Author Topic: Connecting Ambient Weather WS-2902A to CWOP  (Read 9504 times)

Offline GoDawgs

Connecting Ambient Weather WS-2902A to CWOP
« on: August 14, 2018, 11:18:38 PM »
Hello, everyone.  I recently got a WS-2902A up and running and am currently reporting to AmbientWeather.net, WeatherCloud and Weather Underground.  I've been unable to find a way to link to CWOP.  Their system seems a bit more archaic and not nearly as user friendly.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Go Dawgs

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Connecting Ambient Weather WS-2902A to CWOP
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 12:35:06 AM »
Method 1: WS-2902A - How to Send Weather Data to CWOP

This method and others listed work for a WS-2000 also

You need to add some devices to your setup to be able to publish to CWOP.

1. ObserverIP - This will get data from your WS-2902A outdoor sensor array. Set it up as a WS-1600-IP or WS-1550-IP.

2. WS-1000-BTH or WH32B - This provides barometric pressure and also indoor temp and indoor humidity and passes it to the ObserverIP device. The WH23B is the newer of the two.

3. Meteobridge - This reads the data from the ObserverIP. Then the Meteobridge can publish live data to CWOP.  Besides a Meteobridge (which you make and license) you can instead buy a WeatherBridge and the building a device work has been done for you and comes licensed. A WeatherBridge is actually a Meteobridge that has been built and licensed.

This is not that hard to do. Once you have this set up you can actually get rid of the display console. Because the Meteobridge (or WeatherBridge) can publish to just about anywhere as it gets data from the ObserverIP. Of course keep the display console if you want but don't publish to the same service with both display console and Meteobridge. The ObserverIP can also publish to the same services as the display console.

Note The reason you need the ObserverIP for this solution and the reason the display console doesn't work to connect the Meteobridge is simple. It is because the ObserverIP has a built in web page with your live weather data that can be read by the Meteobridge. The display console does not have this web page functionality. Also some other model Ambient Weather stations had a USB connection for a PC. This USB connection in those consoles could be connected to the Meteobridge instead of to a PC. The WS-2902A display console does not have a USB connection.

* Method 6 is a new variation of this method. It uses the GW1000 instead of the ObserverIP.
You know what...forget everything else...just buy a GW1000 and make it simple.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34922.msg378032#msg378032
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:56:27 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 07:53:45 AM »
Method 2: WS-2902A - How to Send Weather Data to CWOP
(See follow-up post for variation of this method that we'll call Method 2.5)

There is actually another method for the WS-2902A to publish to CWOP but it is more complicated. But it is potentially cheaper than getting the ObserverIP, WS-1000-BTH (or WH32B) and Meteobridge (WeatherBridge). It really depends on what computer and network equipment you may already have.

This other method to publish to CWOP mostly requires the use of a computer (an old one you already have lying around, or a cheap one, or it is popular to use a Raspberry Pi because they are cheap, small and take up little space.) Then add some software. You'll also need an old router that can run custom firmware or get a cheap router capable of running WRT or Tomato.

The software you need for the computer is WeeWx. You'll need to use the WeeWx interceptor driver to capture data being sent by the WS-2902A display console via the custom router as it sends to Weather Underground. Once WeeWx has this data it can then publish to a number of services including CWOP. And WeeWx will then also pass along the intercepted data to Weather Underground.

In concept the above paragraph explains how it works without getting too technical. But in reality to accomplish all of that it is complex. Because it requires a whole lot more technical experience. You'll need Linux experience, router configuration experience, and networking experience to redirect Weather Underground traffic to the WeeWx computer. Keep in mind that this custom router does not replace your existing router. It sits between your display console and the WeeWx computer from a network design perspective. But there are a lot of guides and write ups. But you probably won't find all the information in one place. And if you are a real network guru and you already have a managed layer 3 switch on your network then you won't need the router with custom firmware as you'll program your layer 3 switch to do the redirection to the WeeWx computer, but your network will have to also have a wireless access point that is not the router if you are using the WS-2902A display console.

It is much easier and convenient to use the first method in my prior post, although probably more expensive.

