Author Topic: The Davis dead horse  (Read 11514 times)

Offline tshattuck

• Forecaster
    • Your Local Weather - Clay, NY
Re: The Davis dead horse
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »
Parke10
You definitely have a small yard!  :shock:

It would be in your best interest to keep the rain gauge and temperature units (ISS) in your yard if possible. I am speaking from experience here I don't know how many times a bird has left a calling card in my rain gauge which plugs it up. The bird droppings also eat into the plastic if left for several days. I am on my second rain bucket.  :-(

I've had my VP2+ now for 11 years. Mine is mounted on a 8' 4"x4" with the ISS @ 5' elevation. My Anemometer is at 14' elevation it is mounted to galvanized steel pole which is mounted to the 4x4.

Regards,

Offline Parke10

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2018, 03:12:17 PM »
Parke10
You definitely have a small yard!  :shock:

It would be in your best interest to keep the rain gauge and temperature units (ISS) in your yard if possible. I am speaking from experience here I don't know how many times a bird has left a calling card in my rain gauge which plugs it up. The bird droppings also eat into the plastic if left for several days. I am on my second rain bucket.  :-(

I've had my VP2+ now for 11 years. Mine is mounted on a 8' 4"x4" with the ISS @ 5' elevation. My Anemometer is at 14' elevation it is mounted to galvanized steel pole which is mounted to the 4x4.

Regards,

I may have to, but I'd really like to avoid having it in the backyard grass area due to it being so small as it is, my gardener having to mow around it, and my horse size dogs making a chew toy out of it.

Plus as you can see in that picture there's a large tree in the South East corner, plus the house to the north, garage to the west, and 6ft fence around the entire property worries me that they may reduce the amount of rain actually recorded.

It may end up being a trial and error process to start with since I have a terrible area for a personal weather station.
 ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Offline Parke10

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
Well the VP2 has been ordered from Ryan at Scaled. Let another overly expensive hobby begin.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2018, 06:38:08 PM »
Well the VP2 has been ordered from Ryan at Scaled. Let another overly expensive hobby begin.
Congrats! Daytime or 24hr?

Offline Parke10

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2018, 06:41:27 PM »

24Hr, didn't feel like the little bit of money savings at this point would be worth it

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2018, 06:48:31 PM »

24Hr, didn't feel like the little bit of money savings at this point would be worth it
In case you're unaware, you'll have three choices on aspiration rates, 1) leave both batteries out for maximum daytime aspiration and zero at night (this is what I used until I went a/c), 2) one battery in, one out, this is for lesser daytime aspiration and some at night, 3) both batteries in for maximum night time aspiration and the least in the day (personally, I wouldn't go this route).

Offline Parke10

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2018, 08:35:24 PM »
In case you're unaware, you'll have three choices on aspiration rates, 1) leave both batteries out for maximum daytime aspiration and zero at night (this is what I used until I went a/c), 2) one battery in, one out, this is for lesser daytime aspiration and some at night, 3) both batteries in for maximum night time aspiration and the least in the day (personally, I wouldn't go this route).

Why wouldn't you go with option 3?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »

Why wouldn't you go with option 3?
Being that you're in an equally hot climate as myself with wicked solar insolation, I'd want the fan sucking air through that sensor chamber as fast as the ISS will allow with the stock fan. With keeping that chamber as close to ambient as possible, the more accurate it'll be. Of course some say "really, what's a degree", I'll take better accuracy over lesser every single day.

Offline Parke10

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2018, 01:10:44 AM »
Being that you're in an equally hot climate as myself with wicked solar insolation, I'd want the fan sucking air through that sensor chamber as fast as the ISS will allow with the stock fan. With keeping that chamber as close to ambient as possible, the more accurate it'll be. Of course some say "really, what's a degree", I'll take better accuracy over lesser every single day.

That makes sense.
Now that you've explained I guess my assumptions made me read what you originally wrote wrong. I was assuming that both batteries would make the fan run at maximum speed day and night.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 02:08:06 AM »

That makes sense.
Now that you've explained I guess my assumptions made me read what you originally wrote wrong. I was assuming that both batteries would make the fan run at maximum speed day and night.
No sir. What happens is that the large solar panel angled out on the bottom not only powers the fan in the day, it also recharges one or both batteries that were used the previous night, at the same time. So, if one or both are in, the current from the panel is not just powering the fan in the day, it's using current to charge the batteries too, taking power from the fan.

Offline Parke10

« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 02:08:53 AM »
No sir. What happens is that the large solar panel angled out on the bottom not only powers the fan in the day, it also recharges one or both batteries that were used the previous night, at the same time. So, if one or both are in, the current from the panel is not just powering the fan in the day, it's using current to charge the batteries too, taking power from the fan.

