Author Topic: Davis WX system to APRS through Alinco DR-135T radio with built in TNC???  (Read 3673 times)

Offline k9mlt

Greetings,

Mike Trautman, K9MLT here hoping for help with getting a weather station's data out over 2m radio on APRS. I am helping our R/C airplane club set up a Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station connected to an Alinco DR-135T 2m radio with built in TNC.

The WX station is working great and “Datalogger” is sending out data packets as requested. (confirmed by Hyperterminal) The radio is merrily sending out it “beacontext” message, which is reporting it's position to APRS Internet sites.
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=k9mlt-3&last=12

Both pieces of hardware are at 9600 baud and communicate with my laptop over a serial/USB adapter.

The problem seems to be that the TNC is not recognizing the WX data and sending it out. The Alinco TNC has a proprietary LTEXT command that triggers radio transmission of the GPSTEXT data stream... but only when the data packet starts with one of the recognized prefix sequences. These include: $PNTS, $GPGGA, $GPVTG, $GOZDA or $GPRMC.

My impression is that the data from the Davis WX station does not have the  same prefix sequences that a GPS would send. My question is, can anyone tell me how the Davis data packet begins so I can fool the Alinco radio into thinking the WX data is GPS data and transmit it?

Or is there perhaps some setting or TNC command that I missed for either making the Davis data acceptable to the radio, or make the Alinco TNC happy with the Davis data? A sample list of TNC commands from a functional Wxstation / radio combination would be appreciated. Or a raw data string from a Davis station might be useful.

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
This might help with the Davis Data packet.
Look at the WeatherLink Serial Communications Reference
Found here: http://davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/software_dllsdk.asp

The Davis Data packet starts with a "LOOP" or "LOO" depending on if a LOOP or LOOP2 packet was requested.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Unless I've missed it, you haven't said which Davis data logger you're using. Is it the 6540 for APRS? Or one of the standard 6510 general-purpose loggers, eg 6510SER?

Only the 6540 will generate an APRS-specific string (directly at least - obviously you could use an intermediate PC or other computer to run software to generate the APRS messages in the correct format).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline k9mlt

Thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should have specified that it is the 6540 APRS data logger we have. The entire system was purchased with RF APRS transmission in mind. Now that said, I have to admit that there are two of us working on the project and I am the ham radio guy, not the one who purchased the Davis WX station. I WILL go on site later today and try to verify that the data logger IS the APRS version.

Offline k9mlt

I'm a little out of order here, but I also wanted to thank Josiah for the reference and the data prefix information. I will be on site later today and will see if I can set the LTEXT command to LOOP or LOO with any results. As I understand what I've read, the LTEXT command is proprietary to Alinco and will trigger the transmission of the data stream following the prefix sequence. It basically would make the radio TNC think the weather data is a GPS string.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Alinco TNC is capable of WX station data transmissions. One web site claims that the Argent TNC replacement for the Alinco DR-135T radio is more flexible then the Alinco unit but the Argent web site says "Currently, the T2-135 can be connected to the Peet Bros. Ultimeter II and Ultimeter 2000 series (including the Ultimeter 800 and 2100), the Dallas/AAG TAI-8515 1-wire Weather Instrument, and the LaCrosse WS-2300 series."

It does not claim to work with Davis systems. The Alinco TNC documentation makes no mention at all of which WX systems it is compatible with. Perhaps I need to try an external TNC. Frustrating that Davis support has no information on connecting with this specific radio and Alinco appears to have designed the radio for GPS position reporting only.

I will try modifying the LTEXT command as I said, and confirm the data logging version this afternoon.

THANKS for the help!

Mike

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
This seems to be the character string that the 6540 logger reports:

==============================================
The APRS streaming data logger compiles a character string consisting of
the following:
ASCII character “@”,
The date and time on a 24 hour clock in the following format: Day of
Month, Hour, Minute, where each value is a 2 digit number.
Lower case “z”,
Latitude/longitude “position” string: 4903.50N/07201.75W_.
Scalar average wind direction (in degrees) over one minute
(reported as 000 if the average wind speed is zero);
Forward slash “/”,
Sustained one-minute wind speed (in mph);
Lower case “g”,
Gust (peak wind speed in mph in the last 5 minutes);
Lower case “t”,
Temperature (in degrees Fahrenheit). Temperatures below zero are
expressed as -01 to -99;
Lower case “r”,
Rainfall (in hundredths of an inch) in the last hour,
Lower case “p”,
Rainfall (in hundredths of an inch) in the last 24 hours,
Upper case “P”,
Rainfall (in hundredths of an inch) since midnight,
Lower case “h”,
Humidity (in %. 00 = 100%), omitted if missing;
Lower case “b”,
Barometric pressure (in tenths of millibars/tenths of hPa), omitted if
missing;
The letter “L”, (upper case if solar radiation is below 1000, lower
case if solar radiation is between 1000 and 1999), omitted if
missing,
Solar Radiation (in watts per square meter) last 3 digits (see above),
omitted if missing,
The following character string inside the quotes (including the
leading period): “.DsVP“. This will indicate that a Davis Vantage
Pro is sending the APRS data packet with its own proprietary
device.
Carriage Return character
Line Feed character
================

