Author Topic: Acurite weather alert radio  (Read 44046 times)

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Acurite weather alert radio
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
Hello - I am a product designer for a company that makes weather devices, including weather radios in the last 2 years. We have a new unit available at walmart, a portable hand held model for around $30.00 with SAME.

We went through gov. Testing with it in the spring and received very good marks for it's performance, Just wondering if anybody has used it and what their impressions were?

thanks for any feedback or comments, im a curious fellow :-)

Thanks,
Rhino

Offline NEOWx

Re: Acurite weather alert radio
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »
Picked one up today and I am very happy with this radio so far, I had been using my scanner with SAME for a while but wanted a mobile unit to take with me for some time but never got around to picking one up.
Mike
Hartville, OH.
Davis VP2/Acu-Rite 01010/PWS-1000TD
WXSIM/GRLevel3/Weather Display/Cumulus

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:40:38 PM »
Is this the Acu-Rite Model 8550 unit?
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline NEOWx

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 06:47:24 PM »
Sorry, it is a model#8550 unit.
Mike
Hartville, OH.
Davis VP2/Acu-Rite 01010/PWS-1000TD
WXSIM/GRLevel3/Weather Display/Cumulus

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:48:15 PM »
Cool! Make sure you let us know what you think of it. One of the goals of the design and user interface was to really focus on the alert functions, leaving out an alarm clock and AM/FM radio and such. We found that a great number of average users were just confused by multiple buttons and functions that said "alarm" and "alert" , etc., really makes for a harder to set up and use (especially under stress during a weather emergency!) product when unnecessary features are added to simply "boost the perceived value".

AcuRite is relatively new weather alert radios, but we have had great feedback so far.

We have a few more units coming out over the next few months, including that same portable radio docked in a basic weather station/alarm clock. I want to hear what you all think of our weather radios, I sure hope there are not too many bad thoughts, but I will take those too ;)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:34:39 AM »
Picked up one of these units (#08550) at a local WalMart over the weekend after failing to find it there late last week.  Employee didn't know about this product which I found in 'Housewares'.  There was a nice selection of Acurite products displayed at very reasonable prices.

Programming the #08550 Weather Alert Radio wasn't difficult if you followed the instructions.  I found my local FIPS code on the NWS website, http://www.weather.gov/nwr/indexnw.htm#sametable, given in the manual, and the station was received with a strong signal.  I set up the unit in my bedroom since I'm a very sound sleeper and can easily sleep through alarm clocks unless they're across the room.  So far we haven't had any events with warnings, so I don't know how loud a warning is--I have it silenced so that only warnings will sound, but I may try 'Auto-On' to see how that works.

The only problem I had was with the blue backlight which was too bright for my darkened bedroom.  After the first night I turned it off by pressing the 'OK' button while I docked it.  It took several tries before I got it right and the light turned off.

In all, I think this unit is well-constructed and appears quite robust.  The belt-clip and 3 'AA' batteries enable it to be carried 'in the field' if necessary.  I'm looking forward to seeing what else Acurite has up their collective sleeves for the hobbyist.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 09:59:56 AM »
#1, Get it to some other place besides Wally World.  I NEVER go there for any reason!

#2, Make certain the user can exclude Amber Alerts.  (Don't get me started!)

#3, Make sure the audio alarm is adjustable for volume and selectable for tone and duration.  Some people can't handle certain tones.  My current (other brand) unit sounds the tone far too long and I'd like to be able to cut it back to 5 seconds or so.

#4, Provide a selectable visual indicator.  If I'm outside when an alert is sent, obviously I'll miss the tone and audio.  A flashing indicator visible from across a room would show that something is active.  My current unit only has a small, flush mounted LED.  Very easy to miss from any distance.

#5, Make sure the audio shuts off after the alert broadcast and does not continue into other information.  I believe there is usually a code burst transmitted for that purpose.

#6, Provide auxiliary outputs for other audible and visual alert devices.  Also for auxiliary power inputs such as 12VDC.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Thanks for the feedback-
The AcuRite portable weather radio is available at many other retailers other than Walmart- Bass Pro & Cabela's for example. You can program radio to ignore certain advisories and alerts, but not warnings per NOAA guidelines. The volume is adjustable. Our radio DOES have LED indicators for advisories, watches and warnings. This radio includes an AC powered dock for everyday use, and the radio has a backup battery for power loss or when you need to move quickly during an emergency. The radio has a EXT jack integrated for audio, future plans include the addition of a output for external audio/visual notification devices.

