Author Topic: Michael  (Read 7216 times)

Offline reddclay

Re: Michael
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2018, 10:09:53 PM »
Yes, space. Any trained eye can easily tell the approximate strength of a hurricane just by looking at it from above. You don't see Cat1's and 2's, even 3's, with perfectly formed CDO's. Not only, you have the central pressure readings taken from the NHC planes that fly into the storm directly, which corresponds very closely to wind speed, let alone the raw wind data they collect. As a matter of fact, Micheal had a lower central pressure at land fall than Andrew did, and that was a Cat5.
You don't need anemometers for proof.

I like this reframe.  Visual identification makes sense and letting me why the ground stations might be useless

I really appreciate all the replies!!!

Sounds to me that people don't realize all they don't know.  I'm not searching for anymore data but it would have been nice. Cherry on the cake and all that.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2018, 06:46:31 AM »
Is Mexico Beach the ONLY place that got "wiped out" from a cat 4 storm?  Must be photographic evidence of other places?

It looked like the eye went across an Air Force Base just east of Panama City.  I'm sure it's destroyed.  But it probably won't be publicized.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2018, 09:10:19 AM »
I read one report that basically every building at Tyndall AFB was destroyed.  Fox News had pictures of some small jets and maybe some prop-driven planes flipped over on their backs. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
Also the reason for the storm weakening "so quickly" is it lost it's fuel source, and it went through a lot of obstacles to help tear it up... When it got to North Carolina, it was still causing wind near 70 MPH on the east side. Power was knocked out across my neighborhood as I registered winds of 54 MPH with an anemometer dancing around near 26 ft AGL.

Offline rdsman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
It looked like the eye went across an Air Force Base just east of Panama City.  I'm sure it's destroyed.  But it probably won't be publicized.

It was pretty much devastated also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML_Vn0FF6lM

Ray

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »

It was pretty much devastated also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML_Vn0FF6lM

This was in the western eyewall, so it was northerly (offshore) winds. All wind damage. Look at those snapped trees.

Honestly, any time and energy expended to debunk the NWS data is better spent trying to figure out how to help the folks who lived through this and have to deal with the consequences.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »
I didn't think the Air Force would be so forthcoming.  The damage was total.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6271701/Tyndall-Air-Force-Base-devastated-Hurricane-Michael.html
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2018, 05:20:25 PM »
Please forgive my computer skills as I suck at this but I was able to piece together a before and after sat view of the area where it came ashore.
Look at how defoliated the area is after.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Vette-kid

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 04:23:24 PM »
I realize this thread is a bit old now.  I love close to where Micheal hit, in the Destin area.  I'm a pilot and after the storm I flew in that direction, there are HUGE swaths of pine Forest that are leveled.  Even today, flying over Panama City there are a lot of blue tarps still on roofs.  This was a devastating storm.  I hope this season more people, my friends included, will heed the warnings and get out of the way.  We did, and I'm glad we did.  We were about 60 miles as the crow flies from Mexico beach.  To close not to leave!