Author Topic: Coming up on 30 stations!  (Read 12875 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Coming up on 30 stations!
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:36:23 AM »
Last Thursday I headed~ 72 miles up California 1 to the southern end of Big Sur to Pacific Valley School (14 miles into Monterey County from San Luis Obispo County) to help get their WeatherElement station on-line. 

Mrs. SLOweather and I are familiar with that stretch of road, as Kirk Creek Campground, a few more miles up the road, is one of our favorite places to get away to. We were there a few years ago ( Oct 2004?) when some aftershocks of the San Simeon earthquake rolled through.

What an incredible place to go to school! Across the street (highway) is the Pacific Ocean. They generate all their own electricity (solar/batteries/inverters with propane generator backup). Internet is via a couple of fat pipe WildBlue Excede feeds. And the student/teacher ratio is about 2/1.

The Vantage Vue/WeatherElement data hub station was provided by a grant from PG&E.

We have one more station up in Atascadero that will be the 30th official WeatherElement station to go on-line, not counting 3 or 4 development stations that are on-line to test our new WeatherLab cellular station, and other Data Hubs in development. 

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Coming up on 30 stations!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 05:29:13 AM »
Congratulations Chris!
Looks like WE is beginning to catch on.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline mjhedger

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »
Atascadero is now online! When I have a little time, I'll explain my setup, issues, and solutions to get the system online.

Micky

weatherelement.com/ponywagon
weather.ponywagon.com

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:38 PM »
Sheesh, WeatherElement must be growing if I have to find out here on WxForum that we have a new station on-line. ;)

Congrats, Micky! I know you had an interesting go of getting it all working. Can't wait to hear the story.

I'll go into the database and add your station to the SLO County, North County, USA, and John Lindsey Weather Center Networks.

Chris

Atascadero is now online! When I have a little time, I'll explain my setup, issues, and solutions to get the system online.

Micky

weatherelement.com/ponywagon
weather.ponywagon.com
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:24:10 PM by SLOweather »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:06 AM »
Chris, I may have another candidate for you. It would go on this mountain...
http://www.forsalebyowner.com/listing/Acreage-Land-for-sale-by-owner-Distant-Ridge-Road-28779/24008765

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:19:40 PM »

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
LOL!! I WISH! The guy that is selling it, may not sell it, and if not, he's putting his own station up there. If you look through the pictures, you'll notice that NOAA has a station there right now.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 05:38:11 PM »
LOL!! I WISH! The guy that is selling it, may not sell it, and if not, he's putting his own station up there. If you look through the pictures, you'll notice that NOAA has a station there right now.

Gorgious country, for sure. Would love to have those kinds of views. I can just imagine what the fall colors must look like from that vantage point but, the mention of a National Park being planned for the area just might make it an undesirable location to live with all of the visitors, traffic and other issues generated by the public.

Well, if he does install his weather station up there, it will give NOAA something to check the accuracy of their instruments against...  :lol:
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 08:26:28 PM »
The problem is, NOAA is shutting down all of the stations. Here's a list: http://wallops-prf.gsfc.nasa.gov/Field_Campaigns/IPHEx/Gauge/index.html