I think you'll find that the LOOP data from the standard 6510 loggers is a blind alley - this is not a text string, but a binary packet. Unless you've got some processing in place to transcode the binary packet into a meaningful text string (which presumably you need for the APRS modem)  I can't see how it would be useful
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline k9mlt

I think you are correct. I have already tried to use the LTEXT command with "@" as the trigger for transmission, since that seems to be the only consistent character beginning all the Davis data. But I get the EH? (invalid command) response from the  TNC. I think that the TNC probably will recognize only certain strings that initiate transmission.

Again, I'm questioning whether the Alinco TNC is even capable of recognizing the Davis data. I have an old MFJ TNC I may try, but need to dust off some old packet radio references and hardware to do so and the amount of time I'm spending on the project is getting out of hand.

BTW, I have had several WX/APRS stations running at different times over the last ten years with Peet Bros stations and Byonics TNCs. It's easy when the hardware is designed to work together.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO

Offline k9mlt

Yes, I've studied that one. Still looking for a TNC command list that's in service, any radio with Davis WX station.

Thanks!
Mike

Offline Josiah

• Add-InWx Software Author
  • Forecaster
    • Add-InWx
You might find something helpful here: http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/wx_product_docs.asp?pnum=06540
I did a google search for "Davis 6540 + APRS" and it was the fourth on the list.

Offline k9mlt

Thanks again, I have been through all those docs without find any specifics. It appears that different TNCs will accept different types of data. I've been in touch with a Davis systems owner who uses a Kenwood radio without any troubles. It appears the Kenwood TNC accepts Davis data. I may find the Alinco radio is just not going to do the job.
Mike

Offline k9mlt

Re: Davis WX system to APRS through Alinco DR-135T radio with built in TNC???
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
After two weeks of trying to make The Alinco DR-135T internal TNC accept and transmit Davis weather station data, I've confirmed as well as I can that the TNC is not capable of doing that task. The radio/TNC is a capable APRS reporting for NMEA GPS data and general packet operations, but Davis weather station data will not work.

My solution has been to bypass the Alinco's TNC and use the radio in simple VHS transmitter mode. As for the TNC function, I am using a Byonics TinyPack purchased with Davis capability installed. At $42 built (or $33 kit) this is an amazing bargain compared to other TNCs available. The cable to connect the TNC to the microphone connector is another $19 and shipping is $3. Note: you should specify the Davis capability at order.
http://www.byonics.com/

The weather site is active at:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=k9mlt-3&last=12

I also found out that weather stations sending their data by RF broadcast are not common. The vast majority of stations are connected more or less directly to the Internet. Rather disappointing to a ham radio enthusiast but that's the age we live in. We'll be there when the Big Hack comes.

Thanks to all who gave advice and support for this project!
Mike Trautman, K9MLT

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 07:08:05 PM »
...and thank you for the very helpful report on your investigation and solution.

Offline k9mlt

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 12:13:01 PM »
Rats! Out to the field again!

Offline k9mlt

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
Update,
The station is currently a Davis weather station connected to a Byonics Tinypack TNC and transmitting with an Alinco DR-135 (not using internal TNC). We have tried four different radios, all with similar results. We have received a replacement Tinypack on the suspicion the TNC was bad. All combinations of hardware have resulted the same result. The station transmits WX data for varying lengths of time, an hour to a day and a half, but then the WX data stops. The Tinypack status line continues to transmit.

Next step will be to set up a laptop running HyperTerminal and I will monitor the Davis data flow. If the data flow is interrupted after a few hours, I'll know that something in the Davis system is shutting it down and we'll pursue the problem with Davis. If the WX data continues uninterrupted for several days, that would indicate the Tinypack is the problem and we'll pursue with Byonics.

Now I just have to pull out a "disposable" laptop (the site is not secure) and set it up so it doesn't go on standby while I'm monitoring the data.

My wife says I'm too persistent. Kind of her not call me obsessed.

Mike

anything