Author Topic: Buying first weather station. Please advice...  (Read 3363 times)

Offline liv

Buying first weather station. Please advice...
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »
Greetings everyone!
Firstly I have to say all the compliments for this forum because I found a lot of useful information here. I decided to buy my first weather station and because of this I ask for help (advice). Conditions that must be fulfilled that is completely cable connected (mostly between thermo-hygro sensor and base station). Also station should be measured temperature (in and out), wind (speed and direction), pressure and humidity (indoor and outdoor) and rainfall, have an illuminated display, preferably supplied software and as many as large display and ability to a computer connection. Budget is up to $ 150 (110 €). My choise for now is La crosse 2350…….Any other suggestions? Many thanks and sorry on my english.....
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:33:12 AM by liv »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Buying first weather station. Please advice...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:42 PM »
Greetings. My older weather station is the LaCrosse WS-2310 which is the predecessor to the WS-2350. Mine has been reliable, bought back in 2005 and still running today. The WS2350 has improvements done to it including replacing the analog style (thermistor/hygro pad) sensors with the newer digital "Swiss Accuracy" sensor chip. The older fan style anemometer was replaced with the cup type also. LaCrosse users have had mixed reports with customer support so that may be a consideration. I can not vouch for the 40-50 meter CAT5 run between the thermo/hygro and the console having never tried it.

Offline liv

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:59:43 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience. Regarding to cable length, Delta5 worked on it and it looks like it would work..... http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=1956.0

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:13:56 AM »
Asking members of the board to advise what they would buy for a personal station is like asking the 300+ million citizens of the U.S. what they think of Obama care, lol. You'd get many many different answers.

I personally have a Rainwise MK-III station and a couple of the Maximum instruments. Davis is good but oh so many choices with their stations.

Don in Ohio

Offline liv

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:08:40 PM »
....still the main issue remains completely cabled weather station

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:40:08 PM »
GO with a 1-Wire wx station.  Fully cabled; awesome specs.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline liv

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
Sorry, really don't know what "1-Wire wx station" is it  #-o. Can you give me please some info or link what is it, and where I can buy it? Thanks....

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »
Sorry, really don't know what "1-Wire wx station" is it  #-o. Can you give me please some info or link what is it, and where I can buy it? Thanks....

http://hobby-boards.com/store/ is probably the best source. AAG in Mexico also sells them. http://www.aagelectronica.com/

I started running one-wire back in 1998. I'm still running some of the sensors.

There is a book on Hobby-Boards called "Weather Toys". It might be worth reading to see if one-wire is the way you want to go.

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

anything