Author Topic: Just enough knowledge to be dangerous  (Read 1856 times)

Offline quaffin1

• Semper Fi
Just enough knowledge to be dangerous
« on: October 03, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
i got my Davis VP2 setup and connected via weatherlinkIP.  Sending data to weatherlink and
WU with no issues.  Downloaded Cumulus and currently connected and using Cumulus just to check it out.

Ultimate goal is to setup a website for weather station.  I Got a domain name,  next will be to look into low cost hosting options.

My question is:  Is there anyway to build a decent weather website, without having to dedicate a 24/7 computer that never sleeps?  I travel most of each week and would like to be able work on website from the hotel,  in the evenings to develop/optimize it. 

Even tho weatherlinkIP is constantly uploading my site data, it is only sending that data to where Davis wants it,  albeit weatherlink, WU, CWOP etc...

The software pack that I pick to build/maintain website, would need to be constantly connected to weatherlinkIP in order to keep site running.

Is that where I'm at?

I may could resurrect an old desktop computer from the closet, that just needs a new hard drive, that might be my only solution.

No matter what software I end up choosing, I guess weatherlinkIP can't update to that software and consequently my website unless it is connected on my home network....

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Just enough knowledge to be dangerous
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »
I guess the first question is what it might be that you want to get out of having your own website that weatherlink.com plus WU don't already provide. (Not forgetting that you can embed a copy of one or both of the wl.com current weather webpages on your own site in an iframe.)

And you'll need to be careful about getting data out of the IP logger (to feed a separate PC) at the same time that it's uploading to wl.com.

(Just trying to clarify the aims here).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline quaffin1

• Semper Fi
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 05:26:40 PM »
Well, good question!
I live on a large creek and would like to provide a website that neighbors, friends and local fishermen could access that would provide up-to-date wind, temp/humidity, water temp.   I would like to have a frame that shows the current local radar, for checking on local thunderstorm possibilities.
My brother-in-law writes a local weekly fishing report that I would like to provide also.

And most importantly, just something that I could play with.  Eventually maybe a webcam showing the status of the water on the creek.  Calm, rough, etc.

Thanks

I'll keep playing with weatherlink and WU, to see how I like it.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 06:28:36 PM »
If those are your goals then you need to go ahead and setup a separate computer and run some half decent software on it that has the capability to upload to private web sites.   You can put teamviewer on it and your laptop and be able to message the web site from anywhere.

Offline quaffin1

• Semper Fi
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
I assume an older desktop computer that is currently running Windows XP would be sufficient.
If that was basically all it was doing.

BTW - Thanks for the tips

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
I assume an older desktop computer that is currently running Windows XP would be sufficient.

Absolutely.  In fact, it could be doing a few other things, too:

http://www.thecoys.net/

This is fed by a computer running XP, and it's also doing lightning (Boltek system), and pictures from 7 cameras (as you will be able to see).  The weather software is WeatherLink.  And I know that the look of the weather pages is "old fashioned" and it's only updated every 10 minutes - but it ain't broken.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »

Yep, that what I have.  And at one time, I had three stations connected to it and it kept on chugging right along at 26.4 kbs.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 09:03:15 AM »
I live on a large creek and would like to provide a website that neighbors, friends and local fishermen could access that would provide up-to-date wind, temp/humidity, water temp.   I would like to have a frame that shows the current local radar, for checking on local thunderstorm possibilities.
My brother-in-law writes a local weekly fishing report that I would like to provide also.

And most importantly, just something that I could play with.  Eventually maybe a webcam showing the status of the water on the creek.  Calm, rough, etc.

Well, in that answer you haven't said anything that requires you to run a separate weather PC, old or new. You've said 4 things:

1. 'up-to-date wind, temp/humidity, water temp'
2. A local radar image
3. A fishermen's report
4. A webcam image

Assuming that you're going to get some shared webspace (which you'll presumably need anyway) then:

[1] can be done as an iframe in your own webpage calling in one or other of the weatherlink.com pages;
[2] presumably is available as an image that again you can find a slot for on your own page
[3] is a file that you would upload manually once a week or whatever
[4] could be done automatically if you get a simple IP camera uploading to your website independently

In other words, 2-4 are not things that require a specifically weather PC and are things that you would need to design into your own web page anyway, while [1] is available already generated (assuming that you might be happy with the format). There are various attractions in running your own weather PC but just suggesting that it's good to be clear about why you might wish to go down that road when there are other simpler options.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline quaffin1

• Semper Fi
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 09:31:20 AM »
Thanks guys,
John you are right, looks like I can probably do all I need just using the weatherlink/WU feeds for station data.
Just depends if I like that format.  Guess I need to continue playing with the new station for awhile, before making any rash decisions.... 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »
Meteobridge will do what you want.  Even supports the Saratoga templates.  Mostly plug and ply and no PC needed.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
Well, good question!

Thanks

I'll keep playing with weatherlink and WU, to see how I like it.

FYI,
There is a site that provides a Fish and Game forecast to insert into your website.
Here is an example: http://www.cavecountryweather.com/fishgame.php

Offline quaffin1

• Semper Fi
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »
What does meteorbridge do, that weatherlinkIP doesn't?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!