Author Topic: Davis Solar Radiation Sensor  (Read 778 times)

Offline stromb0li

Davis Solar Radiation Sensor
« on: June 24, 2018, 08:32:23 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures or a quick video that details what the solar radiation sensor looks like fully installed?  I suppose a picture or video of the UV Sensor would work as well, but I'm having a heck of a time trying to install this sensor.

I'm having issues trying to "center" the white part of the Senosr inside the shield.  Not only is the white part of the sensor off on a x/y axis inside the circle of the shield, but the "white part" of the sensor is no where near level (it's slightly tilted).

The instructions make it sound like getting this setup is a cakewalk, but I've found this to be incredibly tedious.  Maybe I'm missing something?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 08:57:09 PM by stromb0li »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Davis Solar Radiation Sensor
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 04:47:13 AM »
I just did this couple months ago, don't remember alignment issues other than sensor and cover could only be aligned one way for properly seating in holder. Try rotating/reversing if alignment is issue.

Instructions said to install mounting brace first but that would make sensor near impossible to install outside at station.

Best to have mounting brace off and use a kitchen table, so not to lose a spring or washer. I used little strips of scotch tape for holding washers and springs in place until I could get all started. Still took about 20 minutes from trial and error.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:22:04 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 05:07:42 PM »
Well, here's a video that shows maintenance of a VP2 with the standard solar sensor installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UjG9LNec-I

Or google the following for lots of pictures:

davis solar radiation sensor mounting  images

Offline stromb0li

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 05:45:46 PM »

Instructions said to install mounting brace first but that would make sensor near impossible to install outside at station.

Best to have mounting brace off and use a kitchen table, so not to lose a spring or washer. I used little strips of scotch tape for holding washers and springs in place until I could get all started. Still took about 20 minutes from trial and error.

This makes me feel a lot better--I was thinking the same thing, there's no way you could do this outside as you'd lose the springs/washers to grass/dirt.

I just set it up as-is outside, don't think there is much more I can do since Davis doesn't etch out the holes the sensor sits in.  Ideally, they should make it so the sensor is seated inside the hole and maybe has a ridge to prevent it from falling through; that would make installation very easy and would allow the shield to sit flush to the bracket to prevent debris from building up underneath the springs.

On a totally side topic, is there anyway to erase/adjust the history of the console?  When installing this, I removed the rain cone and the tipping bucket moved a few times in the wind.  Would be nice to 0 out, or set the the ISS in maintenance mode, so I don't have incorrect data.

Thank you!

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
Hmmm, I ended up having buyer's remorse when I bought my VP2 (not the VP2+).  So, I ended up adding the solar and uv sensors "outside".  I didn't lose the washers and springs....but I was very careful.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com