AcuRite also has a desktop radio with all of the same features that will be available at Lowes, and some other major retailers soon.

i found a few videos some folks out there have made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vrr7qMAVp8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WXa4I_xyvk&feature=related

I just brought ours with camping this last weekend- no weather emergencies thankfully. A few years ago we had a big storm come through during a camping trip and had a good bit of damage as a result of not knowing.

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 07:20:33 AM »
Sounds like a good radio, especially if you need battery backup for when AC fails.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:23:22 AM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »
I bought a AcuRite 8550 from Walmart last week.  Have previously used Uniden, RadioShack, and Midland wx radios.

Thoughts on the AcuRite:

Cons:   Warning alert is a joke.  It's nothing more than the tone the NWS broadcasts directly to the receiver! There is not really a seperate "warning alert" that sounds from this radio at all.  Will this even wake me up in the middle of the night?  I have to give serious negative marks here...since that is the #1 primary reason to own a wx radio.

Audio has static in it.  It's not from poor reception.  It seems to be a natural occurance with this unit itself.  Audio is always full of static or "white noise".

Stations are listed by "channel" and not by frequency.  This does me absolutely no good whatsoever.  What I need to know is what FREQUENCY am I tuned to?  That way I can know that I'm going to get warnings broadcast to me from the appropriate tower.  The software needs to be changed to show the frequency on the screen, not some arbortrary "channel" number.

Pros:  Everything else.  Great price, love the docking stand, belt clip, and battery backup.  Love that I can grab it and take it with me on the run.  Ease of use is fantastic.  Feels solid for the price.  All around great radio.  Just needs a few changes.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline larryf

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 08:53:25 AM »
I can't seem to find this on Walmart's website...  Is this only available in some areas?

Walmart has free shipping to store and (sometimes) 99 cent shipping to home when you order items online.

Larry

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »
Just a suggestion....the external connection to an alert device would be good. I have several deaf friends who live out in the country and while they have their door bells that flash lights in the house they don't have any way to "see" a weather alert unless the TV is on.

Offline larryf

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
I found the Walmart link...  But they will not ship to home or another store, all you can do is look at stock in a local Walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acurite-Weather-Alert-Radio/16888929

It was interesting to note someone was selling one of these on Ebay, and he claimed it was too loud and you could not turn the volume down. I'll probably pick one of these up later this week, if it works as advertised it's a great deal for $30.

Larry

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
The volume of alerts is set at the NWS required DB level, there is a volume control that may be used after the initial alert is received and announces the entire message. AcuRite radios all have S.A.M.E. and had to go through rigorous testing by the NWS and NOAA prior to approval for sale. We were told that our radios has one of the best reception ever tested- we are very proud of that. Because of all the testing we went through, we are able to put the NOAA approval logo and the Public Alert logo on our packaging. If you do not see these logos on packaging, manufacturers likely did not go through the proper testing to make sure their radio is up to snuff.

The channel is displayed as a singular number instead of a frequency because there are only 7 total frequencies, which would require a minimum of 34 additional LCD segments to display- which would affect the readability of the scrolling alphanumeric text. Every LCD panel requires a hardware driver to energize each individual LCD segment. The drivers are matched and selected based on overall LCD size and..how many total segments there are in the panel. We had a specific price point in mind to make our radio a great value for all folks, while making sure we include great features like S.A.M.E.- If we had displayed the full frequencies instead of singular channel numbers- there would have been too many segments for the current driver, resulting in a less readable display with contrast issues- and a different driver would have to be used- the price would also certainly bump up.

Would it help if the cross referenced 7 channel frequencies were etched or printed in the back of the radio unit? Let me know what else you would like to see in a radio, I would love to hear more from the enthusiasts! I design these products for AcuRite, and I am always looking for input directly from the end-user- makes for better products for all!

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »
The volume of alerts is set at the NWS required DB level, there is a volume control that may be used after the initial alert is received and announces the entire message. AcuRite radios all have S.A.M.E. and had to go through rigorous testing by the NWS and NOAA prior to approval for sale. We were told that our radios has one of the best reception ever tested- we are very proud of that. Because of all the testing we went through, we are able to put the NOAA approval logo and the Public Alert logo on our packaging. If you do not see these logos on packaging, manufacturers likely did not go through the proper testing to make sure their radio is up to snuff.

