Author Topic: Looking for a weather Camera  (Read 2260 times)

Offline oleweatherfan

• Forecaster
    • bsudweather
Looking for a weather Camera
« on: September 15, 2018, 07:34:41 PM »
Looking for a camera for weather to go with my davis station. I've had some in past, but they never worked right, they were IP and everytime my IP address changed my camera went off. If I get another one it needs to be wireless though because I'm putting it on the pole with my station. Any ideas on what I should get?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KSCLIBER3&freq=3.0&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KSCLIBER3&freq=3.0&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Looking for a weather Camera
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 07:41:24 AM »
So that the IP address doesn't change on you the best thing to do is to set an IP reservation on your router's DHCP service using the MAC address of the camera. This is the best solution because you avoid the possibility of an IP conflict. Because the other solution is to set a static IP on the camera itself, but then unless you also go into the router and change the DHCP scope to not include the static address you selected then you could end up with a an IP conflict. This is because the DHCP service needs to know of static addresses on the network or else it doesn't know that they are used and it might give the address out to something else on the network and then you end up with an IP conflict and that causes devices to fall off the network.

Setting a static address is often the recommended action, but that is only half of a solution (because of the need to tell the router to reduce the DHCP scope to mitigate conflict). Since the proper way to set a static is to reduce the router"s DHCP scope, you might as well forget setting a static in the device and just set a reservation instead on the router (the first solution). Then you only need to change settings on the router. When you set a reservation it tells the router's DHCP service to always give a certain IP address to that device only always. The device (camera in this case) has no idea it is getting a reserved IP address, it is just asking for an address every time it powers on, but it will always then be getting the same address.

If you think you need a wireless camera because it will be mounted on a pole ask yourself how will this camera be powered? Since the simplest solution to the power problem is to run a power line of sorts then it might as well be an Ethernet cable that has Power over Ethernet (PoE). Thereby negating the need for it to be a wireless camera. Wireless cameras work well indoors where power outlets are available and then you don't need to run an Ethernet cable. Unless of course you have power outdoor nearby like for ground landscape lighting.

My favorite wired PoE camera is Hikvision bullet with 4mm lens. I don't have experience with wireless cameras. So maybe someone else can recommend one of those.
Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I
https://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2042WD-I-Network-Security-Bullet/dp/B01M1EMS52/

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:08:04 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:20:26 AM »
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:06:25 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »
Some routers scan the local network for devices that have been given static addresses and then the router is smart enough to not assign those addresses to another device. But not all routers do this. So it is not good advice to tell people to just set a static address. Regardless from a professional networking standard practices just setting a static address without mitigating by setting a reservation or reducing the scope is not proper procedure.
Tele-Pole

Offline oleweatherfan

• Forecaster
    • bsudweather
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »
My router is supplied by my cable network. I do have my own linksy router but not sure how I would use that along with the cable router. As for power to the pole, theres power at the pole.

<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KSCLIBER3&freq=3.0&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KSCLIBER3&freq=3.0&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
Ol... call it a reservation...whatever. that terminology and procedure may also vary from router to router... my current router calls it a 'reservation'... a previous router called it 'static'... I won't get into professional standard procedures, or semantics discussions. We're not all IP. IT, whatever, 'professionals'... and I can only offer my experience.
The point is that the camera or other WAN accessible device's LAN address would remain static. Port forwarding is necessary to connect to device from WAN. projecting that LAN "non-dynamic' or whatever camera outside the network... as I understand it, and has worked for me for 12 years on 3 different routers...on a LAN with 19 devices.....  DNS wasn't mentioned, but some service should be used to mitigate provider changing the local network Moderm address.
I know Some colleagues using proprietary router/modem combos supplied by certain providers don't like to do port forwarding... and that's been a PITA for them, at least initially.
...but it seems to me that anyone who would go to the trouble to put up advanced PWS information would obtain at least a router that would provide a permanent location for the devices sending data...

The original poster asked about types of cameras... Mine are three Logitech C910's or C920's. USB amd three Hikvision 2CD2032POE.... been down the 'wireless' road... Wired is better, for me.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »
Since the simplest solution to the power problem is to run a power line of sorts then it might as well be an Ethernet cable that has Power over Ethernet (PoE).

Running an Ethernet cable from inside the house to the outside might not always be feasible depending on where your main Ethernet distribution point is even if you use power injectors. Most houses in the US have outlets on the outside, in a shed or nearby outbuilding so running power only might be easier.

The OP will know which option will be the best in his environment.

Some routers scan the local network for devices that have been given static addresses and then the router is smart enough to not assign those addresses to another device.
Doing a MAC reservation is the best way to go, but unless you documented all your reservation and your router fails you will be in a world of trouble.
It is the device requesting the assigned IP from the Router. IF the IP address is not in use, the router will assign that IP to the device. Most ISP routers do have a dynamic block of IP addresses usually starting at 100 - 150.
For home use, set your lease time to a couple of days.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline oleweatherfan

• Forecaster
    • bsudweather
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »
The thing is if I went wired I would have a lot of wire to run, from where I would have to put my camera. Probably around 75ft from my router

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 09:55:11 AM »
75ft is not a lot of distance for Ethernet. You can go 328 feet with Ethernet (100 meters). Most PoE injectors or PoE switches can go this distance too (sometimes even further just for power).

I recommend never using the ISP given device as a router. Ask the ISP to put their modem-router combo device into bridge mode. This makes it become just a modem and it turns off all router functions. Then connect your own WiFi router to the modem. You will then benefit from better WiFi and better networking configuration options. With some ISP companies this may also save you $5 to $10 monthly.

