Author Topic: WMR Frustrations  (Read 3097 times)

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
WMR Frustrations
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:08:25 AM »
I have owned a WMR100 since last October.  It is becoming a source of frustration.  I'm constantly losing contact with sensors especially the outdoor temperature and rain gauge.  Also the console stops talking to the PC on a regular basis.  I'm feeling low at the moment.  I'm considering an upgrade to the WMR200 consoe which would preserve my investment in sensors.  But I'd want to be sure that the WMR200 would be more reliable.  Otherwise I'm willing to change out stations.  Suggestions?  Comments? 

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: WMR Frustrations
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »
Your probably safe to assume the majority of us Davis owners are going to suggest buying a Davis VP instead.   ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:40:52 AM »
Your probably safe to assume the majority of us Davis owners are going to suggest buying a Davis VP instead.   ;)
      Ditto!!  Agree! =D> =D> =D>

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:22:34 AM »

....or a Rainwise!

Offline killwilly

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
I have owned a WMR100 since last October.  It is becoming a source of frustration.  I'm constantly losing contact with sensors especially the outdoor temperature and rain gauge.  Also the console stops talking to the PC on a regular basis.  I'm feeling low at the moment.  I'm considering an upgrade to the WMR200 consoe which would preserve my investment in sensors.  But I'd want to be sure that the WMR200 would be more reliable.  Otherwise I'm willing to change out stations.  Suggestions?  Comments? 

Don't waste your money on a 200, it wont be that much better, I speak from experience.

If you can stretch your budget go for a Davis, you wont regret it.  :-)

Alan.
Alan

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 12:08:31 PM »

i own both of these models. WMR 100 and the 2oo Ran the 100 for 2 years and up graded to the 200 last fall. Both have preform well. With the exception of one Transmitter going out on the 100. But wintewr here are tough. Put another transmitter in it and it is up and run  at last look up at the cabing. Temp readings was around 30 below.

Anyways I maybe have good ones or I am doing something rigth

John

Offline CookevilleWeatherGuy

• Contributor
  • Weather Isn't Climate
    • Cookeville Weather Guy
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 05:15:10 PM »
As another satisfied Davis owner who upgraded from a lower priced/quality station, I'm happy to recommend the station I have...

By the way, I notice your name is gadget guy! The Davis products are a 'gadget guys dream'!! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instruments-6250-Vantage-Wireless/dp/B002LLVFK0/ref=pd_sbs_k_2
Visit my WEATHER Page:
Cookeville Weather Guy

Davis Vantage Vue
VWS 14.01 p46
WU: KTNCOOKE10
SkyWarn Trained Storm Spotter
CoCoRaHS County Coordinator

Offline jeffgod

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:50 PM »
I have to agree with Mark / Ohio. Most Davis owners are going to say the same thing.
Member #2058
Vantage Pro 2 Cabled
WeatherLink serial version
Cumulus

Offline Strgazr27

• "The Cam Man"
  • Forecaster
    • Kings Park Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 07:31:32 PM »
Don't look at my Sig or you'll know my main answer ;)

Having said that, Have you replaced all the batteries in the transmitters that are failing? That's the first place I would look. Interference is another item that can be checked. I had similiar issues with my 968 when I owned it. I likened it to a boat. The 2 best days when I owned it were the day I bought it and the day I sold it......Every day with the Davis has been amazing ;)
Bobby M.
Davis VP2 6152 w Daylight FARS - Logitech C525 and C310
WD - WDLive - GRLevel3 - Image Salsa - VVP - Startwatch

"http://www.kingsparkweather.com"
KNYKINGS7 on WU

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
Thanks for all your comments.  For the moment everything is working again.  I installed logMeIn so I can handle more problems remotely.  the Weather Station is installed in a place other than my main residence.  The only problem I can't solve now is when the console loses contact with the PC.  I have new lithium batteries in the problem sensors.  That was a big help.  Getting a longer USB cable and moving the weather station further from the PC and the wireless router seems to help.  I relocated the rain gauge closer to the house this afternoon.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'm saving my pennies for a Davis.  I also switched from Yawcam to Webam Publisher for the web cam.  That helped with the webcam (not an OS problem!)

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline skysummit

• Forecaster
    • StormCast
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 10:52:50 AM »
If something ever happens to my 200, I'll also upgrade to a Davis...likely VP2.  So far my WMR200 has been up for about 2 years or so and other than having VWS lock up every once in a while, I've never had problems with it.  Since I've switched to Weather Display, I can say I've had absolutely no problems.  I hope I didn't jinx myself!

Now, we will be moving in about 6 months so maybe that might be the time for the upgrade to join the Davis family :)
Hardware:  Acurite Atlas with Lightning Detector
CoCoRaHs Station: LA-TG-11

NWS's Ponchatoula/Hammond Area's COOP Member
President | Director of Operations - StormCast

Offline Clay

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 12:47:51 PM »
Choose Davis... the quality, reliability, and accuracy is so much better than OS. You will recognize it right out of the box. I switched over from a WMR100 last November. The WMR feels really cheap to me now.
-Clay

Check out my new Davis Vantage Pro 2 on Wunderground

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 07:54:47 PM »

....or a Rainwise!

Aha!  Rainwise!  An excellent piece of equipment.  Rugged and well built!!
I just have to get myself one some day....I won't surrender.  :lol:
 8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

anything