Author Topic: Repeated signal dropouts  (Read 22310 times)

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
Re: Repeated signal dropouts
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 11:52:09 AM »
Surefire claims batteries working range -76º to 176º F.

Do they specify what "working range" means, like how many volts and how many mAh capacity at -76°F? I can't find specifications on their battery.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 11:54:02 AM »
Welcome, I think it should fix the cold weather issues for most part. Amazon has them box of 12 for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035HB694/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:56:29 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »
I ordered them from Battery Junction. batteryjunction.com I needed some other batteries as well.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks, Randy, for the suggestion.
Ditto this!  \:D/

Greg H.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 12:02:33 PM »
I don't like ordering batteries online because you never know how old they will be. These batteries lose approx 5% charge per year on a shelf (marketing claims to the contrary I have a hard time believing).

How I got into this mess (potentially, yet to be confirmed) is I ordered from a trusted weather retailer and I didn't really pay attention to the expiration date on the package. It was a few years out so no big deal, right? Well, it was 7 years old (approx 35% discharged) by the time I popped it into my ISS.

It's a crap shoot online. I like to walk into the store and see the dates on the packages.
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 02:11:26 PM »
I just inserted a new SureFire CR123a battery in both transmitters.

Temp was 9F and falling. Tomorrow's forecasted high is 7 and Friday's high is 3 with below zero temps possible both nights and Saturday won't leave the single digits. The old batteries would have conked out multiple times during a stretch like that. We'll see...

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
That didn't take long!

The anemometer 6332 transmitter dropped out 3 times last night starting around 8PM (just for a moment), again at ~12:30AM (just for a moment) and it disconnected completely from the console (with the dreaded dashes appearing in the wind field) at ~6:30AM lasting almost an hour until I put the console in setup mode.

The ISS seems to have had no issues.

Anybody have experience with anny transmitter drop outs during cold weather? This thing is barely 2 years old and hasn't given me any other trouble.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 08:16:56 AM »
When I purchased my original anny transmitter, it immediately had issues keeping a connection with the console. After trying everything I could I contacted Davis and they had me send it back and sent me a new one. Upon arrival the new one worked great, and has had no issues for over 2 years now here in our harsh winter climate in western Maine.

It's usually a last resort option, but maybe give Davis a call or send them an email to see what they say. They should walk you through the process of how to figure out what's up.

Best of luck!
   - Matt
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »
Agree it could just be a bad unit, In the meantime I would relocate console and maybe boost strength.
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
Something else to try change transmitter on wind Iss to #6. Why because it works well for me.  :lol:
Randy

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
It's on channel 8 (ISS is on 6). Previously it was on 2. Same diagnostic performance on either channel. Doesn't look to be an interference issue.

I've already relocated console to an optimum position where signal strength (RSSI) averages mid to upper 40s (out of 60) and packet completion (when its not super cold and drop outs occur) is 98% or 99%. I can't get it better than that. I've walked around with the console enough to know.

I don't believe it's a weak signal. It's something to do with sustained, extreme cold that shuts down the transmitter.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 08:37:13 AM »
Anybody have experience with anny transmitter drop outs during cold weather?

Both of mine are fine. (currently 0°F here)

Greg H.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2018, 08:40:30 AM »

I don't believe it's a weak signal. It's something to do with sustained, extreme cold that shuts down the transmitter.

Bad transmitter could be solder losing contact somewhere when the cold restricts it slightly.
Randy

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
That’s what I’m thinking it is. We’ve been -15F to -25F since Christmas nearly each night here with no transmission issues so far. The station should have no issues under these conditions until the battery becomes worn out and you have a lack of sunlight due to shorter days/lower sun angle.

Even then, based off of your description I would agree with ValentineWeather that it’s probably a bad connection being amplified to the point of lost connection during cold temps.
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »
Thanks everyone for the input.

Is it possible to use a spare ISS as a wind transmitter? I think I remember reading you can't do that, but just asking because I do have a spare ISS.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:29 AM »
All the field ISS's are the same and will work. The restriction is with the console only using 1 as the primary station.

Primary is the only one you can plug rain gauge and solar/UV stuff into. Wind can use seperate ISS as long as its programmed on console like you've done.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:33:44 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »
If you have a spare ISS I'd say definitely try it out when you get a chance. At the very least if you notice it working well, it will point you towards knowing that the issue is in fact with your other ISS/anemometer transmitter and not with the console itself, even though we are pretty sure that isn't the case already. But it's always good to be sure.

Are you seeing dropouts with the ISS and anny transmitter, or just the anny transmitter now that batteries have been replaced in both. I would have a hard time believing you have two bad transmitters, but one is very believable. If its both, than testing things out with your spare ISS may lead you into the direction of believing that its actually not an issue with the transmitters but rather that there is in fact a reception issue with the console itself if you still see reception problems on your console with that ISS in use.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:37:14 AM by MonumentHillWeather »
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
Looks like maybe Sunday or Monday will be my first shot at decent weather to perform "pole surgery". Bitter cold and blowing snow until then. Gotta take my gloves off to deal with the nuts/washers/locks. If they fall in the snow, they'll be there until spring as the drifts out there are no joke!

