Author Topic: Wireless side by side  (Read 3079 times)

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
Wireless side by side
« on: February 03, 2012, 09:37:09 AM »
Can a person run two wireless units side by side without interference with each other?
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Wireless side by side
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »
It may depend on the frequencies of the systems. I ran 2 LaCrosse systems successfully together for a while without a problem but one is 400Mhz and the other, 900Mhz. May get interference if both were the same though. I've read posts on here where stations were picking and displaying their neighbors stations.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:11:10 PM by DanS »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:50:43 AM »
Yes is is possable. Before the stations I have now I had about 8-9 smaller stations which were mostly Acu-rite, taylor, and Springfield. They all ran on 433Mhz. I never had a problem. My backyard is like a RF highway yet I never experience any trouble. So yes you should be able to run multipul stations. As a matter of fact, many here on WXforum do with no problem.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »
Great! I run Lacrosse WS2810 and have a chance to pick up a Davis 6152 that is 4 years old in great condition for under 200.00. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on that deal.

Is it normal to want more than one weather station?
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »
Great! I run Lacrosse WS2810 and have a chance to pick up a Davis 6152 that is 4 years old in great condition for under 200.00. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on that deal.

I have three.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »

Well it's nice to have side by side readings. Also if you have the station on Wunderground, CWOP, or PWS Weather it might be a good idea to have a backup if something were to ever go wrong with one. Me I like to compair my VP2 and WMR200 but I have a WS1910U-IT for low height wind speed measurements. It's nice to see how weather varies from one station to another. Also alot of us here on WXforum are also compairing one to another for design accuracy quality and all along we gain knowledge by running several side by side in coming up with something better. That's how the weather station market grows by exchanging ideas for improvement. And some here on WXforum are with the companies that make the stations. I know Acu-rite has one of there guys on here. It's a learning process.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »
Not sure anyone here is "normal"    :lol:
I have two stations.  vp2 and os968

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 01:08:44 PM »
Not sure anyone here is "normal"    :lol:
I have two stations.  vp2 and os968

Andrew

I didn't start out wanting three stations, it just ended up that way.  I had a sensor go bad in the first station (968) and couldn't get a replacement so I bought another type of station (2315).  Then I was able to buy a substitute sensor for the first station.  Then later on I bought a Davis VP2. 

I figured that some folks might be wanting a station and would want to be able to compare them.  So I have all three of them in service and they're all mounted on the same pole, and they're all running the same software, so I think a comparison would be fair and accurate.

When they die, I doubt I'll replace them.  I'll probably just keep the Davis in service.  But, I'll have three in service in the meantime.  They can all be seen on my site.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
I have 5 vp2s three wireless and 2 cabled. I know it sounds nuts but i started out with a cabled unit and decided i wanted a back up. Then i decided iwanted a remote anny transmitter and found you could not use it on a cabled unit so i got a wireless one, then a backup to it and a friend gave me one that was not working and i got it going. I have all three running with the anny transmitter and have had not problems at all.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
I have 5 vp2s three wireless and 2 cabled. I know it sounds nuts but i started out with a cabled unit and decided i wanted a back up. Then i decided iwanted a remote anny transmitter and found you could not use it on a cabled unit so i got a wireless one, then a backup to it and a friend gave me one that was not working and i got it going. I have all three running with the anny transmitter and have had not problems at all.
My dad always had a slogan, "how much is enough? Just a little more" It's not nuts. You have a big peice of land. If I had your land I'd probably need more than one too. Nothing nuts about having more than one. I'm sure if I were to add another anny to my tower my neighbors would draw the line. And probably the HOA. Oh well, 3 is probably my limit.

I am a storm chaser.