Note: I don't have any proof but conceptually this method of capturing Weather Underground data via network redirection could potentially be a solution to get any weather station from any manufacture that publishes to Weather Underground to be able to also send data to CWOP. With one caveat...Stations like Netatmo that don't directly publish to Weather Underground via your network have no WU data to intercept. These station publish to only to their private Internet cloud service and then from there it goes to Weather Underground, so it isn't done over your network.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:32:45 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
Method 3: WS-2902A - How to Send Weather Data to CWOP

As if that was not enough there is actually sort of a 3rd method which is like a hybrid of both prior methods to get the WS-2902A to publish to CWOP.

This 3rd method requires the ObserverIP and the WS-1000-BTH (or WH32B) but instead of the Meteobridge (Weatherbridge) you do the whole network redirection mentioned in method 2 above.  And so instead of capturing Weather Underground traffic from the WS-2902A display console you are capturing it from the ObserverIP over to the WeeWx computer. But there is more...don't stop reading yet.

This 3rd method actually has an advantage that may reduce some of the complexity of method 2. Since the ObserverIP can be modified to run an older version of its firmware you can then do the Weather Underground network redirection with just the ObserverIP. No need for router with complex custom firmware and no need for network expertise. This is because there is an older ObserverIP firmware that lets you change the IP address for the Weather Underground server. So instead of the ObserverIP sending data directly to Weather Underground you configure it with the IP address of your WeeWx computer and bingo, you have the data in WeeWx without needing to do the complex network redirection and without all that extra hardware. There are many old firmwares available to download for the ObserverIP. I don't know off hand exactly which older version is a good one that lets you modify the Weather Underground server IP address. This feature on the ObserverIP was blocked (removed) from the current firmware versions.

Note: In case you were wondering...The WS-2902A does not have the capability of changing the the Weather Underground server IP address.

TIP You can have multiple ObserverIP devices. Just like you can have multiple display consoles. The possible reason for having multiple ObserverIP devices is to have one with the latest firmware for use with its built in services and possibly a Meteobridge. The second ObserverIP is the one that would be downgraded to the earlier firmware for the sole purpose of communicating with WeeWx. This is in case there is a conflict of interest between two different desired functions. Like maybe a current or future ObserverIP firmware is something you really need for whatever other functional or compatibility reason.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 07:50:09 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline Kalibr

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 10:09:07 PM »
Cool!  Been wondering about this myself actually.
WU : KMIANNAR169
CWOP : FW3745

Offline thedehumidifier3

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 11:09:34 PM »
I just set up a WS-2902A this past weekend and found this helpful thread about getting setup with CWOP. In addition to the great options provided by galfert, there's another hybrid way to get information from the WS-2902A display to CWOP (and anywhere else that WeeWx supports). Be aware that this does require some Linux and networking knowledge.

I have a Raspberry Pi Zero W acting as a WiFi access point for the WS-2902A while also running WeeWx. This allows the Pi to act as both the special router and WeeWx computer without the need for ObserverIP or any other device. In my case, I use the Pi Zero W's built-in WiFi as the wireless access point and connect into my main router via a USB-to-Ethernet dongle so the Pi can access the Internet.

There are a few guides online for setting up a Pi as a WiFi access point. This one is a good start: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point.md

I then made sure to assign the WS-2902A a static IP via dnsmasq and got WeeWx running using the interceptor driver to sniff the packets that the WS-2902A is sending to WeatherUnderground. WeeWx then records the data and sends it to CWOP and other services. So far this setup is working for me, but time will tell if it's stable.

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone else using this particular PWS.
WU: KNYCLAY13
CWOP: FW3743

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 11:38:12 PM »
Method 2.5:
See previous post by thedehumidifier3

thedehumidifier3,
Very nice solution. It seems like it is a version of my Method 2 but using one device to do both functions. Neat!

So does this mean every time you want to do a firmware update on your WS-2902A you have to put your phone on that access point's SSID? Unless the access point is also acting as a wireless bridge? For example does the WS-2902A console end up on a same subnet or different subnet?  Same subnet would indicate a wireless bridge, different subnet would indicate routing is occurring....not the end of the world. But hopefully it is a bridge with same subnet.

The new awnet app just updated is much better that now it shows graphs and is more polished. The old one did nothing but configure the display console and update firmware. Would be nice to be able to use easily if you are on the same subnet.

