Author Topic: I want to broadcast my weather station to Ham Weather  (Read 2945 times)

Offline easytim

I want to broadcast my weather station to Ham Weather
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
I want to broadcast my weather station to Ham Weather, I'm very new here. Will I now need to buy weatherlink?  I have a Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 #6152
Please tell me what I need to get hookup and start seeing it on the internet.

I feel so stupid, I just don't have any of the answers yet.   Thank You Tim

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: I want to broadcast my weather station to Ham Weather
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »
I want to broadcast my weather station to Ham Weather, I'm very new here. Will I now need to buy weatherlink?  I have a Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2 #6152
Please tell me what I need to get hookup and start seeing it on the internet.

First, if you really really want to use "HAMweather" http://www.hamweather.com/, then ignore the rest of this answer and go hire the folks at HAMweather to help you.

But if you are asking for the easiest, most straightforward way to publish your weather data 24/7 to "the internet", perhaps including Weather Underground, and CWOP/APRS, and other places, then:

I'll make a lot of assumptions here.  I assume you have a connection to the internet, which includes a router.

You must have a connection to your VP2 console, a thing usually called a "logger".  For simplicity, purchase the Davis WeatherLinkIP.  That connects to your console and your router, and automatically sends data to the WeatherLink.com weather site, from where it may be also routed to a few other places.

That solution is almost "plug and play".

There are lots of other ways, all of which are more complicated (and some of which are less expensive).  I'm confident that other folks will describe those and try to say they are not more complicated.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
VWS has WeatherForYou/Hamweather server built in, assuming you've established an account.

Offline easytim

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 04:56:41 PM »
Seems like I'll need a Davis 6555 weatherlinkip for vantage pro2 6152 6262 weather station.  Who's got the best price on this?

And I'll need to sign up with HAmWeather
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:12:06 PM by easytim »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
I recommend against the IP logger.   It almost forces you to upload thru Davis net. The USB logger is more flexable and there are numerous programs that will run with it that will allow you to up load to ham weather.     look at WUHU for an example.  Plus the IP logger sends incorrect data to CWOP. Enough right there not to buy it.

Offline easytim

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
Thanks for the info I'm just wanting the to do things that won't cause me problems later. The simple and stable way is what I want, I don't mind paying for something that works well. 

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »
As I indicated, there are lots of alternatives to the WeatherLinkIP.

For most of them, you will need to get weather software (VWS and WUHU were mentioned, and WeatherLink software comes with any of the 3 Davis loggers).

And for almost all of them, you will need a PC that runs 24/7.  Do you already have that?

If that complexity is OK for you, then Beaudog's suggestion of purchasing the Davis USB logger would be the easiest thing to set up (although there are again alternatives).  And of course, additional software such as VWS.

(I just suggested the WeatherLinkIP because it is simple to install and stable.  It does have some disadvantages.  And I don't personally know whether/how it works with HAMweather)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:42:29 PM by dalecoy »

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 06:10:46 PM »
I have a Davis VP2 with datalogger and I run WUHU.  I have used it for years and it is flawless.  I run weatherlink software program once/month and download the data and send it to the cloud as a backup.

I send data to Weather Underground, CWOP and PWS Weather (weatherforyou/hamweather).

Also the WUHU author reads this forum, as does weatherforyou.

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:12:52 PM by SlowModem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
Just out of curiosity why to you want to specifically send to ham Weather and not Weather Underground or CWOP?

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 06:32:11 PM »
I agree with Slow Modem.      I run a USB logger using WUHU software.   It is donation ware so you give what you think it is worth to you or just run it for free. He gave it away for free for years.

Mine runs on a netbook  and goes for months sometimes with out me ever even opening the cover to the netbook. It is rock solid.     Cumulus is a another donation ware that is also stable.

Offline easytim

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
I will be using a thing called climate module that works thru Ham Weather that will run my home automation to run an irrigation system.  The system is called ISY-994i if you want to look into it.  If it rained today don't water yard, if the wind is 4mph don't water yard, if the temp is 100 then it didn't rain at 5 pm water yard 1 hour longer. Something like this :)  THANKS BEAUDOG   I love that word rock solid

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:32:36 PM by easytim »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »
OK, in that case I agree with the other folks.  Davis USB Logger, PC that runs 24/7, and appropriate software.

Offline easytim

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 10:45:17 PM »
24/7 will work, I'm going to have a powerful battery back-up system.  Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:59:40 AM by easytim »