The channel is displayed as a singular number instead of a frequency because there are only 7 total frequencies, which would require a minimum of 34 additional LCD segments to display- which would affect the readability of the scrolling alphanumeric text. Every LCD panel requires a hardware driver to energize each individual LCD segment. The drivers are matched and selected based on overall LCD size and..how many total segments there are in the panel. We had a specific price point in mind to make our radio a great value for all folks, while making sure we include great features like S.A.M.E.- If we had displayed the full frequencies instead of singular channel numbers- there would have been too many segments for the current driver, resulting in a less readable display with contrast issues- and a different driver would have to be used- the price would also certainly bump up.

Would it help if the cross referenced 7 channel frequencies were etched or printed in the back of the radio unit? Let me know what else you would like to see in a radio, I would love to hear more from the enthusiasts! I design these products for AcuRite, and I am always looking for input directly from the end-user- makes for better products for all!

Yeah like I said, it's not a reception issue at all.  The radio receives the audio fine.  It's just white noise embedded in the audio.  Not a big deal...just something that I don't experience with any other radios.

As far as the channel listing..yeah it would at least be some help if there was a list printed on the back of the unit.  During "automatic setup" the radio told me that Channel 5 was the strongest channel, and it's going to use that one as default.  I was thinking, "UM, ok that's cool...but what channel IS channel 5?  Is that the tower that is going to send warnings to me?  Because if not, I don't care if channel 5 is the strongest signal or not!"  I can receive at least 3 or 4 NOAA towers from my house, but until last year only 1 of them sent warnings for my county (now there are 2 that do).  So I need to know the frequency I'm tuned to, not the channel that this brand of radio wants to use.  Does that make sense?

With the alert tone..  when a warning is issued, the "alert tone" that the AcuRite radio emits is exactly the same alert tone that you would hear if you were monitoring the station with the tones turned off.  In other words, the AcuRite radio simply turns ON when a warning comes out...it doesn't sound a loud, seperate, brand specific tone like all the other radios I've ever used.  This really confused me at first.  It works....it just doesn't work as well.

Again, other than these 3 points I can find no fault with the radio.  It's a GREAT value at $30 bucks.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:54 PM »
Wxman
Are you confusing alert tone with the alarm?  If you are listening to the stream, yes the tone will sound just like nws tone, because that is what you are listening to.  If you have the alarm on, if a tone is rec'd and you are not listening to the radio, it will sound a 75dB alarm.

I have never seen a radio that doesnt just list the 7 channels. The channel frequencies go up by .025 Mhz from 162.400 to 162.550.  Not too hard to look up or figure out, but I can see how a small label would help.  Of course since all radio's seem to list by numbers 1 to 7, then maybe the NWS should list the channel number on their sites in addition to radio frequency..

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 03:10:01 AM »
Wxman

I have never seen a radio that doesnt just list the 7 channels. The channel frequencies go up by .025 Mhz from 162.400 to 162.550.  Not too hard to look up or figure out, but I can see how a small label would help.  Of course since all radio's seem to list by numbers 1 to 7, then maybe the NWS should list the channel number on their sites in addition to radio frequency..

Andrew

Unfortunately there are two ways of listing the channels, I've had several radios over the years and have seen it listed both ways:

162.400   WX 2  Numerical Channel # 1
162.425   WX 4  Numerical Channel # 2
162.450   WX 5  Numerical Channel # 3
162.475   WX 3  Numerical Channel # 4
162.500   WX 6  Numerical Channel # 5
162.525   WX 7  Numerical Channel # 6
162.550   WX 1  Numerical Channel # 7

Both of the current radios I'm using list the full frequency (Reecom R1630C / Midland HH54VP2), the Midland is about the same size as the Acurite, but with some added (and very useful) features - I'll post a review shortly.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
Wxman
Are you confusing alert tone with the alarm?  If you are listening to the stream, yes the tone will sound just like nws tone, because that is what you are listening to.  If you have the alarm on, if a tone is rec'd and you are not listening to the radio, it will sound a 75dB alarm.

Andrew

I'm talking about when the radio is silent and is in the mode where it's simply sitting there monitoring for watches and warnings.  When a warning is issued, there is no separate, loud, brand-specific alert tone that gets your attention.  It simply turns on the radio.  That's all it does.  This is very different from any other weather radio I've used in the past 30 years.

Also..  last week a Tornado Watch was issued, and the radio didn't even turn on!  It illuminated the orange LED light on the top of the radio, but it did not send out a tone and the audio did not come on automatically.  My wife was sitting right next to it, and said it didn't make a sound at all... just turned on the LED.