**UPDATE: There is yet another way to send data to WeeWx without needing to capture network traffic using network trickery. This is accomplished by using a new console from Ecowitt model GW1000. The newest GW1000 firmware allows a "Customized" Weather Service where you can specify the WU (or Ecowitt) protocol and send it to any server you want (like your own WeeWx server running Interceptor driver).

Method 4: Use SDR (ink below will jump you much further down this thread)
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34922.msg370193#msg370193

(method 3 was not skipped...scroll back up if you missed it)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:31:47 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 11:55:34 PM »
Actually I just read the instructions to the link you posted. It seems that there are two options for the Pi. You can set it as a WiFi access point with separate subnet or you do it as a wireless bridge. And the fact that you mentioned setting up DHCP service means that you are on a separate subnet. Why didn't you do the bridge mode instead?
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
I just got my very first MADIS report. Very happy. Two green thumbs up and green checks on all, except for wind only got one green thumbs up. I think that is only because wind QC requires 7 days of data to be analyzed by MADIS and there isn't that much data there yet from me (not even 3 days yet). Could be also because I'm still using temporary pole and wind speeds are low. I'm waiting for my back ordered Tele-Pole to arrive. I know my wind even with the Tele-pole wont still be a perfect solution because I didn't get the 30 foot model. That is too tall for an all in one. The best compromise for an all in one is their 16 foot model (plus 4x the difference in height to the nearest obstruction which I can do).

I don't want to brag but if I compare to my nearest airport ASOS 7.1 miles away I'm neck an neck tracking evenly (except for wind of course for reasons stated), and dare I say I'm out performing all the VP2s around me! (did I say that out loud?....shhhhhh...not looking to start a flame war). But I'm smiling ear to ear and I can't help it.

I have to say I'm liking this WS-2902A a whole lot more than I thought I would. I'm simply very impressed with its sensors. Of course I won't count my chickens before they hatch. I'll see how it goes after a year and if it maintains this level of reliability. Hopefully by the time I'm ready to get rid of this WS-2902A the VP3 will be out. I'm not touching a VP2 this late in its product cycle timeline.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 12:01:08 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline thedehumidifier3

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
galfert,

You bring up a good point. A bridge is a better solution in most cases since you'll have the station on the same subnet. I didn't even think of the awnet app since I've been using the local Weewx report to monitor the station. I may be able to get it working with the wireless access point method by allowing the Pi to assign IP addresses in the same subnet while being careful for the DHCP ranges to not overlap with the real home router. Something to experiment with over the long weekend.

I did briefly try the bridge setup but none of the network interfaces came up and I quickly moved back to the access point method. With some more patience and troubleshooting, I could possibly get it working. However there is some conflicting information online about whether the Pi can actually do a true bridge using its internal WiFi chipset. Refer to https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/81486/raspberry-pi-wifi-to-ethernet-bridge-for-a-server

That's awesome to hear that the WS-2902A is working well for you! This is my first weather station so I'm learning the nomenclature and everything, but I've been happy with mine so far. The station was easy to set up and the readings are consistent with surrounding stations. I need to look into getting MADIS reports once I'm done experimenting with my network setup. I know my wind readings will be somewhat off because I can't meet the distance/height requirement without setting it up on a large pole.

WU: KNYCLAY13
CWOP: FW3743

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »
UPDATE: Looks like 4 days is all that is needed to get all 8 green thumbs up (2 x 4 metrics). I got all my green thumbs up today (only had 7 yesterday). Even the wind is now perfect. I've actually achieved 100% on all fist three metrics (mouse hover over thumbs) and 90% on the last one which is wind. I won't be surprised that when I have 7 days the Wind will also be 100%...or at least better than the current 90% I have now. It isn't just about wind speed but also wind direction. I've have better ratings than all of my neighbors including better than the airport ASOS which scores 99%, 98%, 100%, and 93%. I guess I don't need a taller pole after all to get good wind rating.  This WS-2902A is awesome, its a keeper for now.

Please don't get the idea that you can just buy a WS-2902A and get a perfect MADIS rating as I have. Siting is important, and barometer calibration to be done right is a lot of work, it isn't a simple adjustment. You need to have the proper elevation entered also. And you need good nearby neighbors. It probably helped me to have 3 different ASOS within 19 miles (to the North and South of me, closest one 7 miles).

