Author Topic: WU - Let us know your issues  (Read 185343 times)

Offline etaggart

Re: WU - Let us know your issues
« Reply #1275 on: February 02, 2019, 10:22:38 PM »
Restarted Weewx, but still no love.   I wonder if I should turn off rapidfire?    Sounds like the issue is with the embedded map on the page as my station does show up on wundermap.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMESCARB7

-Ed

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1276 on: February 03, 2019, 02:16:28 AM »
Restarted Weewx, but still no love.   I wonder if I should turn off rapidfire?    Sounds like the issue is with the embedded map on the page as my station does show up on wundermap.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMESCARB7

-Ed

Just a couple weeks ago there was a problem with WU where if you had rapidfire turned on to less than once a minute your station would disappear from the map. Try setting your upload to once a minute or more as a test. Give it a few minutes to register the change. If you reappear on the map then go the other way. Then start gradually reducing the upload time until you disappear again. Report back your finding. This could be that the same issue as before with WU is affecting you for some reason and not others. Perhaps you are on a different server than others and it needs WU attention. This could be affecting a small group of stations and yours is one of them. The problem could very well not be on your end. So do this testing and we'll see if WU sees this discussion and your findings.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline editorizer

« Reply #1277 on: February 03, 2019, 04:41:58 AM »
It's sad. My station has been like this for 2 years and I left it offline for well over a year because I gave up. Recently put it back online and somehow WU fixed it on the WunderMAp but not the small map or the APP maps.

I've been having a problem recently with Wunderground.  Not exactly sure when it started but it's been over a week now.   My station is KMESCARB7 and is reporting data fine to Wunderground.  There are no QA issues reported at CWOP but my station stopped showing up on the Wunderground map.    I tried stopping my weather software from updating Wunderground to see if stopping and letting wunderground report that my station was offline and then start back up reporting again would cause my station to re-appear.  However, even after stopping my reports to Wunderground the status of my station still says that it's reported in the past XX seconds??   Something is seriously wrong with Wunderground.   I've changed my password and confirmed that there are no updates from my station to Wunderground yet the station reported counter keeps updating. 

If I go to about this station and download the current observations it stopped exactly when I turned my weather software off.   Trying to reach anyone at Wunderground through their website is useless.  The form doesn't even work if you choose wunderground as the method that you are getting your weather information.  It just errors out.

Offline etaggart

« Reply #1278 on: February 03, 2019, 02:59:12 PM »
I don't think there is a setting for weewx for the rapid fire interval.  According the the users guide turning on rapidfire - "This will send a post to the WU site with every LOOP packet, which can be as often as every 2.5 seconds in the case of the Vantage instruments."

I've disabled rapidfire yesterday.  Still nothing on the map.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1279 on: February 03, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
I don't think there is a setting for weewx for the rapid fire interval.  According the the users guide turning on rapidfire - "This will send a post to the WU site with every LOOP packet, which can be as often as every 2.5 seconds in the case of the Vantage instruments."

I've disabled rapidfire yesterday.  Still nothing on the map.

Do you have another way to upload to WU as a test? Perhaps different software or maybe you have a WiFi Logger or Meteobridge or WeatherLink adapter. You could also ask a nearby friend with a weather station to upload to your WU ID as a limited test (be sure to first turn your upload off). If the problem persists then the problem is with WU.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:03:09 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1280 on: February 05, 2019, 05:46:25 PM »
We fixed the "rapidfire" bug.  Rapidfire no longer has any impact on the mapping.

Offline etaggart

« Reply #1281 on: February 05, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »
OK, so I don't know if the issue was fixed by the recent change by WU on the local map issue OR, I just ran a wee_device --clear-memory command and restarted weewx.. 

I'm now on the map.   I'm assuming it was my clear memory command as I don't have Rapid-Fire enabled, although I also see the station reported timer seems to be corrected now too..  So who knows...

-Ed
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:49:34 PM by etaggart »

Offline gwminor48

• Contributor
« Reply #1282 on: February 05, 2019, 06:58:34 PM »
Just to get the website back to some semblance of how it used to be.... Each new design is worst than the last... I know that since the latest change, my visits are far fewer.

What features do you miss? What changes do you hate most? We are very interested in making potential changes to help you all see what you really want to see.

At one time I could go to WunderMap and it displayed just my weather station, now it displays all stations. I may be in the minority on this but since you asked...
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display
Wunderground: KTXRICHA35
CWOP: FW4622
AWEKAS: 15385

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #1283 on: February 05, 2019, 10:42:57 PM »
We fixed the "rapidfire" bug.  Rapidfire no longer has any impact on the mapping.

This is now my reality:
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KTXARLIN46&cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline theslydog

« Reply #1284 on: February 05, 2019, 11:36:32 PM »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1285 on: February 06, 2019, 06:36:37 AM »
Seems like WU is back up. No missing data. So it was just a front end issue.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1286 on: February 06, 2019, 06:39:23 AM »
OK, so I don't know if the issue was fixed by the recent change by WU on the local map issue OR, I just ran a wee_device --clear-memory command and restarted weewx.. 

I'm now on the map.   I'm assuming it was my clear memory command as I don't have Rapid-Fire enabled, although I also see the station reported timer seems to be corrected now too..  So who knows...

-Ed

I noticed you just upgraded to WeeWx 3.9.0. Could that have fixed your issue?
Tele-Pole

Offline etaggart

« Reply #1287 on: February 06, 2019, 09:22:17 AM »
No, I did that after the issue was resolved.   I did turn back on rapidfire and while it's still working the update counter which was correct yesterday, seems to be off today.

Current Conditions Station reported -76 second ago

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #1288 on: February 06, 2019, 08:37:24 PM »
All,  apologies for the app login issues. We are working through it now. I believe we have a new build of the IOS app in testing.  Android will likely follow shortly.

Its still not working and it's now February of the next year.  It's been like this for months now!

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #1289 on: February 06, 2019, 08:47:00 PM »
Consider just shutting WU down...it's ruined. Every day there's something wrong.

Problem is, is there any other site that allows you to upload PWS data and view it in the same manner, i.e. record data from all sensors (including things like soil moisture and UV), log all the data long-term, and allow you to review it?  There's nothing much like it that I've been able to find.  Sure, there's a ton of sites where you can upload weather data, but typically it's short-term only, and/or they only allow a limited set of sensors, and/or their display options are pretty limited.  Is there actually a replacement?

Offline noctilucent

« Reply #1290 on: February 06, 2019, 08:52:45 PM »
I'd hardly call IBM amateurs.

I used to work there, ever since they moved from IBM-as-a-reliable-hardware company to IBM-as-a-services-and-consulting company their quality levels have gone down drastically.  But in any case this isn't really IBM, it's WU, and from the sounds of it the problem is massive under-resourcing.  Not sure how you can fix that without annoying users (cut services, defer maintenance, etc, nothing will go down well).

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1291 on: February 06, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
Consider just shutting WU down...it's ruined. Every day there's something wrong.

Problem is, is there any other site that allows you to upload PWS data and view it in the same manner, i.e. record data from all sensors (including things like soil moisture and UV), log all the data long-term, and allow you to review it?  There's nothing much like it that I've been able to find.  Sure, there's a ton of sites where you can upload weather data, but typically it's short-term only, and/or they only allow a limited set of sensors, and/or their display options are pretty limited.  Is there actually a replacement?

The people that denounce WU and to get rid of them either accept the mediocrity of other online services like limited historical data, limited sensor reporting all exactly as you mentioned...or they are individuals that have rolled up their sleeves and launched their own domain and website. A task that is not simple unless you are technically inclined and requires more hardware and software and maintenance and costs.

People should understand that different people have different needs. The simplicity of publishing to WU has merit and so why wouldn't we want it to be the best that it can be. I've yet to see another online service provide rapidfire live data that is updated every few seconds. Other reasons are for example people that depend on WU for smart irrigation controllers like my Hunter Hydrawise that only works on WU data. Sure I could invest in a Rachio and use PWSweather but I've already invested in Hydrawise because I feel the interface and customization is more powerful.

If someone claims that they can get rid of WU because none of this matters and you are okay with something else, well all I have to say is that my neighbor has you all beat, he doesn't own a weather station and say he lives Florida and doesn't need a weather report, he is perfectly happy just looking out the window.

So you are totally right.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 08:57:49 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1292 on: February 06, 2019, 11:40:07 PM »
I did have the capability to set rapid fire through my WU station web page, that ability is now gone. My software only allows 1 minute intervals as the fastest update.

Offline RusstyOfOz

« Reply #1293 on: February 07, 2019, 12:47:57 AM »
Hi, I have been uploading my weather data to WeatherUnderground for about 3 years but in the past 12 months the rainfall data has always been showing wrong.  My data is uploaded to WU but it is collated wrong.  It began early last year showing my rainfall in the summary only up until 19:00 but in the graph and  table it would continue to show the rainfall except that the total would reset to zero at 23:00 instead of midnight.  I reset my weather station but the problem continued.  I checked other weather stations locally and around Australia and all were showing the same type of error.  The problem still exists to this day but the time of the "reset" has moved to 01:00 and the summary stops adding accumulation at around 20:00

I find this quite annoying as it means when I want a printout of my monthly data I have to go through day-by-day to get an accurate rainfall total.

In the attachments it shows that the total for Feb 7 is 8.9mm but looking at the graph you can see that it kept showing data from Feb 6 until 01:00 then reset and only shows today's rainfall from then on.  For Feb 6 the summary shows the rainfall total is 3mm but it rained during the night to total 4.8mm.   

I hope something can be done to fix these errors.

Russty.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1294 on: February 07, 2019, 06:22:59 AM »
RusstyOfOz,
I think the problem is with your Weather Logger. Are you running the latest firmware? Do you have Daylight Saving Time on or Off? Should set to ON. Is your time zone configured correctly in the Weather Logger? It should be +11. If all of this is correct there may be a time zone bug in your Weather Logger. If so then trick your Weather Logger and increasing the Time Zone by +one as a test.

