Author Topic: Should I replace my Vantage Pro2 Console when I replace the ISS?  (Read 622 times)

Offline LLL

My eleven year old wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS needs to be replaced. The Solar Panel has all but stopped working and the whole unit is showing it's age. I could start replacing parts, but I think that I would be better off replacing the entire unit.

My question is whether I should replace the 6312 console at the same time. I don't know what the life time of such electronics is, and if the console has been improved in the last eleven years.
Larry

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Should I replace my Vantage Pro2 Console when I replace the ISS?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:01:47 PM »
Consoles indoors in the warm and dry tend to last much longer than ISS units outdoors. That said, obviously a 11-year old console is somewhat more likely to develop a fault than a brand new one. Consoles have not changed much in 11 years.

If you do ever need a new console it's cheaper to buy one as part of a complete station than as a separate item at a later date.

Remember that a new console will also need a new logger (because of the green dot issue ca 2011).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline LLL

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 05:06:55 PM »
What is the green dot issue ca 2011?
Larry

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »
My eleven year old wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS needs to be replaced. The Solar Panel has all but stopped working and the whole unit is showing it's age. I could start replacing parts, but I think that I would be better off replacing the entire unit.

My question is whether I should replace the 6312 console at the same time. I don't know what the life time of such electronics is, and if the console has been improved in the last eleven years.

As others have stated, it is cheaper to buy a new console as part of a complete station rather than buying piece by piece. There have been very few changes to the console over the years, but occasionally Davis makes a firmware update to the consoles and if it is too old, the update might not work. Unless you believe the new Davis owners will rollout a VP3, I would get a whole new pws (ISS including the console) and move on. I have three consoles that range from 18 months old to 14 years old and I don’t see much of a difference among the 3. The latest consoles have the SHT31 temperature-humidity sensor in them. Not sure that is a positive or a negative (the SHT31 sensor is flakey or temperamental in my view) as I really don’t care about inside readings, particularly since I keep my console lights on most all of the time which elevates the inside temperature.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:00:56 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 08:33:54 PM »
What is the green dot issue ca 2011?

Davis's revenge :)