A great deal of weather station around me on WU are just not cared for. I would hate to see Joe Blow end up on CWOP.  True, there are some bad ones on CWOP too....but nothing is perfect.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:50:33 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »
Congratulations!  :grin:
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
And finally I have achieved MADIS 100% score on Wind without a tall pole after 7 days of data. I guess my neighbors don't have tall poles either...hehe. Well you'd think that but they actually do have tall poles. I guess whatever analysis is being done might be more a factor of wind direction rather than wind speed.

So there you have it. WS-2902A firing on all cylinders. The CWOP quality control and the MADIS Gladstonefamily quality control numbers are impressive.  If the longevity and reliability keeps up then I'd say we have a winner. I certainly hope so.

Even MADIS Surface QC analysis which I don't see much talk about around this forum are also very impressive (V is best, then S, and then C) Precipitation always gets a C even for ASOS stations:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Too bad the VP2 crowd probably will not even acknowledge this newcomer. Well they can keep messing with and swapping out humidity sensors. I feel bad for them. Davis has let them down. Seems like their humidity sensors last 18 months. If I  have to pluck down and replace the outdoor unit in 18 months I'd say we are par for the course and worth it at $59 (Used to be $37...maybe it will go back down). Or maybe since by that time I'll then be out of warranty I'll finally open up the WS-2902A and see what sensors are inside of it and see if there is a cheap DIY sensor replacement available via DigiKey or Mouser. They just have to be using off the shelf parts I would imagine. I'm very curious what temp/humidity sensor is inside.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:02:45 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
Where did you get that QC analysis from. I'd like to check mine since we both have the same station.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 10:12:46 PM »
Tele-Pole

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »
Too bad the VP2 crowd probably will not even acknowledge this newcomer.
Seriously? Why would we? Just because our 31's have a humidity problem, yours won't even go lower than 10%. At least Davis products can, which is a rather big deal for some of us. The fact is that every parameter of the VP2 is far superior to anything this product (or anything from this maker) offers, other than bells and whistles. If you want to lay your "framework" on why the VP2 is so overrated because of mishandled sensors causing some humidity issues, you go right ahead. Just to be clear, I merely post this so your remarks don't confuse PWS newbies on what's what, not to defend Davis, it is what it is.
BTW, since in the PWS world "all in ones", like this, are desirable, :roll: I'd take a Vue in a heartbeat.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 10:38:02 PM »
Outdoor humidity range for WS-2902A:

Outdoor Humidity Range: 10 to 99%
Outdoor Humidity Accuracy: ± 5%
Outdoor Humidity Resolution: 1 %

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2902.html

Humidity is a pretty big deal. It affects dew point results, Heat Index and Wind chill.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 10:47:25 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline VinnyRI

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 09:52:01 PM »
Seriously? Why would we? Just because our 31's have a humidity problem, yours won't even go lower than 10%. At least Davis products can, which is a rather big deal for some of us. The fact is that every parameter of the VP2 is far superior to anything this product (or anything from this maker) offers, other than bells and whistles. If you want to lay your "framework" on why the VP2 is so overrated because of mishandled sensors causing some humidity issues, you go right ahead. Just to be clear, I merely post this so your remarks don't confuse PWS newbies on what's what, not to defend Davis, it is what it is.
BTW, since in the PWS world "all in ones", like this, are desirable, :roll: I'd take a Vue in a heartbeat.

The VP2 is no doubt a better station but is in no way far superior. Far superior in build quality ( Although I have not seen one in person, I would give it the nod ) but not in accuracy. Better yes but not far superior. Far superior would mean If the VP2 is dead on accurate showing a temp of 90 degrees The Ambient 2902 would be showing 80 or 100. Like I said in an earlier post it is within a degree of all the Davis stations I have located in my area VP2 or Vue. For the average home PWS hobbyist the 2902 can't be beat and is in no way a crap weather station. I'm not saying you said it is but your remarks can confuse newbies to not waste their time with the 2902. The Acurite 5 in 1 I had was closer to crap. 10 degree spikes during the day. Rain gauge was fairly accurate but died after a few years. If you want to talk far superior then look at commercial stations that are several thousand dollars.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 11:14:47 PM »