I'm going to be watching it closely throughout the rest of severe weather season, and if it doesn't start acting like a wx radio should act, I'll contact AcuRite and see what they can do for me.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
That doesnt sound right.  I would contact them now instead.   Maybe Rhino will respond again now that you have posted that additional info.  I thought I read in the manual you cant even opt out of alarm for warnings, only watches.

My midland is setup to be quiet for everything except Tor Warning and Tstorm Warning.   All the other warnings (used up here) do not really need a loud alarm, for me or my area anyway.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline larryf

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
I just picked one up...  I thought the reception was pretty good all over the house, even better than the Oregon Scientific I own. My Midland beats them all, but it does have a 2 foot antenna. Haven't heard the 'warning' sound yet, maybe if I'm home tomorrow when the weekly test happens.

Setup was really easy, didn't even use the manual (although I did have to look up the FIPS code and freq online). The OS and Midland radios are more complicated, this seems intuitive. I also see it can 'scan' to get the strongest signal... that will work great when traveling. I like the blue backlight and the advisory/watch/warning colors are a nice touch. It doesn't charge batteries, but none of my other radios do either. Seems fairly solid for an inexpensive radio.

The manual didn't say if the radio stops immediately after the warning, or if it stays on for 5 minutes (like my Midland does). My wife makes me get up and shut the Midland off, that's one of the reasons I only use the Oregon Scientific radio in the Summer thunderstorm season.

In future radios you might want to have the backlight light up red/yellow/orange. I have a Bushnell wireless weather forcaster that changes backlight colors with the temperature outside, makes it easy to see at a glance.

Time will tell if it holds up as I can be a bit rough with portable electronics...  But so far I'm happy with it and it's the cheapest weather radio I ever bought!

Larry

Offline larryf

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »

Also..  last week a Tornado Watch was issued, and the radio didn't even turn on!  It illuminated the orange LED light on the top of the radio, but it did not send out a tone and the audio did not come on automatically.  My wife was sitting right next to it, and said it didn't make a sound at all... just turned on the LED.

It's something you have to set up...  By default, the radio will alarm for all warnings, but not most watches or advisories. Page 15 and 16 in the manual, look at 'edit alerts'.  A description of each alert starts on page 19. 

It looks like you can't turn off warnings, you can only toggle watches and advisories. I don't know why I would need a volcano or avalanche warning in western PA   :-)

Larry

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 09:41:18 AM »

It's something you have to set up...  By default, the radio will alarm for all warnings, but not most watches or advisories. Page 15 and 16 in the manual, look at 'edit alerts'.  A description of each alert starts on page 19. 

It looks like you can't turn off warnings, you can only toggle watches and advisories. I don't know why I would need a volcano or avalanche warning in western PA   :-)

Larry

Interesting.....

Tornado Watches are fairly serious items.  Not sure why this would be defaulted to "off".  Will check it out..thanks.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:58 AM »
I would agree they are fairly serious.  However aren't Tor watches issued sometimes several hours before expected behaviour?  Typically as storms develop a Tstorm warnings would be issued as the danger became immanent or occurring, then Tor Warnings on top?  So there would/should be at least one "alarm" condition before you got Tor warning...

Andrew

Interesting.....
Tornado Watches are fairly serious items.  Not sure why this would be defaulted to "off".  Will check it out..thanks.

Offline larryf

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
I was at 'home office' when the weekly test went off on the new radio. Yep, it was a loud tone, not just the NWS bleeps and bloops. Also it shut off when the alert was done. If your radio doesn't do that, I think it should be returned.

My Midland does not shut off immediately, it runs for 5 minutes after a warning. Long enough to drive the cat crazy, get the wife upset, and make me get up to shut it off. 

I'm going to leave the tornado watch off for now. Too bad there wasn't a way to have advisories and watches alarm during daylight hours only, but I don't know of any radio that does that.

Larry

Offline smorris

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Long Road Station
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 10:20:42 PM »
Based on this thread, I picked up an Accu-Rite Model #08550 weather alert radio tonight. It has great reception, better than my desktop First Alert SAME radio with an 18" antenna. The first Alert is by my desk, and I don't always hear it in bed. I'll put this one on the night stand.

Question: When it is on the base with the wall-wart plugged in, does it switch to using AC instead of the internal batteries?

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus w/FARS, Leaf & Soil Station

CWOP • WU • AWEKAS • CoCoRaHS • Skywarn • MWWN • UK Met • PWS • WeatherBug • TwitterFacebook

anything