Author Topic: 'ats what uhm talkin' bout!  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
'ats what uhm talkin' bout!
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:50:31 AM »

Once in awhile, the light's right, the colors intense, birds are happy, coffee's good, and all's right in the world.

Good Morning Universe!

-

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: 'ats what uhm talkin' bout!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 10:24:40 AM »
Too good  =D>

Ok....spill....camera, special filters, capture software, etc.....

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
 :grin:
No filters. Logitech C920, in halogen light fixture. Captured with Webcam 7. Only adjustment made was a 1 pixel focus adjustment with a nifty program called "Focus Magic" http://www.focusmagic.com/ which I acquired several years ago. EXIF data added with Opanda Power Exif Pro.
Honest.
Remember, early morning, shooting west, sun behind us. Average quality rarely approaches this especially midday, to sunset with this west facing cam.
My cam links are at my website in sig, if you want to see what they look like most of the time. :roll:

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
Funny you posted this because...

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Logitech 920 myself to replace the older Logitech whatever it is I have now LOL.

As you can see by my weather camera photo (which I have attached) I want a sharper clearer image. Don't ask what contraption I used to mount the web camera on the roof, it's complicated lol.

On a 1-10 scale what would you rate the performance overall? Thanks!

Don in Ohio

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
blizzardof78
I want a sharper clearer image.
:grin: Did you happen to read the post I just recently put up about the "Hubble Fix"? http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=19044.0 That image above was taken with no correction lens. (Before I thought of it!) There was a 1 pixel focus adjustment made in software to the captured image. Other than that, raw from camera. You oughta see what the 'Hubbled' versions are doin'!
Don, I rate 'em high enough that I just ordered another, and am currently streaming three 920s and a 910. Since I just got the updating and new installs working, and
still need some nitpicking, it'll be a day or two, but might post images taken with the "Hubbled" cams. They are running on site link in my sig, but got a couple of quick fixes I gotta make up on the ladder.  #-o
Can't focus to 14.6 billion light years, but by golly, I got past the 10 foot barrier!  8-)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:44:23 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 09:55:45 PM »
Hi Cutty Sark Sailor ... I read it after you posted the link. I haven't been on here in a good while so have been out of the loop. I guess the only thing I need to decide now is if I want to order the 920 off eBay at between 65 and 85 dollars or just go to Best Buy and purchase for $99. May I ask, where did you order from?

I actually took a small 84 cent plastic storage container that is no more than 8" long; 6" wide and 6" deep and drilled a hole in it for the camera lense to see through. I then drilled small enough holes for two zip ties to go through to secure the camera in place. Then I just placed white paper inside the box all four sides and the top to keep as much direct light out. Snapped it closed and walla there you have it. Attached to the roof with two 4" deck screws.

When I get the 920 I'll modify a few things. I'll have to check into that little deal you made mention of. I guess my biggest complaint wasn't "sharpness" as the current cam has a focus set to "infinity" but the "color". However blue skies proved to show some sweet photos today.

My next project MIGHT be to try and figure out how to get the thing to stream video. I'm pretty much incompetent when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

Don in Ohio

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 11:43:21 PM »
Amazon: $73
My originals (C9000, C910) mounted in halogen light fixtures. Cheap, but some extra work, and juryrigging. Found great camera housings @ Amazon, $25  - the tripod mount on the 920 and 910 mounts in these in a snap, using a 'very' flathead bolt. Piece of cake. No mod needed on camers. Just sock it in there.  Remember, "infinity" on many of those webcams is often only about 3M.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:46:34 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »