Author Topic: Goldstar Stations  (Read 55320 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Goldstar Stations
« Reply #125 on: August 27, 2016, 07:56:47 PM »
King Louie, the monkey, likes your station ;)

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #126 on: August 27, 2016, 08:04:36 PM »
Mine have 5 stars!  :shock: cool
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #127 on: August 27, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »
Last summer WU was sending me messages about my temps being too high. This summer I have the gold star. 24 hour fan aspiration added late last year makes a difference. :P

Don't put too much weight in passing WUs comparables or getting the gold star. As the above poster noted, he got a gold star and his data has only been on WU about a day! That being said, the 24 hour FARS is a good addition to any PWS!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Coop

« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2016, 11:49:21 PM »
WU Gold Star means absolutely NOTHING, NADA ZIP!! I live in a remote rural area at 5000 ft.  There were only two stations reporting to WU. Several nights ago, I saw a new station located between us pop onto the scene. It wasn't there 2 hours previous. Brand new and sporting the coveted WU Quality rating.  This new guy was reporting wind 180 degrees out of whack, His barometer was not adjusted for sea level and both myself and the other long time station were reporting 62F and the newcomer was reporting 79. All three of us are GOLD STAR stations!! 5 days monitoring of data?  WU - Give me a break!
GOLD STAR is really akin to showing up for practice every day and warming the bench all season. "Good Boy. Thanks for showing up. Here's a medal." :roll:
Davis VP2+ w/daylight FARS (Cabled model)
Weatherlink v. 5.7.1

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2016, 10:08:01 AM »
WU Gold Star means absolutely NOTHING, NADA ZIP!! I live in a remote rural area at 5000 ft.  There were only two stations reporting to WU. Several nights ago, I saw a new station located between us pop onto the scene. It wasn't there 2 hours previous. Brand new and sporting the coveted WU Quality rating.  This new guy was reporting wind 180 degrees out of whack, His barometer was not adjusted for sea level and both myself and the other long time station were reporting 62F and the newcomer was reporting 79. All three of us are GOLD STAR stations!! 5 days monitoring of data?  WU - Give me a break!
GOLD STAR is really akin to showing up for practice every day and warming the bench all season. "Good Boy. Thanks for showing up. Here's a medal." :roll:

In short, you believe the Goldstar is not the coveted award achieved by only 1% of PWS owners? You are 100% correct and wish the folks at WU would make this award meaningful and at the least, if 5 days of reporting are required (sounds reasonable) then ensure the station actually has 5 days of data! Oh well,WU tries and provides a useful purpose but the Goldstar award is goofy as WU currently uses it!
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »
Weird, Unlogical

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2016, 01:46:07 PM »
I asked William at WU
Hi,
I have noticed that my IONTARIO226 station is a GoldStar Station, and thank you for that. About Goldstar Stations: This is a high-quality weather station that has passed our quality control process for 5 consecutive days.
Can you explain the criteria of the quality control process and what a station must meet to be a Goldstar.
My IONTARIO1189 (BloomSky) is NOT a Goldstar Station and what differentiates it from the IONTARIO226?
Thanks for your time,
Paul
and the reply is:
The Bloomsky isn't reporting enough weather metrics to be a gold star station (i.e. no wind direction or speed, no precip)

I am happy!
Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »
Aha I see, so a station that would report highly accurately temperature and humidity is in WU´s view poor quality compared to a badly sited cheap station that inaccurately reports not only temperature and humidity, but also wind speed and precipitation :D

Bravo

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2016, 04:05:51 PM »
But many Bloomsky stations had Goldstar status. Not sure if any of them do now.

EDIT: Nevermind, lookie at this https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KFLNORTH90
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:07:41 PM by hankster »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2016, 10:28:43 PM »
Interesting note on the Acurite forum.

Some guy is claiming the migration to myAcurite has cost him his "gold medal" rating on wunderground that he's had for "years".   :roll:

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2016, 10:30:04 PM »
Interesting note on the Acurite forum.

Some guy is claiming the migration to myAcurite has cost him his "gold medal" rating on wunderground that he's had for "years".   :roll:

I will sell him my mine for $1,000US. Sorry, after further review, mine is gone too.

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=41.880%2C-88.086&sp=KILWHEAT17

It is back! Price is now $2,000 US!

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KILWHEAT17

« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:35:51 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2016, 08:16:39 PM »
My Oregon Scientific has a gold star, but not the acurite. The thermometer and hygrometer are too high on the acurite.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
My Oregon Scientific has a gold star, but not the acurite. The thermometer and hygrometer are too high on the acurite.

I guess you haven't been reading this thread very closely. 

The gold stars are essentially meaningless.

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2016, 09:44:50 PM »

I have three offers at $2,000 for my station's gold star, so not completely meaningless! AND, operators are standing by for people wishing to increase the offer!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 11:04:16 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2016, 05:05:22 AM »
Yes, the gold star surely increases the value of the kit several fold ;)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »

Yes I have, but I thought some might actually be valid, however, they have now also given my acurite a gold star. It doesn't seem to make any logical sense to me at this point.

I think we all need to start jerking our stations offline.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
They could also introduce silver star and bronze star, to make it all more interesting :D  ](*,)

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »
The Golden Stars, Oh! Those Golden Stars! They tell me that I have a high quality station. That has a lot of meaning for me. Last summer I got warnings that my temperatures were too high. I added 24 hour FARS and now I have a wonderful Golden Star! It cured my depression. Now I can sleep so much better, not feeling compelled to get up every hour to compare my readings with other local stations.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline WxFox

« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2016, 12:03:11 PM »
The Golden Stars, Oh! Those Golden Stars! They tell me that I have a high quality station. That has a lot of meaning for me. Last summer I got warnings that my temperatures were too high. I added 24 hour FARS and now I have a wonderful Golden Star! It cured my depression. Now I can sleep so much better, not feeling compelled to get up every hour to compare my readings with other local stations.
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

CWOP AV346

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2016, 12:04:06 PM »

Yes I have, but I thought some might actually be valid, however, they have now also given my acurite a gold star. It doesn't seem to make any logical sense to me at this point.

I think we all need to start jerking our stations offline.

And by taking our stations off line accomplishes what? I think we should live with the idiosyncrasies of WU and move on. They serve a purpose and help the greater good, I think.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 12:17:38 PM by WheatonRon »

Offline WxFox

« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2016, 12:04:47 PM »
They could also introduce silver star and bronze star, to make it all more interesting :D  ](*,)
Just like in the Olympics! We are athletes now, weather athletes!

CWOP AV346

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2016, 12:58:34 PM »
Yeah, I wonder if for example 24h FARS would count as doping :D

Online WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »
Yeah, I wonder if for example 24h FARS would count as doping :D

That is why I opted for just the daytime fan so my PWS wouldn't be hit for doping!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2016, 01:08:56 PM »
Based on my station configuration, siting and accuracy I guess I should rather qualify for the paralympics :D

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »
Acurite just released their MacOS version of "PC Connect" for testing.

I've set it up with a new station ID for testing from a 5n1 that already has the coveted "gold star".  (Same weather station hardware, just reporting through a Mac instead of through the SmartHUB)

It will be interesting to see if or when it's awarded.  ;)

anything