Alternatively you should maybe explore uploading to WU with a different device. Set up a Meteobridge and have it pull the data from your Weather Logger and then have that upload to WU. Or set up WeeWx and have that upload to WU.

Another thing you can try is to turn DST off on your Weather Logger and then just manually change Time Zones but only if needed in April and October when DST occurs for you. This is to compensate for the bug in the Weather Logger that might be there. See the rain reset is done by your software, which is your Weather Logger. WU doesn't control that.

Your Weather Logger is a Fine Offset clone right? What reseller brand is it?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:10:33 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline RusstyOfOz

« Reply #1295 on: February 07, 2019, 07:49:45 AM »
Thank you galfert,
I checked the Weather Logger and found the timezone was set to 10 so I have changed it now to 11.  The DST was set to AUTO so I have now set it to ON and have done the rain reset.  Will see it this helps. But how would my logger error also show the same sort of wrong readings for all other stations that I looked at on WU around Australia and stop showing the accumulation total during the evening??
The brand is Aercus Instruments Weather Sleuth.
Will see what happens when it next rains....(that may take a while!) I will give an update here when I next have some data.
Thanks.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #1296 on: February 07, 2019, 08:23:42 AM »
RustyOfOz,
Sounds good. Looks like you found the culprit if you were set incorrectly to +10 instead of +11. You don't have to wait for the next rain. Just clean out your rain gauge (which you should do regularly anyway) and tip the gauge manually one time and then wait to see that it resets correctly at midnight.

Keep an eye out for changes on April 7th when your DST changes. Set a calendar reminder. If things mess up after that date then you may want to set the DST to OFF and do the manual Time Zone change thing I mentioned twice a year.

I feel all the other stations around you are wrong because people don't have their stations set up correctly. I have an ObserverIP which is similar to your Aercus but my firmware from Ambient is different. For DST I don't have an AUTO option...I only have ON and OFF. So I'm not sure what AUTO does. I wonder if AUTO was also affecting your Time Zone setting and incorrectly making it +10.

As for the accumulation total in the Summary resetting in the evening that could be a problem with how your WU station ID was configured. When you go to edit your Station in WU what Time Zone does it display up top? I don't think there is a way to change this. If it is wrong I think you will have to create a new station. Unless you can write to WU and ask to see if they can fix it for you to be the correct time zone. See my configuration for where to look. I really don't see a way to change this. Don't delete you existing WU ID, but do create a new Station ID with WU and then configure your Weather Logger to send there as a test, given if you get it to show a proper time zone. I think it should say Time Zone:   Australia/Hobart. But maybe even if it shows that the problem is with WU. This would affect the daily summary.

Bottom line is that you are experiencing two different issues. The rain reset is something that I think is within your control to fix with your Weather Logger. The daily summary is the other issue and that has to do with WU and their Time Zone for your location on the map. I don't think you can change that. That gets automatically assigned when you create your station based on your Red Marker Dot location that you set.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:41:20 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #1297 on: February 07, 2019, 08:38:49 AM »
Wunderground PWS,

Here is an Acurite Atlas that is not showing on the map. I saw it online a few months ago, and I wondered where it went... It's still live, but not showing up.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KNCJACKS58

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
« Reply #1298 on: February 07, 2019, 10:54:18 AM »
This generally happens when WU considers that the data is inaccurate. A reboot of the software will usually bring it up within an hour or within a few days if left alone. Note that it does NOT state "station not reporting" when this happens.

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: February 07, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
The time on your weather station is most likely set incorrectly. This would cause your station to reset its precipitation counter at the wrong time. Make sure it is correct and in the time zone is correct.

We used to try to correct for this clock skew, this led to some nasty side effects, and incorrect rainfall totals, so we had to stop doing that.

The good news, is this is easily corrected by making sure your weather station has the correct time settings, 

Hi, I have been uploading my weather data to WeatherUnderground for about 3 years but in the past 12 months the rainfall data has always been showing wrong.  My data is uploaded to WU but it is collated wrong.  It began early last year showing my rainfall in the summary only up until 19:00 but in the graph and  table it would continue to show the rainfall except that the total would reset to zero at 23:00 instead of midnight.  I reset my weather station but the problem continued.  I checked other weather stations locally and around Australia and all were showing the same type of error.  The problem still exists to this day but the time of the "reset" has moved to 01:00 and the summary stops adding accumulation at around 20:00

I find this quite annoying as it means when I want a printout of my monthly data I have to go through day-by-day to get an accurate rainfall total.

In the attachments it shows that the total for Feb 7 is 8.9mm but looking at the graph you can see that it kept showing data from Feb 6 until 01:00 then reset and only shows today's rainfall from then on.  For Feb 6 the summary shows the rainfall total is 3mm but it rained during the night to total 4.8mm.   

I hope something can be done to fix these errors.

Russty.

anything