Author Topic: Canadian options for weather stations  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Kim P

Canadian options for weather stations
« on: November 21, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
I see a few pointers on places that may give deals on new units but everything seems to be out of the US or is %20 or more $$$ here in Canada I found some good prices on a site from RainmanWeather Sales but they don't ship to Canada. Do any of my fellow Canadians have any tips on good places to shop for a VP2 ? I'm in the Edmonton area.

Thanks

Kim

Offline tosealer

• Seal Backyard Weather
Re: Canadian options for weather stations
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 01:48:27 PM »
I see a few pointers on places that may give deals on new units but everything seems to be out of the US or is %20 or more $$$ here in Canada I found some good prices on a site from RainmanWeather Sales but they don't ship to Canada. Do any of my fellow Canadians have any tips on good places to shop for a VP2 ? I'm in the Edmonton area.
I purchased my VP2 system from http://www.scientificsales.com.  They ship to Canada, and their prices (at least when I bought mine a year and a half ago) were pretty good.

Toronto, ON  Canada
Davis VP2/WeatherDisplay
www.SealWeather.ca

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
Forthebirdsnatureshop.com  in NS. Call - you might get a deal. ;)  Don't forget ordering from the US right now adds 8% for exchange, brokerage etc.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:53:53 PM »
I second ForTheBirdsNatureShop.

Paul

Offline Tall_Guy

• East Uniacke, NS Current Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 08:00:41 AM »
I also recommend ForThe BirdsNatureSop here in Nova Scotia...great people to deal with.
http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/
Davis VantagePro2 weather station, controlled by 'weewx'.
East Uniacke, Hants Co., NS, Canada
http://camera.neutronstar.ca/weewx

Offline Kim P

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 09:54:39 PM »
Thanks for all your input and suggestions guys as it turned out I got a good quote from that first outfit scientific sales and the Birds nature shop came so darn close to matching it so I went with them because there in canada. And now I eagerly await the arrival of my new purchase.

Kim

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
Hi Kim,

As I am also in the market for a weather station and live in Ottawa, I was curious about your thoughts on your service from forthebirdsnatureshop.  Which station did you purchase?  What sort of turn around time did you get?  And just how close was the price you got from them as opposed to scientificsales?

Cheers!

Chris

Offline Tanner Ryan

• Hamilton Weather
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Try calling esolar. it used to be called efston science and it was an amazing science super store, but sadly closed down. I'm sure they would have surplus weather stations or have their "contacts". That's where I got mine!
Tanner Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada

Hamilton Weather

Offline chrisgrainger

• Contributor
    • Top of The Rideau
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
Try calling esolar. it used to be called efston science and it was an amazing science super store, but sadly closed down. I'm sure they would have surplus weather stations or have their "contacts". That's where I got mine!

That is the esolar.ca website I'm pulling up, Tanner?

Chris

Offline Kim P

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
Hi Kim,

As I am also in the market for a weather station and live in Ottawa, I was curious about your thoughts on your service from forthebirdsnatureshop.  Which station did you purchase?  What sort of turn around time did you get?  And just how close was the price you got from them as opposed to scientificsales?

Cheers!

Chris

The birds were quick to get back to me. in all correspondence and once I made my decision the shipment was made in a couple of days. I have just checked and finally the package is awaiting pickup at my local post office.I went with the 6152VP2  and a 6510USB link cable and software. I guess from the time I pushed the purchase button till it arrived in my little small town post office was about 8-10 days so I cant complain about canada post either.

As for the price well. Considering exchange rate, shipping and credit card charges I think you could pretty much say they matched the price. What they did was added up the quote on everything I got including freight then converted to canadian dollars +2.5% for what the credit card company would of charged on top of the exchange rate (Don't you just love banks) then beat the works by $5.00, but then charged $9.95 to ship it to me so I guess you could say I paid an extra $4.95 for the unit. I guess that all in it was around $650.00 with GST.

