Author Topic: Missing Data  (Read 4632 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Missing Data
« on: April 28, 2007, 10:25:16 PM »
I went to check out my NOAA Summary for March of this year and found no data. Checking the plots and and strip charts there was no data there either. The WLK file is there in the folder for March 2007 but for whatever reason the data wasn't transfered. I know the weather station and software were operating back then so that's isn't the problem. Does anyone know a way to transfer this data? Never had this problem before.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Missing Data
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 08:00:11 PM »
Do you have data for this month stored?

If not, could be the datalogger is not storing any data.  Maybe power down the console and unhook the datalogger for a minute or so.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 03:03:06 AM »
The WLK file for March 2007 is there so I assume the data should be in there.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:00:01 PM »
Just curious, what file size does your computer show for 2007-03.wlk?  

My .wlk files all seem to average around 260KB.  I'm wondering if the data is missing.  That's also why I was wondering if you could pull up data from April.  If April is also missing I would still look for a corruption problem in the data logger that a power down and restart might fix.  But if only March is missing, don't no what to make of that.

I've not used it myself but you might want to give the program at the link below a look over:

http://www.ruysfamily.com/WLKReaderWriter/WLKAppDownload.html

If it opens it up the file, maybe it will provide a clue as to what is missing or damaged preventing WeatherLink from opening it.  Just something to try.  :-k

Due to my station being down I'm thinking about trying to use the program to add data from the local airport to fill in the gaps in my April .wlk file.  Up until this point I've never dug into WeatherLink as it has always just worked.  But the gap in my continuous records going back to 2002 as a result of the ISS problem still bugs me.       :wink:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
The file size is 378kb which is about the size of all the other ones. I know the data is there because I saw them in the browse menu, the plot screen and the strip charts.  The April data is there too. Tech support at Davis had never heard of this before.
The only thing I can think of is when they transfered all the data from my old pc to this one some how that month didn't make it. All the other data back to 2003 is all there. I still have the harddrive from old pc also so maybe there is a way to get it off there
I'll give that program a try and see what it turns up. Thanks for the link.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:14:53 PM »
Quote from: "ocala"
... I know the data is there because I saw them in the browse menu, the plot screen and the strip charts.  ....

The only thing I can think of is when they transfered all the data from my old pc to this one some how that month didn't make it. All the other data back to 2003 is all there. ....

Ah, I was thinking by transfer you meant from the weather station to the computer to the Weatherlink files rather than from the old computer to the new computer.

I think I'm on the same page as you now.   :lol:

Unless your a computer geek and looking for fun, :wink: might see if the computer shop will burn the WeatherLink file from the old drive to a DVD or CD for you.  Then you would not need to haul the new computer back to them or spend time hooking up the drive to copy it yourself.
Mark