Also, I found out the fancy battery tester will be here Saturday, so I'll post back this weekend about the batteries I took out of each transmitter and their true state (after ~8 months of usage).

In the meantime, if anyone has anything new to share, please do. Thanks!

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »
Are you seeing dropouts with the ISS and anny transmitter, or just the anny transmitter now that batteries have been replaced in both.

Since replacing both batteries yesterday, only the anemometer transmitter has dropped out. I'll post back if that changes.

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 10:12:21 AM »
Okay then that leads me to believe its most likely an issue with the anny transmitter itself.

You're doing everything right by trying all different options first. I would say do just that, give it a bit more time (at the same time while waiting for the weather to improve a bit so you can get out there!), and if you see solid transmission between the ISS and the console still, but continue to have issue with the anny transmitter, then definitely contact Davis about the issue, and let them know about all the diagnostic steps you've already taken on your own to try to resolve the problem, and they will be able to help you out from there.
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 06:56:43 AM »
ISS dropped out this morning for about half an hour until I threw the console in setup mode to re-establish connection. So both transmitters are acting up again.

What I don't understand is that before replacing the battery in the ISS, I was seeing half a dozen drop outs a day. This one waited 36 hours to manifest. Very weird. If it were the console, the pattern should have just continued on like normal. There's been no improvement in the weather. Also, if it were the console, I would think there would be as many drop outs during the day (relative to its 9 hr length) as there are at night. As it stands, I've only ever seen a couple drop outs during the day and that's on the anemometer, never on the ISS.

Going back to what we know: there's a correlation with temperature and transmission loss. But others in similar or worse conditions aren't necessarily seeing this. And the battery change produced an improvement (for the ISS) but not a total fix.

What if I order a Vue console to see if that can hold onto both signals? Are there any drawbacks to using that device like less frequent update intervals or any kind of gotchas compared to the VP2 console?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:52:05 AM by openvista »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2018, 07:14:43 AM »
I use the Vue as my primary because it has altimeter correction. My VP2 console is in the bedroom used just for visual. Vue works just like VP2 for separate  wind transmitter.
The downside is no UV/solar or additional sensor support like soil/leaf.
Randy

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2018, 07:26:26 AM »
I use the Vue as my primary because it has altimeter correction. My VP2 console is in the bedroom used just for visual. Vue works just like VP2 for separate  wind transmitter.
The downside is no UV/solar or additional sensor support like soil/leaf.

Don't care about the other sensors as long as I can put both wind and ISS on it.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Is anyone getting a "low battery" status on their problem transmitters associated with this low temperature issue? I am not, I keep checking and the batteries always come back as "OK" on the Weatherlink Alarm and Battery Status screen.

Greg H.

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
Something about this issue doesn't sit right with me. I have a hunch there's nothing "wrong" with my console other than it's reception is finicky under certain environmental conditions. If so that's design error considering the stated range of 200 to 400' through walls. I'm, at most, 60' feet through walls from either transmitter and I've got above average to perfect RSSI numbers on both. .

Having read through other threads on this issue, console reception in cold weather appears to be luck of the draw. Sometimes moving the console closer or further away or putting it higher or lower helps. Sometimes not. Notice the pattern? There is no pattern. The fact that a treasure hunt is even necessary to get a ~$300, 2 year old weather station console working simply because it got cold outside is beyond ridiculous to me.

Maybe I'm surly because in the last year while troubleshooting problems with my VP2 I've had to replace: multiple batteries (SIM, 6332, FARS), FARS fan, ISS transmitter, temp/humidity sensor suite, radiation shield, anemometer bearing, and now a console. So basically, I've got 2 weather stations, but I purchased in the most expensive way possible. Most of the equipment I replaced was well inside it's maintenance cycle or expected lifetime, and should NOT have needed replacement. Either I'm one unlucky dude or quality control at Davis is sorely lacking.

During this period, I contacted Davis support about an issue I discovered in the console firmware (that temperature offsets are not reflected in relative humidity or any derived variable using relative humidity such as dew point). They deftly and repeatedly kept stepping around the issue until, essentially, I forced the director of support to admit it (maybe a dozen emails later). And now you know why I don't want to contact Davis support. I don't trust them. I'd bet high that they know about this cold weather reception issue (with a separate issue being, perhaps, their insufficient OEM battery) but will lead people who contact support on a wild goose chase nonetheless. I don't need to have my time wasted too.

In any event, I've ordered a Vue console because they've got me by the short hairs. My website gets hundreds of visits per day and I've got hard core regulars who depend on it. I can't have the temperature reading "0" and the humidity "NaN" and so forth for extended periods.

You can bet that if this pattern continues, though, my next call won't be to Davis but to R.M. Young in Traverse City, Mich. They don't sell toys that break over there.