Author Topic: memory again (last time though)  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Blackbird

memory again (last time though)
« on: September 11, 2013, 11:26:21 AM »
hello its me again
this will be my third and last post  about this problem and i apologise if i am boring you .
i purchased the fine offset 1081 weather station from marplin's,i got it all up and working,and cos i like to turn my computer off before going to work,i was getting all my data for the day saved to the inbuilt memory on the desktop console,when i came home i would switch my imac back on connect the usb cable and all the data would upload to underground and i would see the results in my wunderground station page. then on saturday last weekend the desk top console would not store the date in the memory,after a few posts and trying different things even a factory reset i still had the same problem so i got the wife to take the desktop console back to maplins who duly replaced the console with a new one from another box,BUT this new console is doing the same thing of not storing the data sent from the transmitter in the garden, so i am thinking perhaps it must be a setting up problem with the console.
SO could someone offer me some advice on how to get the data to store to the in the built in memory please before the whole lot finds it's way into the BIN (Garbage Can). I must say that the console is reciving all the data from the sensor in the garden and it all uploads to wunderground when connected with the USB Cable.
Any help would be appreciated  thank you  (a very very unhappy blackbird) tony :sad: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
Re: memory again (last time though)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:30:59 PM »
I do not have a fine offset station. But everything that I have read says that you must run Easy Weather and have it write an Easyweather data file first and then your other software reads that file.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it works that way.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »
I know this is flip and not what you want to hear but, part of the cost of the weather hobby is a computer running 24/7. Also, and you really don't want to hear this, if you are willing to get a second dedicated computer for the weather, it should be a windows machine. The niche market is just so small that there are slim pickins in the apple field. Not barren, but slim.

JMO

George

Offline Blackbird

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
Thank you beaudog
I use an imac and the console did save data readings to memory  then when connecting via THE USB CABLE saw the data being uploaded to wunderground via weathersnoop with the memory circle emptying as it was uploading!!!!

I have bought an old laptop running windows XP and have installed easyweather software,but don't know how i would go about writing a data file using easyweather software.can you help please

Thank you. Blackbird. Tony =D> =D>

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »
I do not have a fine offset station. But everything that I have read says that you must run Easy Weather and have it write an Easyweather data file first and then your other software reads that file.

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure it works that way.
As best as I have understood in the Windows environment Cumulus usually reads directly from the station/data logger and not from the EW data file.  However I have read that Cumulus can read from an EW .dat file as well http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7047&p=59928&hilit=read+easy+weather+file#p59928

Paul

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 02:35:15 PM »
Tony,

I don't know easyweather but Cumulus is full featured and very well supported. One major bump in the road is that you can only run one weather program at a time. The good side is that Cumulus is "Donationware" so you can run it for a while without the "Trial deadline" hanging over your head.

FWIW

George

Offline Blackbird

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 01:15:16 AM »
just a quick update,  I think i have cracked it now, downloaded cumulus on my old windows laptop running windows XP and is working with wunderround
so problem solved i reakon
May i thank everyone who helped me with my posts (BRILL)

(
A VERY HAPPY Blackbird)  tony =D> =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 01:26:59 AM »
Blackbird quote, " SO could someone offer me some advice on how to get the data to store to the in the built in memory please before the whole lot finds it's way into the BIN (Garbage Can) "

Just a quicky question to help clear things up in my pea brain, do you think that it was the laptop and/or Cumulus re-loads that made the station console start recording data in its built-in memory? I can't see how "externals" to the console effect it's storage function but one never knows.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 01:29:58 AM by DanS »

Offline Blackbird

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 05:59:11 AM »
well  not being used to this i don't really know,but i think that somehow using cumulus is a more better software package and way, than going through weathersnoop,although there will probably,(well almost certainly) be some folk out there who would disagree with me,but if that works for them,then all well and good,all i know is that my station is working now and  saving to memory when i turn it all off to go to work,Just to say that when i i do come back home and turn it all back on i can actually see the data on cumulus being updated on the laptop,so in answer to your question my friend YES i do think it was both laptop and cumulus reloads that did the trick.
I am tempted just to try and use weathersnoop  one more time, but not just at the moment perhaps when i feel a bit more daring but am happy now

thank you to all for your post's

a happy blackbird (tony) =D> :grin: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/