Author Topic: solar showing 0 percent in scroll  (Read 1628 times)

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
solar showing 0 percent in scroll
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:58:39 PM »
running ver 10.37 build 81. in the scrolling info on the top of the screen my solar shows as 0 percent.  is there a way to show the w/m2 reading  that weatherlink is sending to it? or what do I need to look at to change so the reading is not showing 0 when the sun is shining? the uv reading is showing the same as what weatherlink is displaying.  thanks for any help.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Re: solar showing 0 percent in scroll
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:29:38 PM »
Have you set the longitude and latitude? Also in the solar sensor setup there's a button that says "plot max solar line now for testing". This generates a theoretical maximum solar value compared with the actual measured solar radiation.

If the theoretical maximum solar is a bit early or later than the recording period then you might check the coordinates and adjust the attenuation Sometimes but not all the time an adjustment of the minute offset can correct the problem. Chances are, the coordinates are off and WD is expecting it to be nighttime rather than the middle of the day.

Solar percentage is a fraction of the theoretical maximum. I.e. the measured value vs expected value assuming clear skies.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:35:03 PM by Skywatch »
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 06:15:14 PM »
thanks for your reply,   yes I had the lat and long. set  to match what I have in weatherlink. on the solar set up tab, they talk about needing a minus sign in front of them if east of gmt.  I have tried both ways , using minus and not using it with no difference, still showing 0 percent.  the plot max solar button when pushed shows the solar w/m2 number the same as weatherlink, but still shows the solar at the 0,   how does the minute offset work.  try 1 minute and wait a while, or would any result show up pretty quick?

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
Almost forgot to mention, make sure your time zone is set. Minute offset shifts the solar maximum expected in line with sunrise and sunset. Sometimes even with the coordinates and time zone set the solar can still be a bit off.

In the attachment below shows an example of incorrect max solar expectancy.
For example at 16:00 (4:00 PM.) the max solar in white drops to 0. The solar percentage would show 0 because it's assuming it's nighttime. The white and yellow lines should be aligned with the maximum solar line a little bit bigger than the measured solar with respect to atmospheric filtering of solar radiation.

So my question, when you hit the max solar plot button, does your graph look a bit like that in the attached photo?

Sorry for the poor photo quality. I'm posting via smartphone using its camera.  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:35:41 PM by Skywatch »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 07:38:55 PM »
I've got another idea, how about getting a screen shot of your solar setup panel. Maybe I figure out what's your going on.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline tbern

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 10:31:13 PM »
so sorry for not getting back to you. our house has been over run with grandkids since last Saturday.  :grin:  I don't know what changed, but when I looked at weather display this morning the solar percent was working and continued threw the day.  I did not change anything except to reenter the same info as before. so what ever bug it  had it seems to have fixed itself.  I want to thank you for responding to my problem. and hopefully it will continue to work