Kim

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:38:46 AM »
Good start, good buy, and enjoy =D>

Paul

Offline butor20077

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
As for the price well. Considering exchange rate, shipping and credit card charges I think you could pretty much say they matched the price. What they did was added up the quote on everything I got including freight then converted to canadian dollars +2.5% for what the credit card company would of charged on top of the exchange rate (Don't you just love banks) then beat the works by $5.00, but then charged $9.95 to ship it to me so I guess you could say I paid an extra $4.95 for the unit. I guess that all in it was around $650.00 with GST.

Hi there,

Your situation seems similar to mine.
I'm interested in the Vantage VUE which is 355 $ (+10 $ shipping) on Forthebirdsnatureshop, 339 $ (free shipping) on Binnacle.ca and
270 US $ from Scientific Sales (+ shipping + duty charges ?)

As a minimum, I would assume that they will price match binnacle ?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
I would expect they would price match, give them a call. 

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 05:59:08 PM »
FWIW I have bought a bunch of things from Binnacle.  Good service and great prices.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline butor20077

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 09:33:47 AM »
FWIW I have bought a bunch of things from Binnacle.  Good service and great prices.

It seems like they only carry the 6250 model.....but I would like to have the metric one (6250M).
On the US model, it's not possible to have internaional units ? (Celsius, Pa, etc...)

BTW, since both of you live in Canada....do you need to do anything special when there is a snowstorm ?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
I do nothing for the winter with mine.  Some folks use a heater to melt the snow to get rain equivalent, some cover them for the winter,  I  leave mine and let natural melt record whatever.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
I am like Bushman, just leave it and let it melt whenever.  I do however make a snow fall and snow on the ground estimate each day so I have the snow information and upload it manually to my site http://komokaweather.ca/wxKWsnowindex.php.

I am not sure about the UoM on the Vue as my VP2 came with the metric adaptor, and it does have the English and Metric options in the settings.

Paul

Offline Tall_Guy

• East Uniacke, NS Current Weather
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
I bought the Davis heater but here it is Jan. And it's still sitting in the box...lol. so as of now I am like Paul and Bushman. When we get a mild spell I will have to get my but in gear.

Paul (S)
Davis VantagePro2 weather station, controlled by 'weewx'.
East Uniacke, Hants Co., NS, Canada
http://camera.neutronstar.ca/weewx

Offline 2Bad4u

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »
Hey everyone - first post here. I've just recently started looking into weather stations and now have my eye on the 6163. People here have recommended purchasing from the Birds Nature Shop but their website doesn't have the 6163 listed.

Does anyone know if it's a special order, and if it is, how long it would take to have one delivered?

Would prefer to purchase in Canada if possible.

-- Bill --

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:41 PM »
That would be a good station, ask them.  I thought I had gotten a price from them a while back but can't find it now - and I haven't gone ahead to upgrade yet!

And welcome to the forum.
Paul

Offline 2Bad4u

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 11:31:18 PM »
Thanks for the quick response Paul. I'll give them a call and I'll post their response here for others.

The problem is that I don't need anything until the spring of 2015. We are presently living in Woodbridge ON and are permanently moving to PEI this April. We'll be living in the cottage until around September if there are no delays building our new home.

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out this new (to me) weather hobby out.

-- Bill --

Offline Kim P

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 09:16:54 AM »
In the meantime I'm trying to figure out this new (to me) weather hobby out.

-- Bill --

Well lets see I got the station about 2 months ago now, set it up within a couple days. And finally got around to hooking it up to wunderground.com just last week so I could get the temp. data onto my wife's ipad. And it was only during this process I discovered that it I had it running and only partially functioning for 2 months. So you may want to get the station now as it seems to take some time to learn all the in's and outs.

Yea I would recommend dealing with them again. Overall the entire ordeal was pretty painless. Just give them a call.

Kim

anything