Author Topic: Davis 6520 USB Datalogger: Tying in to WU, Missing Features for Mac Version  (Read 1082 times)

Offline NEOgeorge

Received the Vantage Vue for Christmas, yea!

Two things I'd like to do with this system:
1. Tie it in to Weather Underground, since we don't have a PWS in our neighborhood
2. Collect data and use it for tracking heating degree days for managing apple trees in our urban yard

Descriptions of the 6520 indicate that some functions that are provided in the Windows version are missing for the Mac. Can't figure out why that would be - is it a software or hardware limitation?

Thinking about WeatherSnoop s/w; any recommendations or comments?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:36:42 PM by NEOgeorge »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Descriptions of the 6520 indicate that some functions that are provided in the Windows version are missing for the Mac. Can't figure out why that would be - is it a software or hardware limitation?

Purely software - there is no difference between the Windows and Mac logger hardware.

Don't forget that if you do run the Davis Weatherlink software then you get free Basic access to the weatherlink.com platform now, with the option of an annual subscription for several extra features should you wish to do so.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
You could also check out weather display Mac. Version
You will need the silicon labs usb osx driver if a Usb data logger

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
WeatherDisplay is great!!!!! Will push info to most anywhere you want.

And if you are Browns fan-expect a message from Ocala. You can sulk together.

Welcome.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 02:06:54 PM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
You could also check out weather display Mac. Version

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to imply otherwise. I think we're getting to the situation where quick replies just can't hack it any more, at least not to give anything like the complete software picture.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline NEOgeorge

Thank you for the feedback!

From your responses, it looks like Weather Display is favored over WeatherSnoop for the Mac. I plan to buy the 6520 this week and try it with the stock s/w first, then graduate to a more refined product.

Does anyone have experience tracking heating degree days for Integrated Pest Management (tracking degree days allows you to predict many orchard events)? For example:
  • 243 degree days above a 50 degree base after capture of the first male codling moth, spray with Bt
  • At silver tip, track 32 degree base to assess ascopore maturity

Offline NEOgeorge

I've reached out to Brian, author of Weather Display, to answer the questions about Integrated Pest Management. Thanks All!

Offline NEOgeorge

I found this thread regarding available software for the Mac:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=17584.0