The VP2 is no doubt a better station but is in no way far superior. Far superior in build quality ( Although I have not seen one in person, I would give it the nod ) but not in accuracy. Better yes but not far superior.
Well, you're helping make my point for me. In the PWS world, they're not even in the same zip code. That's like me trying to justify my VP2 against RMY equipment, which frankly compares more favorably than what you're suggesting. If the word "far" is over the top for you, so be it, I find it accurate as a whole.
All I suggest is that people do their homework, (it literally took me years to pull the trigger on my VP2 against it's only true competitor, Rainwise), and simply not let peoples uneducated opinions do it for them.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »
@galfert shouldnt make such bold statements your only noise is humidity based on the thread found elsewhere here  , but rainfall measurements under extreme or persistent gusty conditions is important , windspeed accuracy is important under extreme or persistent gusty conditions , having the ability to position certain components for optimum is not achievable with these all in one types in some enviroments,locations.

if i was to use an all in one unit in my location(which i have in the past and had to accept the compromise) i have had to trade off somewhere along the line, do I position it for temperature and lose rainfall data accuracy due to vicinity of structures . you have to look at all scenarios not just your back  yard and nearby stations comparisons can be worthless as totally different setup,hardware,enviroment and so on . many of us don't have a backyard so to achieve optimum results we have need to use hardware which permits positioning of components.

anyway if you dig deeper the humidity issue is resolvable with some thought and reading..

yes dewpoint is important very important as that is our main observation here in istanbul during summer and winter months , we get used too high temperatures but what causes us discomfort is the humidity/dewpoint and the all in one solutions dont give me or never has the true result often reads too high due to limitation of positioning or making the compromise..

my old all in one solution was 80 feet agl awesome for wind speed tracking but failed miserably too measure accurate rainfall during high winds this is where the option of positioning comes into play and better designed rain component hardware with option of positioning really paid off.

ws2092 looks to be a solid entry level unit but it doesn't go beyond that .the hobby needs good entry level hardware to keep the hobby alive and I have real strong inkling what is under that very small radiation shield but im not bold enough to guess on it ..be brave its just a few screws and tell us your findings also lets hope in 12-18 months your NOT replacing parts Chinese manufactured plastic tends to be vulnerable over time even though the manufacturers make claims that its treated....

have to agree with CW2274 on this ..

brian

brian
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:46:17 AM by weather34 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »
I don't think I've made any bold claims. I agree with your assessments and explanation for other metrics like rain and siting limitations depending on environment...etc. And I agree with the possible limitations of rainfall accuracy during fast rains. My only claim has been that I got the WS-2902A as a stop gap because I didn't feel like buying a VP2 at this point in time, and I've been impressed with the performance, more so than I ever expected. My noise is that I'm happy with my purchase so far. If it breaks within a year it is under warranty. If it breaks within 2 years it is under Amex extended warranty. If it breaks after 2 years...then I got my money's worth. By then the VP3 should be out. I am fortunate to have an open back yard and the all in one is working for me, and I know it isn't perfect.

I live in Florida with pretty high temperatures (but not as high as AZ) and high humidity and fast downpours and we get hurricanes. So far its keeping up with every Davis around me. But I'm not saying that this is the end all be all device at a cheap price for the reasons you've mentioned like the all in one limitations. Also like you've mentioned and I've mentioned we don't know how long it will last as it is too new.

I will be among the first to buy the VP3 a short while after it comes out and proves itself. I'm a big Davis fan and I hope that they continue to deliver great products. I also don't think I'm at odds with CW2274. I look up to all of you that have been doing this for so many more years than me. I'm pretty level headed. This is good dialog and helpful to other newcomers. I certainly don't want people to get the wrong idea and think the a WS-2902A is the go-to device for every situation. I do think it is the perfect starter system, better than anything cheap before it that we have ever seen. The WS-2902A is in a different class than the old Fine Offset clones.

But I also think that the VP2 crowd should consider taking a look at the WS-2902A and to recognize what it does well. I can't believe nobody for example has had the desire to take one of these apart and see what makes it tick. I'm referring to the humidity sensor. Yes everything else about the all in one is a compromise, small radiation shield, unproven high wind speeds, unproven high downpour...etc..etc. But the one thing that is the big issue with the VP2 now is the humidity and nobody want to take a look inside a WS-2902A, yet they've bough cheap Acurite temp/humidity sensors to compare with. I think someone aught to look at this thing closer.