The action of setting a static address on a network for a device is the action of entering a static address on the device itself. It is not something you do on the router regardless what some consumer device decides to call a reservation, which is a different thing.

The action of setting up a static reservation is something that is done in the router's DHCP service settings (the network's DHCP service could also be a managed switch or a server like a domain controller or a NAS device, point being the router doesn't have to be the DHCP server service for the network).

You don't set a static address for a device on a router's DHCP service, that is a static reservation. So when telling someone to fix their problem by setting up a static address (and not explain it) and what you really meant to say was setting up a static reservation is bound to confuse a novice because that may be wrongly interpreted to just setting up a static on the device and then they could end up with a conflict.

A properly managed network should be documented. Also a network configuration backup file of the router is a good thing to have done every time you change a setting or do a firmware update.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:18:50 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 10:27:06 AM »
Siemens are Mhos ... I do apologize for using Static' instead of 'reserved'...  Valves are tubes.. CAT6 means kitty's existence is 2/3 exhausted. and a jack is a male donkey, and I qualify I suppose.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 10:38:39 AM »
Most ISP routers do have a dynamic block of IP addresses usually starting at 100 - 150.
For home use, set your lease time to a couple of days.

I've seen many ISP routers and consumer routers DHCP service assigning the entire subnet as the DHCP scope 2 - 254. In this case setting a device to a static address (without a reservation) is just asking for a conflict.

Lease time should never be used to manage IP address retention. Lease time should be used to recycle unused addresses for transient (or seldom powered on) network devices, to conserve subnet address use thereby preventing exhaustion of scope.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 10:49:14 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »

I know Some colleagues using proprietary router/modem combos supplied by certain providers don't like to do port forwarding... and that's been a PITA for them, at least initially.
...but it seems to me that anyone who would go to the trouble to put up advanced PWS information would obtain at least a router that would provide a permanent location for the devices sending data...

Which is why I recommend using your own router and putting the ISP device in bridge mode. This easily solves many problems. If you just add your own router and the ISP device is still acting as a router (not in bridge mode) then you end up with an even more complicated situation called Double NAT. You have then two routers both doing Network Address Translation and opening ports just became impossible for the novice that doesn't understand the problem they just created.

For anyone that has had their ISP device put into bridge mode this is something that you should check regularly. Because sometimes the ISP reverts the device back to being a router. This sometimes happens when a firmware update gets rolled out by the ISP or sometimes other changes on their network can cause this. Or if you change modems the new modem is going to be in router configuration. One thing you can do is request a modem only device that can never act as a router, thus it is always in bridge modem. But sometimes that isn't an option. Another thing you can do is buy your own modem.

To check if your modem is in bridge modem or router mode you can log into your router and see what address is assigned to the WAN (Internet) port. If the WAN address is a private range address (192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x) then your modem is acting as a router and you need to request it changed back to bridge mode. Another way to check is to go to a web site that shows you the ISP public IP address you were given for Internet access. Like whatismyip.com. Then compare that address to see if it shows up in your routers configuration information page. If it doesn't and shows a different address for WAN then you are doing Double NAT likely.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:24:36 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline oleweatherfan

• Forecaster
    • bsudweather
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »
Heck I'm about to think the best route to go is with going with Bloomsky it has it's own Camera. Anyone used or know anything about it?

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 11:25:12 AM »
Lease time should be used to recycle unused addresses for transient (or seldom powered on) network devices, to conserve subnet address use thereby preventing exhaustion of scope.

How many devices do you have on your HOME network? If /24 is not enough you can always go to /22.

just became impossible for the novice that doesn't understand the problem they just created.
That is why these guys stay with the plug and play ISP router and there is nothing wrong with that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:29:12 AM by dupreezd »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
Lease time should be used to recycle unused addresses for transient (or seldom powered on) network devices, to conserve subnet address use thereby preventing exhaustion of scope.

How many devices do you have on your HOME network? If /24 is not enough you can always go to /22.

I have 36 devices. That is not the point. You are the one that brought up increasing the lease time. That has no relevance for the subject matter being discussed. The clarification was to inform of the only real purpose for lease time management. I know you added the "for home use" argument, but that is still not right. Just because it works does not mean it is the proper way to do something. Because there are arguments why it isn't the right thing to do. If there wasn't a solution to the problem I understand coming up with improper nonstandard ways to fix the problem. But in this case we have proper solutions and methods to do things right.

just became impossible for the novice that doesn't understand the problem they just created.
That is why these guys stay with the plug and play ISP router and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sure there is something wrong....they run into limitations on port forwarding. Which is why I gave my recommendation.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:19:23 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2018, 07:48:47 AM »
Siemens are Mhos ... I do apologize for using Static' instead of 'reserved'...  Valves are tubes.. CAT6 means kitty's existence is 2/3 exhausted. and a jack is a male donkey, and I qualify I suppose.
:grin:

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »
Heck I'm about to think the best route to go is with going with Bloomsky it has it's own Camera. Anyone used or know anything about it?

I've been thinking about getting the Bloomsky station. I already have a proper weather station, so the Bloomsky would mainly be for the camera feature (the UV feature sounds interesting too). I like that it is its own mount and mobile app.
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline oleweatherfan

• Forecaster
    • bsudweather
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 05:39:44 PM »

I've been thinking about getting the Bloomsky station. I already have a proper weather station, so the Bloomsky would mainly be for the camera feature (the UV feature sounds interesting too). I like that it is its own mount and mobile app.
Yeah I agree I mean I have a Davis VP2 pro, but I would use the bloomsky for the camera. I wouldn't be buying the storm that goes with it because I already have all that with my davis. But that camera sounds pretty cool