Author Topic: Goldstar Stations  (Read 55300 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Goldstar Stations
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2016, 04:43:49 PM »
Yes, during the monsoon here, this is a very common occurrence. I've dropped ~ 25F in about 12 minutes before (more than once) from the evaporative cooling, quite a dramatic change. :shock:

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2016, 05:01:47 PM »
I too have a Gold Star on my WU PWS!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:03:27 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2016, 05:55:30 PM »
LOL, my highly inaccurate, poorly sited station, which btw. is currently showing 7 degrees more than the nearby airport (it is sunny...) is a permanent star :D

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IJIHOMOR28

Jachym, your sending data to MADIS with that broken station???   :shock:

No wonder they think there's Global Warming.....  :roll:

No Im not Tom and there is global warming ;)

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2016, 07:35:32 PM »
LOL, my highly inaccurate, poorly sited station, which btw. is currently showing 7 degrees more than the nearby airport (it is sunny...) is a permanent star :D

We'll the station listed in the link is Madis E5672 and is reporting live data......  I thought this was your station since it links to Meteotemplate.

http://www.wxqa.com/sss/search1.cgi?keyword=E5672
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
Interesting because some time ago I got an email that my station was disabled

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2016, 08:01:06 PM »
Interesting because some time ago I got an email that my station was disabled

Your station data is being captured but on further checking I don't see it as part of the QC, so your right they must have dropped you from analysis.  ;)

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2016, 08:07:37 PM »
Yes..
but who cares, Im a gold star ;)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2016, 11:05:06 PM »
Yes..
but who cares, Im a gold star ;)

UU

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2016, 11:17:23 PM »

Global warming is a political hoax. Another way the government can collect and spend our money.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »

Global warming is a political hoax. Another way the government can collect and spend our money.

You might find this interesting:
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/climate-change/global-warming-signal-can-be-traced-back-to-the-1830s-climate-scientists-say-20160823-gqz260.html

Nature article here: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v536/n7617/full/nature19082.html

If it goes back to before the industrial revolution, is it really "our fault"?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2016, 05:17:31 AM »
Yes

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2016, 06:11:07 AM »
Yes

If only 1 billion people with 1830s tech started tipping the scales, we are done for.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2016, 09:18:53 AM »
What Im always also very surprised by is that for example, many of you say that scientists are wrong, measurements are inaccurate etc etc. However, you also argue by saying that global warming does not exist because there were situations like this in the past, that the Earth is not getting warmer based on some past measurements etc etc. But don´t you think it is absurd? You are basically saying that the measurements that prove GW are inaccurate and that it cannot be said what was in the past, yet those same people argue against GW by saying that this has happened in the past that the overall amount of ice does not change, that the global averages are just a deviation, that the levels of CO2 were this high in the past too.... and now let me ask you... how do you know that... isnt that also measured? Sometimes even using the exact same techniques and methods?

OK, let me just say one thing I have never mentined before, it is just my opinion and you might believe it or not.

As some of you know, I studied molecular biology and genetics, and at the uni I also specialized in neurosciences, basically the study of the human brain. I read many books about psychology too and before I got so excited about weather I for example read books about how the human mind works and reacts to commercials, how the human mind can be tricked, phenomena such as phanotm limb etc etc.

You might be thinking how is all this related to global warming... well IMHO it is. What I see here, is a great example of something called negative subjective argumentation. To explain what I mean. Just imagine that global warming is real and that we as humans make it substantially worse and that it will have serious consequences, maybe not so serious in the near future, maybe not even during your lifetime, but in a more distant future yes. This is what I personally believe, but let´s just say I give you many arguments for this theory. On one hand, you feel that it is correct, something inside you tells you that doing what we are is not right, that something should be done, that one should sacrifice things even though they might not see the beneficial effects of this immediately, if ever (by ever I mean they will not manifest during our lifetime, but they will in the future). However, you also have many reasons why you do not want to do this, despite the fact that it is true. You feel it would be right to do it, but you don´t want to sacrifice things, you don´t want to limit yourself, you don´t want the government to spend money on this - because that is something you will benefit from, in the immediate terms and short-term too.

And here comes the "brain part". Negative subjective argumentation is in simple words like an inner voice, that on one hand tells you something is incorrect, but you subconscioussly persuade yourself that it is actually ok to do it and you find reasons for why it is so, sometimes even very irrational. The final outcome is that you do things you would otherwise consider unwise and short-sighted and you would probably not like others doing unless you do it as well. If however you are confronted with someone saying you should not be doing it, that it is wrong, you tell them the reasons why it is ok.

Here in the Czech Republic, the majority of people believe in global warming, and they do believe that it is caused by humans. However, many refuse to accept some of the proposed changes that will lead to cutting emissions etc. Why? In the case of my country, based on what I see, it is mostly like this - people feel it is wrong not to accept it (just like I explained above), but in this case the reason they find for themselves to do it is that we are such a small country that it won´t make any difference if our government accepts something or not.

