Author Topic: Advice needed (Earthing) an awkwardly positioned home weather system  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Dabbling

• Mason Neck, VA. Weather
So the best placement for my weather station would be on my chimney - but, the chimney is more or less in the center of the house. The house is a brick ranch with wood siding along the eves. The chimney is approx 40' from one end, and 80' from the other. I'm not looking for a ground to protect me from everything - but I'd like a strike - either direct or close by. (and we do get a fair amount of them) to be bled off as much as possible.
1 - What makes the most sense in setting up some sort of "earthing" scenario?
2 - What gauge wire - and could it be insulated to protect any roof (shingle) or wood siding contact?
3 - Is this not feasible and a "side of house" mount the more realistic option?

Thanks for any insight!

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:07:49 PM by Dabbling »
Davis 6152/WeatherLink Serial (Serial to USB)
VWS 14.0/VWSaprs 1.9.8.0
CWOP - DW3803
WU - KVALORTO7

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: Advice needed (Earthing) an awkwardly positioned home weather system
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:20:24 PM »
    Just curious why your chimney is the best mounting option?

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
If you do a forum search, we have at least one thread on lightning protection, but... if your main goal is:

"I'm not looking for a ground to protect me from everything - but I'd like a strike - either direct or close by. (and we do get a fair amount of them) to be bled off as much as possible."

you might be better served by not even considering the weather station as part of the equation... wanting to protect your house really has nothing to do with putting a weather station on your chimney... but at least you are being realistic that the best you might get is bleeding off, rather than "full protection".

Try a web search on structural lightning protection--I've found a lot of good info--none of which would convince me to spend the money... YMMV  ;)
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline Dabbling

• Mason Neck, VA. Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:57:37 PM »
   Just curious why your chimney is the best mounting option?

Heavily treed lot - they crowd the house. The roof area IS the only open area I can figure to work with
Davis 6152/WeatherLink Serial (Serial to USB)
VWS 14.0/VWSaprs 1.9.8.0
CWOP - DW3803
WU - KVALORTO7