Author Topic: Stratus RG-202 Mounting  (Read 2314 times)

Offline butchr

Stratus RG-202 Mounting
« on: January 03, 2014, 02:33:54 AM »
Hello everyone. I ordered a Stratus RG-202 and was wondering about mounting it. I have not received it yet but I was thinking. A friend of mine had a rain gauge that pivoted at the top and at the time I thought that was the way to go. I have no real experience in this (hobby for me) but I realize that I might be making a big deal out of nothing but having the cylinder pivot with the wind so the opening of the cylinder is perpendicular to the rain would increase it's accuracy? I realize the weight of the water in the cylinder changes the dynamics or I should say the variables of doing something like this.  If so, I have not thought of a way to mount it so it would pivot 360 degrees. Where we live our winds prevail north and south so I could mount it so that it pivoted in that direction. I've been to CoCoRahs website and I didn't really find much on the issue except for the post taper, rain shadow etc. Am I making a big deal out of nothing? There has been quite a discussion on wind screens but I would put a Davis Rain Bucket in it primarily and use the Stratus as a comparison tool. If anyone has an opinion, please I would like to hear from you.

Thank You
Butch R

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: Stratus RG-202 Mounting
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »
One of the strengths of this program is that everyone uses the same gauge in the same way.  That way all the readings are relative to each other.  If someone mounts theirs different, then the readings wouldn't really compare to everyone else.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline butchr

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
Thanks Greg. Makes perfect sense.

Butch R

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 09:56:36 PM »
...and the rain falls on a HORIZONTAL SURFACE (the ground), which is what is being measured, tilting the gauge is just wrong for many reasons!
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network