Author Topic: Is the Vantage View really worth the extra money vs. a ws-1080 or similar?  (Read 5326 times)

Offline TurnTex

Hello, folks!  This is my first post here.  I found this forum when searching for a way to hook up a Davis Vantage Vue to a computer without having to buy their expensive option.

I am interested in weather but would not consider it as a hobby, I already have too many of those!  I just want to be able to have an accurate reading on rain, temp, and wind.  Yesterday, I decided to start looking for some type of inexpensive wireless system.  I started out looking at the Dr. Tech and other Fine Offset Electronics stations.  I like the price and at first, would not have considered the Davis.  However, after doing more reading and getting a good price quote from Scientific Sales, I am now seriously considering the Davis Vantage View.  The Pro2 is out of the budget and not an option.

Couple of questions:
The main thing I like about the Davis is it is made in the USA and I assume the Fine Offset systems are made in China? 
Which one will hold up the longest in Texas heat?
Which one is going to give the most accurate readings?

I can buy a fine offset for around $90 vs. the Davis Vantage Vue for $256.99.  Is it really worth the extra cost for the Davis?

Also, I have a full size, real windmill in my back yard.  Would it be worth thinking about installing the sensors on it somehow to get it higher off the ground?

Any other things I should be thinking about?  Things are tight money wise but I do believe that only a rich man can afford cheap tools so am thinking the Davis may be the best way to go.  Help push me over the edge or steer me in a better direction!

Offline TurnTex

Re: Is the Vantage View really worth the extra money vs. a ws-1080 or similar?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:42 PM »
BTW,  I live outside of town on 15 acres and have plenty of room.  I do have a lot of trees around, though.  I also plan to have whatever system I end up with on Weather Underground for others to use.  There are no PWS within 15 miles of me, at least none that are reporting.  Not sure if any of that makes an difference.  Just thought I would throw it out there.

Also, does the cable that is sold here for the Vantage Vue work well?  I don't care about data logging since my computer is always on and always connected to the net and we SELDOM have power outages.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »
Hello, folks!  This is my first post here.  I found this forum when searching for a way to hook up a Davis Vantage Vue to a computer without having to buy their expensive option.

Any other things I should be thinking about?  Things are tight money wise but I do believe that only a rich man can afford cheap tools so am thinking the Davis may be the best way to go.  Help push me over the edge or steer me in a better direction!

A couple of things to consider:

1.  Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay!  :)
2.  Some sellers have a "send us an email and we'll send you a price that's too low to advertise" price.  Many also have price matching.  Shop around for the best deal.
3.  Someone on here made a connection thing that doesn't log or require the additional data logger.  I'm sure they'll be chiming in with their device.  If you're on a really tight budget, that might be the best way to go (unless you're an electronic whiz that can make your own).

I can't comment on the Vue, I have a VP2.  But I was impressed with the Davis quality and especially their customer service.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure!  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:33:38 PM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:39 PM »
The part about being on 15 acres and having plenty of room makes it sound like the Vue is the way to go! Since it's an "all-in-one" station it sounds like you could mount it in a location that all-in-ones are designed for, out in the open around 6 feet off the ground. You'll get the ideal location for temperature, rain and wind readings.

I can't vouch for Acu-rite but their "all-in-one" with p.c. connect may be worth looking into as an option also.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:20:39 AM by DanS »

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:12:41 AM »
Hi and welcome.

I originally had and OS928, which was very good, but that eventually died.  So at Christmas I bought wh3080 made by F.O.  That was not a good unit at all, flimsey, unreliable, numerous faults (I actually had two units, both of which failed) so I bought a Davis Vue a couple of weeks back.
There is simply no comparison! The Vue is sturdy, rigid, well built, well documented, well supported, an excelent peice of kit. Minor down side by comparison, is that it is an all in one unit, but in your case that wont make any real diffference.  The fact that it reports the wind every 2.5 secs is just brilliant.