Well that makes perfect sense now that I Actually think about it.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 03:20:10 AM »

As far as the VP2 goes it really doesn't fall into the overly expensive category as if you really want to go into all that stuff re aspirated this and heated that and not on the roof but this has to be on the ground and .... then that stuff is out there and then you may call it expensive and that's even before you get beyond the hobby stage 

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »
I may have to, but I'd really like to avoid having it in the backyard grass area due to it being so small as it is, my gardener having to mow around it, and my horse size dogs making a chew toy out of it.
Wait a minute, you have a "so small" yard, a gardener, and "horse size dogs"?  What is the gardener for...filling in holes?   :-D

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Parke10

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »

As far as the VP2 goes it really doesn't fall into the overly expensive category as if you really want to go into all that stuff re aspirated this and heated that and not on the roof but this has to be on the ground and .... then that stuff is out there and then you may call it expensive and that's even before you get beyond the hobby stage 

Never said the VP2 was expensive, said the hobby is going to be. Since ill probably end up buying more and more weather related stuff. Although the VP2 is "expensive" if you compare it to you typical "home" station.

Wait a minute, you have a "so small" yard, a gardener, and "horse size dogs"?  What is the gardener for...filling in holes?   :-D

Mostly for the front yard haha, and yes he actually does fill in the holes from time to time :grin:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2018, 04:19:52 AM »
Expensive hobby? Hardly.  One and done, for the most part.  If you want expensive, try radio control planes or boats.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Parke10

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2018, 04:55:33 AM »
Expensive hobby? Hardly.  One and done, for the most part.  If you want expensive, try radio control planes or boats.  :)

Radio controlled planes and boats? Try circle track and drag racing lol

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »
Radio controlled planes and boats? Try circle track and drag racing lol

<=== You can say that again!  :lol:

Wanna know how to make a small fortune in racing?  Start out with a large fortune.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Parke10

« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2018, 02:23:32 AM »

<=== You can say that again!  :lol:

Wanna know how to make a small fortune in racing?  Start out with a large fortune.....
Yup!hahaha
Looks like an Audi TT on a road course?

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »
<snip>
It would be in your best interest to keep the rain gauge and temperature units (ISS) in your yard if possible. I am speaking from experience here I don't know how many times a bird has left a calling card in my rain gauge which plugs it up. The bird droppings also eat into the plastic if left for several days. I am on my second rain bucket.  :-(<snip>

One thing about the current production of the VP2s is the newer rain bucket.  I've had the hour-glass shaped one with the bird spikes up for a few months now and haven't had the first problem with it being clogged with bird gifts.  I've been *very* pleased with that design.  So, other than not being optimal for rain collection a higher installation of the ISS may not cause much of a problem with the rain gauge clogging.  Temperature and humidity measurements, along with rain measurements may be affected though.

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
How does one heat that new bucket design?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »

Put the old bucket back on.  Seriously, that's Davis' answer for heating the new aero-cone setup.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline zackdog

• Forecaster
    • Winter Park Highlands Web cams
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »
Based on my experience, I would not bother with a heater.  Just my .02.

Since October 1, 2017 with Heater on 24/7.   Davis rain collector 3.43"  CoCoRaHS  7.57"   Granted, siting is different for the two, but not that bad.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 09:35:46 AM by zackdog »
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." - Dylan

Vantage Pro2 Plus w/ 24 hr FARS and (2) VantageVues

VP2 uploading via Vue console to CWOP, WU, PWS, and Weathercloud.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »
Heater  for  SWE.  A plastic gauge would likely overflow with some of the stores we get here.  Plus it requires manual reading.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2018, 09:48:17 AM »

Put the old bucket back on.  Seriously, that's Davis' answer for heating the new aero-cone setup.....

Oh yeah - the old "That's not a bug - it is an undocumented feature".  More proof that Davis has lost touch.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
Based on my experience, I would not bother with a heater.  Just my .02.

Since October 1, 2017 with Heater on 24/7.   Davis rain collector 3.43"  CoCoRaHS  7.57"   Granted, siting is different for the two, but not that bad.

Mark

I've been down on heaters also... Not just the Davis bucket but Texas Electronics too.  But I've had 2 recent snows where temperatures were just below freezing 28-31° range and the tipping bucket actually matched the manual Cocorahs.
Where they won't match are cold dry storms where lots of evaporation occurs prior to filling tipper. Unfortunately most of our snows upper plains are of that variety where snowfall occurs between -10 and 15°F. The warmer snows recently came in March and have been rare since moving here 4 winters ago... So for some I can see where the heated tipping bucket could work.
Randy

anything