This would basically also explain the opinion of many of you in the U.S. Obivously this reason would not be applicable - you are one of the largest countries in the world, and contributing to the global released emissions etc. very substantially. So you find different reasons for yourself why it can´t be so and why it is ok to do what you want to do that you will benefit from in short-term - i.e. the governments lie to us, the numbers are inaccurate etc etc. The U.S. has always been very economically driven and so the primary goal was often making profit, doing something altruistically for future generations might be difficult, though on the other hand you do feel it should be done.

You are probably going to deny this, not accept what I just wrote and basically do it for the very exact reason I gave. Maybe you will feel I am correct, but higher parts of the human brain (which btw. is amazing sophisticated "machine"... Ive seen it :D) will subconscioussly find reasons why it cannot be so.

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2016, 12:07:49 PM »
My logic.

The earth has been around for millions and millions of years and goes through constant change.

The climate on Earth has been cooling and heating for millions of years.

Today the species of humans live on the surface of the Earth.

The leaders  :^o blame the humans for climate change.   [-X

:-({|=  I just don't buy it.......   
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #114 on: August 27, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
Well thats what the numbers show Tom and if you don´t buy it, thats fine, but in such case you are saying you don´t trust the measurements, the methods used to calcualte it etc. (which are of course indirect, we don´t know what was thousands/million years ago). But in such case let me ask you this - how do you know the temps were going up and down? Isnt that also based on the exact same methods that were used to come to the conclusion GW is happening? Saying that situations like this, in terms of temps and CO2 levels, were already encountered in the past means you do believe these indirect methods, eg. the data from ice cores etc., in which case you are contradicting yourself because those same methods and data are used to support global warming...

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #115 on: August 27, 2016, 12:24:25 PM »
Jachym,

You don't need any measurements to conclude the earth has gone through major changes over millions of years. 

You also don't mention the SUN, its orbit, the Solar System or that the planet its moving through space.   Maybe that has an effect on Earths climate, Hmmmm...

You're a flee on an Elephant and conclude the elephant is hotter because of the flee's...  If you follow my logic I do not believe you can prove with only climate measurements that the earth is warming due to human activities.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2016, 02:51:38 PM »
In that same vain...

If you follow Jáchym's logic can you prove with only climate measurements that the earth warming is not due to human activities.  :grin:

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2016, 03:06:11 PM »
Wow, this is fun. Maybe i'll jump into the fray....

Problem is that too many people on either side believe much of this is politically motivated. Statements to the affect that data has been manipulated in some respect causes doubts. Also, our data only goes back to a very short span of time in relation to earth's history....Have temperatures risen since the industrial revolution begun.. Yes, but if you go back before that, massive heat waves and droughts occurred LONG before oil, coal, or gas was used... The real issue is how much has human activities played into the increase of so-called warming gases. To what affect?  Way to many questions and parameters to simply say, "Yes, it's humans fault".
Unless each person were educated in physics, math , and earth sciences and have a PhD in such courses and spent their entire lives doing un-biased, raw research, then all we have is the voices of others who may or may not be giving us the full story for various reasons....

Have a super day all!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »
In that same vain...

If you follow Jáchym's logic can you prove with only climate measurements that the earth warming is not due to human activities.  :grin:

+1

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2016, 03:44:39 PM »
One more thing,

even if you say that the Earth has gone through many much colder and warmer periods when talking in long-term perspective.... yes maybe, yes maybe there will be another very cold period no matter what we do now (there will be, it is the ice age...), however, we are obviously interested in what is in the next 50, 100 yrs, it is nice that no matter how much CO2 we now produce, the Earth will get colder, but if that is to happen in several thousand of yrs then it is not much use for the next generations, or even for us, if we have severe problems in the upcoming decades

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2016, 05:45:38 PM »
My logic.

The earth has been around for millions and millions of years and goes through constant change.

The climate on Earth has been cooling and heating for millions of years.

Today the species of humans live on the surface of the Earth.

The leaders  :^o blame the humans for climate change.   [-X

:-({|=  I just don't buy it.......

Well put!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #121 on: August 27, 2016, 05:54:08 PM »
Back to the topic of this thread

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #122 on: August 27, 2016, 06:06:37 PM »
Thanks for reminding us of the topic.

Offline WxFox

• Northern Androscoggin Weather
  • Happiness is having my toes in the warm sand.
    • Northern Androscoggin County Weather
« Reply #123 on: August 27, 2016, 06:53:04 PM »
Last summer WU was sending me messages about my temps being too high. This summer I have the gold star. 24 hour fan aspiration added late last year makes a difference. :P
Davis VP2 (cabled) Uploading to PWS, Weather Underground, Weathercloud, WOW, WeatherBug, AWEKAS and Twitter, using Cumulus.  Cabled = fewer problems, less maintenance and better reliability!

Northern Androscoggin Weather:
http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011/index.php
Mobile friendly: http://home.myfairpoint.net/~jody2011//iCumulus/#_home
CWOP AV346

Offline kds

« Reply #124 on: August 27, 2016, 07:50:39 PM »
I came here to say that I started sending data to WU this week, and less than 12 hours of sending data I had a gold star. Somehow, miraculously, they were able to review 5 consecutive days worth of data I haven't been sending to them :shock:

anything