that can be applied to "customize" the base.
-Lee

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 11:03:09 PM »
According to my spec sheets the EUS chp is used, not the CUS.  Whatever; you are likely correct that some moron in the lab somewhere changed it.  PITA for a seemingly insignificant add-on device.

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2015, 11:20:01 PM »
According to my spec sheets the EUS chp is used, not the CUS.  Whatever; you are likely correct that some moron in the lab somewhere changed it.  PITA for a seemingly insignificant add-on device.

Maybe the EUS chp is the problem. I'll look into the differences. Thanks.
-Lee

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »
So I have found this link

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1344

but I haven't tried to apply the patch. I am still a Unix rookie so I'm moving slowly.  :roll:
-Lee

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 12:27:09 AM »
My Edimax Nano arrived today but I still can't send data to WU unless it's through the wired enet.

I assigned a static IP to the Edi, but it still won't send data to WU. It's logged in to my router and AP, but only sends data when the enet cable is plugged in. I have set the RPi enet to one static IP, and the WiFi to another to avoid conflicts. What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 12:30:55 AM by yahtah »
-Lee

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 01:34:51 AM »
My Edimax Nano arrived today but I still can't send data to WU unless it's through the wired enet.

I assigned a static IP to the Edi, but it still won't send data to WU. It's logged in to my router and AP, but only sends data when the enet cable is plugged in. I have set the RPi enet to one static IP, and the WiFi to another to avoid conflicts. What am I doing wrong?

What happens if you boot with the wired connection disconnected?  Does the Pi attach to the network via wireless as it should?  If so, it should then use the wireless connection as the default route for all internet traffic.

If you have both the wireless and wired connection attached to the same network, your system will likely default to the wired connection unless you have explicitly configured it otherwise.

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »

What happens if you boot with the wired connection disconnected?  Does the Pi attach to the network via wireless as it should?  If so, it should then use the wireless connection as the default route for all internet traffic.

If you have both the wireless and wired connection attached to the same network, your system will likely default to the wired connection unless you have explicitly configured it otherwise.

I'm not sure what I've tried, I tried so many different things. I actually hosed the whole setup last night after registering the software. Thanks to Boris, it is going again this afternoon. I will try a cold boot this evening to see if that works, but another problem was that I want a static IP for the device and my router wants to assign one DHCP. I think the MH gives me a way to do this, but there have been too many bumps last night to sort out. Now that the MH is registered and back up, I'll go down the Edimax road...  ;)

Thanks for your help.
-Lee

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
I'm not sure what I've tried, I tried so many different things. I actually hosed the whole setup last night after registering the software. Thanks to Boris, it is going again this afternoon. I will try a cold boot this evening to see if that works, but another problem was that I want a static IP for the device and my router wants to assign one DHCP. I think the MH gives me a way to do this, but there have been too many bumps last night to sort out. Now that the MH is registered and back up, I'll go down the Edimax road...  ;) .

Regarding the router and DHCP:  It's not that the router *wants* to hand out an IP, it's just responding to a request from your device. 

One way to fix that is in your the router itself... you should be able to configure the DHCP server in your router to only hand out a specific IP addresses to a specific MAC address.  This is often called a "reservation", though terms may vary.  It usually has the same effect as if you set your device's IP manually.

How you do it usually boils down to how you like to manage your network.

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 11:36:13 PM »
I'm not sure what I've tried, I tried so many different things. I actually hosed the whole setup last night after registering the software. Thanks to Boris, it is going again this afternoon. I will try a cold boot this evening to see if that works, but another problem was that I want a static IP for the device and my router wants to assign one DHCP. I think the MH gives me a way to do this, but there have been too many bumps last night to sort out. Now that the MH is registered and back up, I'll go down the Edimax road...  ;) .

Regarding the router and DHCP:  It's not that the router *wants* to hand out an IP, it's just responding to a request from your device. 

One way to fix that is in your the router itself... you should be able to configure the DHCP server in your router to only hand out a specific IP addresses to a specific MAC address.  This is often called a "reservation", though terms may vary.  It usually has the same effect as if you set your device's IP manually.

How you do it usually boils down to how you like to manage your network.

Looking into this...

I have to first get access to the device which I can only do with a wired connection. That seems to limit my access to set up a wireless connection.

I'll look into this in the morning. Thanks for your help.
-Lee