Author Topic: TWC vs. DirecTV  (Read 28973 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: TWC vs. DirecTV
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:48 PM »
I tried this. It works about the same as the old DirecTV Weather Channel local "get it now" function. There was a mention about radar "coming soon". I hope that it isn't as tiny as TWC radar depiction was.

The only drawback to either WN or TWC, is that you have to wait so long for them to get around to your area. This new function helps.

Greg

I entered my zip code and it wasn't even close to the correct temperature.  Maybe they'll get the bugs worked out of it. 
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:30 PM »
I'm sure Weathernation is an alternative for DTV but the bottom line is money. TWC has got very big and is a household name so they can charge DTV more for their programming. Weathernation on the other hand is new with no clout and can't command the same as TWC for their programming.
Saying it would be a public safety threat just makes my point even more. They are so full of themselves that they actually believe this. :roll:
I think you hit it on the head Dave!  Full Of Themselves sums it pretty nicely!  Weather Nation is so so but could be better if they would offer a little more localized programming IMHO

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline WXjem

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
We cut the cord a couple of years ago. Still have cable, but for broadband only. The TV sits idle most of the time now. Sure have a lot more time for my hobbies, etc now. Don't miss it at all.
JnJ Ranch
Davis Vantage VUE, weewx software
WU: KWADUVAL11

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/03/can-the-weather-channel-survive-its-competitiors.html
Highlights:
...a correspondent interviewed shelter dogs hoping to become the channel’s official “Weather Therapy Dog,”

Naming winter storms: "...the National Weather Service (wasn't) amused, issuing a sternly worded memorandum prohibiting personnel from using the names in any NWS product. The internet-using public, by contrast, found the whole thing hilarious."

and a badly translated-for-the-hearing-impaired travel warning:
BAFFLING TO ME THEN NEXT IS DOWN THAT SPREAD DECRIES THE CHICAGO AREA AND SOME ORANGE FLAMES AS WE HEAD TO THE WEEKEND SOME NYMPH RESTAURANTS THE SUN MAY MAKE FOR SOME FREAKING TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

Huh?

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2014, 03:00:39 PM »
And the saga continues..........

(but it looks like it might have a happy ending!)

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2014, 09:13:12 PM »
I think that makes the saga over.

From Twitter
@WeatherNation Woo Hoo!!! Congrats on the multi-year agreement with Directv!! I'm excited for all of us! Weather when you want it! I'm in!!

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2014, 07:01:49 PM »
Looks like The Weather Channel is back on DirecTV, effective Wednesday, April 9.

http://press.weather.com/press-releases/weather-channel-returns-directv/

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & ATLANTA -- The Weather Channel will return to DIRECTV (channel 362) tomorrow as both companies have settled on a new agreement, the financial terms of which were not disclosed.

As part of the new pact, The Weather Channel agreed to reduce reality programming by half on weekdays; return instant local weather and allow authenticated DIRECTV customers to watch The Weather Channel video programming on multiple devices inside and outside the home.

“Our apologies to DIRECTV and their customers for the disruption of our service and for initiating a public campaign,” said David Kenny, CEO of The Weather Company, parent to The Weather Channel. “Our viewers deserve better than a public dispute, and we pledge to reward their loyalty with exceptional programming and more weather-focused news.”

“It’s a shame these disputes are played out on a public stage, but I’m pleased that we’ve been able to work together with The Weather Channel in a way that will benefit everyone,” said Dan York, DIRECTV’s chief content officer. “I know this was frustrating for many of our customers, but their patience was ultimately rewarded with a better deal and a better product.”

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
Looks like The Weather Channel is back on DirecTV, effective Wednesday, April 9.

http://press.weather.com/press-releases/weather-channel-returns-directv/

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. & ATLANTA -- The Weather Channel will return to DIRECTV (channel 362) tomorrow as both companies have settled on a new agreement, the financial terms of which were not disclosed.

As part of the new pact, The Weather Channel agreed to reduce reality programming by half on weekdays; return instant local weather and allow authenticated DIRECTV customers to watch The Weather Channel video programming on multiple devices inside and outside the home.

“Our apologies to DIRECTV and their customers for the disruption of our service and for initiating a public campaign,” said David Kenny, CEO of The Weather Company, parent to The Weather Channel. “Our viewers deserve better than a public dispute, and we pledge to reward their loyalty with exceptional programming and more weather-focused news.”

“It’s a shame these disputes are played out on a public stage, but I’m pleased that we’ve been able to work together with The Weather Channel in a way that will benefit everyone,” said Dan York, DIRECTV’s chief content officer. “I know this was frustrating for many of our customers, but their patience was ultimately rewarded with a better deal and a better product.”