Would I reccomend it, 100%

Pay the extra over the FO, you wont regret it.  Also, I gather Sloweather's PC interface works very well, judging by comments on here,

Woody

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:53:40 AM »
Speaking as an owner of a 1080 clone, I think they work just fine. Mine has to contend with the heat in the summer and below zero in the winter. Two plus years now and nothing to complain about. I am considering upgrading but it appears other than the wind updating every 2.5 seconds the Vue and my system report in a similar time frame.

I am not knocking the Vue, check Scientific Sales as they have bundles with the Davis systems and the data-logger you'll need to upload to your PC. For me I have stopped looking at upgrading, if my system fails and I have the extra $$$ I'll probably go with the VP2.

Todd

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
I have had a Vue on the roof since Oct.
I live NW of Dallas in SW Denton Co.  Every week I compare my readings with DFW Airport (16 miles away) and Denton Airport (9miles away).  I continue to be impressed with the accuracy of the Vue.  Even with the rain guage up on the roof, higher than they are supposed to be, my readings are extremely close to what official stations report.  I am very pleased.

I have looked at the thread by the guy who built his own data logger.  It appears to be a fairly technical procedure by guys accustomed to building circuit boards, which I am not.  I give them credit because the logger and the software to put weather data on the Internet was a considerable additional expense.  If you have the expertise to build something like that, great!

Now as far as the Texas heat.  This has been discussed here also, but as we know, last summer was a true scorcher with temps over 100 every day.  My Vue has yet to be exposed to this and I will just have to see how it records the heat compared to the other stations.
Since I have already purchased the data logger and software, I am wishing that I had the Davis Pro 2 with the FARS.  It just sounds to me that in Texas heat, that fan would really help for accuracy.  But I won't really be able to speak about it till the end of summer.  I really like my Vue, but if the summer temps are very far off (too high), I will be forced to consider the Pro.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
I have had my Vantage Pro2 standard radiation shield going all summer up here in McKinney TX. I have found if you sight the sensor near concrete it will read higher but other than that it's been fine. Try to site it in the open away from concrete but in an area that gets good wind.

Try Archer Trading. You can email them and ask if they will match Scientific Sales price. Ryan of Archer Trading is a really nice guy. Really like working with him. Archer Trading offers Expidited Shipping for around the same price as those other guys offer for normal shipping. For Texas usually takes 2-3 days.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline llbts1

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 07:34:17 PM »
TurnTex, I was in the same boat as you. I read this forum and searched all I could. 1. Made in USA. 2."only a rich man can afford cheap tools", applies here also. Was close to pulling the trigger on the WS-1080, but my tools have to last. I cant afford to buy a trial station, to find out I wanted, need more. Do it right the first time. This morning I bought a Vue and logger from RainmanWeather. Nice guy, great price and will take the time to answer you questions, and has a very informative web site. Fast shipper also, station will be here Thursday. I think you already  know what your going to do, now pull the trigger and do it. Larry                  PS, thanks to all here that share  your knowledge and experiences, it really helped me

Offline TurnTex

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
Well, I just pulled the trigger!  I ordered the Vue from Rainmanweather at the recommendation of SLOweather in a PM discussing his cable!  Price was a few bucks higher than the other place but shipping was less so it was a net savings of a few bucks.  Looking forward to getting it.  Now am heading over to SLOweather's site to order the cable!  Thanks for the feedback, folks!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
Congratulations to all y'all!   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ukwoody

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 03:45:37 AM »
Well done guys!
woody

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
The Vue is a solid station and Davis is to be commended for designing it and at the price it is offered at.

The dongle and software for computer hookup and Internet may be more debateable.

Offline croseiv

• CWOP station DW9333 Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:21:28 PM »
I think you'll be happy with your decision. I've had my VVue for almost two months, and it's a great station. The accuracy seems top notch.

Offline llbts1

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:48:28 PM »
Mr UPS just dropped it off today. Let the festivities begin  \:D/

Offline TurnTex

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 09:26:20 PM »
Mine just got here today!  I hope to get it up tomorrow.  I am going to start a new thread about siting options here in a minute.