Author Topic: Snow icon not showing..  (Read 452 times)

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
    • College Hills Weather - Farmingville, NY
Snow icon not showing..
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
Hi veryone.. Ive been using Scott's old alt-dashboard, and today I seem to have an issue with my website not consistently showing the snow icon and today's snowfall.. It seems the snow icon will show at random times, but most of the time it is showing the rain icon with the 0.01" of rain the gauge measured earlier.  My site is at https://www.indigopc.com 

In my AltAjaxDashboardConfig6.php file, I'm using:
$showSnowTemp = '34';  // display Snow instead of Rain when temp (F) is <= this temperature.

In Settings-weather.php, the following is set -- I'm not sure if it is in some way conflicting:
$SITE['showSnowTemp'] = 3; // show snow instead of rain if temp (C) is <= this amount

I'm going to try commenting out the settings-weather.php one - but curious which one should be set -- and should it be C or F.

Thanks,
Rick

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
Re: Snow icon not showing..
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
Rick,

I believe that the temperature to "show the snow icon" is based on the "wet bulb temperature" not the "air temperature". I have mine set to 32 F and the snow icon will not show until the wet bulb temp. =<  32 degrees F

Hope this helps.
Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:52:27 PM »
My wetbulb right now is 34.0.. After I posted the message, I had bumped the showSnowTemp up to 35 in th AltAjaxConfig6.php file.. Still getting the rain icon..

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:16:35 PM »
In "AltAjaxConfig6.php" file I have $showSnow      = true; and $showSnowTemp  = '32';

In Settings-weather.php, the following is set in my settings --
$SITE['showSnowTemp'] = 32; // show snow instead of rain if temp (C) is <= this amount

I think that your issue is in $SITE['showSnowTemp'] in Settings-weather.php. Set this value to whatever you set in the config file. They should be the same value.

Jeff

Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline RickNY

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »
OK.. I think I found the issue.. At least on my copy of the ajax-dashboard6.php file -- having a wetbulb temperature that is higher than 32 will set $freezing to false, and in turn, not show the snow icon.. On my file, this is around line 316 or so -- and is:
Code: [Select]
if ((preg_match('|in|i', $uomRain) and strip_units($wetbulb) > 32)
        or (preg_match('|[A-Za-z]m|i', $uomRain) and strip_units($wetbulb) > 0)) { //Check to see if snow is possible
    $freezing = false;
} else {
    $freezing = true;

So, it looks like whatever values you may have set will be ignored in any instance where wetbulb is higher than 32.. When I bump the 32 up, I get my icon..

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
Glad that you got it resolved. Hopefully we won't need the snow icon very much longer ...
Jeff

anything