Author Topic: Davis questions  (Read 4587 times)

Offline fubaya

Davis questions
« on: April 21, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
What is the ISS, just a sensor package without the console? Does it require a separate console or logger in order to get data?

I'm wanting to use a Pogoplug running Debian Linux to collect weather data and I don't really need the console, but the ISS plus a logger is more than a Vantage Vue which comes with a console.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Davis questions
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
The ISS or Integrated Sensor Suite is the unit that provides the outdoor measurements...rain, humidity, wind direction, wind speed, and solar and UV if present. It also has the transmitter to send data to the receiving station. There are two ways to receive the data, either with a console or an Envoy. The console has the LCD display and can run about 6+ months on C batteries making it very portable around the house. The Envoy is a receiver only with no LCD display. To get data from the either the console or Envoy into a computer you will need a DataLogger and software. The datalogger is either serial or USB connected and ties the console or Envoy to the computer. To some like me I can't see tying down an expensive console to a computer so I have an Envoy and a Console. The Envoy is tied to the computer and the console moves around the house when I want to keep watch on weather conditions. There is also the WeatherLinkIP which connects the Envoy or console to your home router and directly to the WeatherLinkIP website and a few others. I think what you will need is an ISS, an Envoy, and a DataLogger (there is a less expensive source here on this forum). Yes the whole thing is more expensive than the Vue however the Vue is not expandible like the Vantage Pro2. The basic VPro2 does come with a console like the Vue though. You can go to ProVantage or Archer Trading Post and just buy the components piece by piece. You can buy just the ISS and Envoy by themselves it you want to. If you want great support and low prices you can buy from Ambient Weather. Hope this helps.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 07:08:51 PM »
www.archertradingpost.com/atp    Check them out.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:16:01 PM »
I also recommend Archer Trading. I've never been dissapointed with them. Great prices and really friendly.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline fubaya

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 12:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the explanation and the links. The Archer page for the ISS actually explains that it needs a console or envoy, but I couldn't figure it out from the Davis page to save my life. I assumed the consoles had a USB plug in the back so you could read data straight off of it.

So, an ISS using an envoy and datalogger is expandable?

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:25:21 AM »
By expandable do you mean "can I add more sensors?" if so the answer is yes. Just remember that even with an Envoy you will still need a datalogger.
Btw I can supply the datalogger for £50 including worldwide delivery.

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 04:42:38 AM »
  +1 on belfryboys' data logger.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:21:14 AM by moehoward4 »
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 08:16:18 AM »
fubaya
Davis stations (vp2 and vue) come with an iss and a console.

In basic terms the ISS contains the sensors. The console displays all the values from ISS (and in some cases extra sensors if you have them).
The envoy is a "console" without a display, and must be connect to a weatherlink to be able to get data.

A weatherlink (serial, usb, ip) gets the console/envoy data to the pc/internet. (purcahased as an extra add-on)

Andrew

Thanks for the explanation and the links. The Archer page for the ISS actually explains that it needs a console or envoy, but I couldn't figure it out from the Davis page to save my life. I assumed the consoles had a USB plug in the back so you could read data straight off of it.

So, an ISS using an envoy and datalogger is expandable?

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56:41 AM »
Just to clarify (or maybe muddy :) ) the waters a little more...

There are essentially 4 versions of the Vantage Pro 2: wired and wireless, and with solar and UV sensors (Pro 2 Plus) and without.

The wired version is NOT expandable to extra stations. The wireless version can receive data from a mix of up to 7 extra wireless stations comprised of temperature only, temperature/humidity, and soil moisture/leaf wetness/temperature.

And, while you can add the solar/UV sensors to either Pro station at a later date, it's MUCH cheaper to order the Plus version up front if you think you'll want them.

And check out Rob at rainmanweather.com for pricing, too.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:42 PM »
Archer trading post is the best. Cheap prices and fast delivery. Best of all Ryan wilhour is a nice guy. Tell him Ryan from Hays Kansas sent you.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:12:40 PM »
Tell Ryan Wilhour Ryan from Kansas and Matt from Texas sent you.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.