THIS TOTALLY SUCKS!!! And so does TWC!!!

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »
They didn't say, but I hope it was TWC that moved to the DirecTV's position and not vice versa.  Seeing how DirecTV just signed WeatherNation, too, perhaps they're in a better negotiating position.

Now if TWC would only give us the option of watching in the morning without Al.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2014, 08:31:26 PM »

This is crazy. Since when do cable companies dictate to television stations what their format should be.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
Ideally the end user (us customers) dictate to the cable company what we would like to watch and in turn, the cable companies then dictate to the station what we are willing to pay for.

When I cancelled Dish, they asked why. I replied that I had nothing against the Dish company and that their equipment and services were great. The reason I cancelled was due to the poor program line up, and endless bombardment of advertising including the overlays during the show I am trying to watch.

The only tool us customers have to effect the TV programming is our $$$. If we stop sending it in the  direction of the cable companies, then the cable companies will pass the dissatisfaction on to their suppliers (the TV stations). If the stations listen to the cable companies, maybe customers will return and then both the cable and stations will be more successful.

It seems more and more that major companies are taking the "this is the product we are offering - take it or leave it" approach. Well more and more I am leaving it. I do not have to give my $$$ to a company whose focus is increasing profit at the expense of providing the products and services that I am paying for. Example: I was paying for a weather channel whose focus is weather. I was getting another "reality" channel and meaningless programming. I was disappointed when Dish backed down from their confrontation with TWC, lost an amount of respect for Dish and felt that my requirements were not represented. In the end it turned out to be one less station I watched and I cancelled.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:11:36 PM by Dr Obbins »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2014, 02:47:59 PM »
More to the story:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-directv-weather-channel-deal-20140408,0,1971266.story#axzz2yPs9EMQm

The sign that a new agreement between the Weather Channel and DirecTV was potentially in the works came Monday when the satellite broadcaster and the hotel chain Hilton Worldwide announced a deal that will get DirecTV's service into half a million guest rooms in the United States.

Hilton Worldwide Holdings is owned by the private equity firm Blackstone Group, which also has a large stake in the Weather Channel. Other Weather Channel owners include Bain Capital and Comcast Corp.'s NBCUniversal.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2014, 03:08:58 PM »
I hope that this doesn't mean that DirecTV will dump WeatherNation now.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2014, 05:24:57 PM »
I hope that this doesn't mean that DirecTV will dump WeatherNation now.

DirecTV recently signed a multi-year deal with WeatherNation. 

Dumping WeatherNation would diminish DirecTV's bargaining position in negotiating future agreements with TWC.

The Weather Channel is back on Channel 362, and WeatherNation is on Channel 361.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:27:40 PM by kray1000 »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2014, 07:01:58 PM »
DirecTV guy is coming tomorrow morning. Although I bought a dish and have set them up myself, there is just too much to do with moving in, so I took advantage of their movers deal. I'll check out the "return of TWC" when it is up and running again.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »

This is crazy. Since when do cable companies dictate to television stations what their format should be.

I am quite impressed that DTV was able to coax Weather Channel into changing programming. 

That was the problem in the first place-too much reality, not enough weather.

Wouldn't it have been a different world if people/providers would have protested when MTV quit showing music videos?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 08:09:35 PM by chief-david »

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
I wonder if they could convince them, naming winter storms is ridiculously silly.  =D>
Randy

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
I wonder if they could convince them, naming winter storms is ridiculously silly.  =D>

AGREED!!!  =D>

Offline WA4TM

« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »

X3

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: April 12, 2014, 09:37:25 PM »
So it looks like DTV did a great job coaxing  Weather Channel

Storms popping all over Iowa, Kansas, others.

Weather Channel has reality shows.

Weather Nation has weather.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2014, 11:00:39 PM »
The 'Weather' Channel's programming is apparently dictated by what's going to get them the most viewers.  Part of that formula is how many people (millions of people, actually) are currently affected by inclement weather as well as the severity of the weather.  A few thunderstorms in the hinterlands aren't of great concern to the denizens of the densely populated but currently unaffected urban megalopolises to which they cater.  Plus they don't incur much expense during re-runs of shows like 'Highway Thru Hell'.  As tomorrow's weather heats up in Chicago for instance, TWC will pay more attention to current events.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2014, 08:35:19 PM »
I thought TWC was suppose to show less reality programing. I watch it very little but when I'm channel surfing there always seems to be a reality program on.  :???:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2014, 08:38:18 PM »
TWC is now short for their new name...

The Waste Channel

anything