Blackberry at one time made the best device and they sold the most. Then they failed to look over and acknowledge what others were doing. They were too set in their ways. Now look at them. I just didn't think it was the right time to invest in a Davis VP2.....they have to come out with something new and convince me that they are still on top of their game. It is too bad I didn't get into this 4 or 5 years ago....as I would definitely be a VP2 owner today.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:37:46 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 10:13:04 AM »
i guess what matters most is that your happy and you feel its money well spent, but the bold statement of comparison of hardware that allow positioning options of rain,wind,temperature,additional sensors and so on your going to invite comments like mine and perhaps others. you have the ws2092 take a look inside its a just few screws you cant break anything and all sensors need a bit of cleaning after dry windy periods , i do mine once a month as I have some nearby construction of apartments and shopping mall 2 km line of sight and amount of construction dust,dirt that blown our way is quite apparent and im 150 metres from sea front all previous all in one models from fine offset the components suffered badly..

as for VP3 its a myth :-)

anyway take a peek inside you may be pleasantly surprised or holy crap.brian

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »
I like taking things apart. But I want to be cautious that I don't mess anything up. I don't want to void my warranty by breaking any seals that may not be visible and internal. I don't want to weaken any chance of water and moisture getting into the wrong places. I'll take it apart but it won't be any time soon.

I still don't think I'm making any bold claims. People need to take all the information in from various sources and make a purchase decision on their own. I can only offer my experience. I've been blown away as I never expected results this good.

Here take a look at this. This is my station F3708 compared to 3 airport ASOS within 19 miles of me and I've even thrown in C0572 the best running VP2 around me.
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/qchart/F3708?date=20180907&addnl=KSFB&addnl=KMCO&addnl=KORL&addnl=C0572&Add+to+charts=Add+to+charts&.cgifields=addnl

That is impressive! Still no bold claim. Everyone's situation is different. They may value more accurate wind speeds more than me or piece of mind that fast downpour will be possibly more accurate (haven't seen evidence yet that I'm not keeping up though). And who knows how long this thing will work this well. As for wind I'm still on short 10 foot pole though...waiting for my 16 foot flag pole that should make a little difference.

This is not your father's Fine Offset. But I recon it is still a cheap Chinese hunk of plastic....but it looks better and not as cheap looking as before, and it runs better. And it isn't the end all be all, and I'm not claiming it is the best.

All I want is some...just a wee bit of recognition from the VP2 crowd that the numbers don't lie and that the WS-2902A is impressive for what it is capable of doing within its limitations and knowing we won't know how long it will last. And just maybe it might be a tough decision between it and at least a Davis Vue.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 11:45:21 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »
im going to get under your skin now like a rash :-) 19 mile difference for comparisons that is flawed and not valid always going to be some variance , be it error or factual .. i have stations in a 2 km range totally different enviroments,surroundings,hardware,ASL and so on always a variable difference .best comparison side by side its the only way to compare .. you will get recognition from valid results not the nearby method..

until you pop your head inside and take a look we will never know what the sensor is..

brian

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »
UPDATE: Sensor is a Sensirion SHT30. Someone else took it apart.

Brian,
My nearest ASOS is 7 miles to the North. The next closest is 10 miles South and the next is 19 miles South. I'm not making any bold claims. I'm just saying that at any given time all these airports always seem to have the same pressure. Probably because I live in flat near sea level Florida. Your experience where you live may be different. Where I live the pressure is always the same for very far distances. If the ASOS North of me has the same pressure as the ASOS South of me and I'm in the middle and our elevation is not different chances are that unless a hurricane is over my house that the pressure will be the same at my house. I'm not disagreeing with your statement about the best method being side by side. But in my case I feel confident that I can compare myself to all three of these ASOS when they are all equal. Sure there are times when they aren't equal as a front moves in ....but then I don't compare nor calibrate at those times. I check isobars and when everything lines up then the same pressure is evident regardless of elevation...that is why we correct for elevation...which is the whole purpose of corrected pressure.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:12:05 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything