Author Topic: Weather Webcams not accepting pictures ?  (Read 16868 times)

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
Re: Weather Webcams not accepting pictures ?
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2017, 10:20:32 AM »
Mine still are not showing up on the map.  The do continue to upload to the ftp site, and are being accepted.

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
Mine still down but the ftp server is accepting it, WU still says no not active.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2017, 11:02:02 AM »
I have three cameras.  Two are bloomsky . of the three, two report images.  One is a bloomsky and the other blooms sky it says on the webcam page that it isn't active. Yet it shows that Bloomsky is sending data.  So I don't know what the problem is, here.  both are associated with stations . the stations are sending data so that is good, but still one wonders what the problem is with their image servers?

Offline Jjm457

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2017, 11:05:24 AM »
Mine says active, I guess there's still a problem on their end.  But why does it say active, I haven't changed anything?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2017, 11:10:32 AM »
Mine says active, I guess there's still a problem on their end.  But why does it say active, I haven't changed anything?

I have one that says not active.  I did set one of my weather station programs to upload an image to that inactive station, to check if it were my camera.  It returned with errors so something is awry with the camera itself.   it is on their end.

The reason I use them is two fold, one is for the weather conditions here in Dead Moanes, Iowa   The second is that my web cam sends pictures to their site.  I then link my website for an embedded image.  The camera sends the name of the camera plus date, sequence and all that and it is impossible to use those directly. I have a foscam. So linking that way is great.

OK 3 fold,  I have two bloomsky cameras, and I can only post sky pictures because they send images to WU in a similar fashion.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 06:45:37 PM by Aardvark »

Offline Bassmo

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »
My webcam upload is down again, it stopped working 3 hours ago

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2017, 05:02:24 PM »
Mine too. I’ve officially given up on WU. Should have a long time ago and saved myself some of all of this frustration. It’s too bad they’ve had so many issues lately, because their site and options for PWS and webcam uploads was so good in the past. It’s slowly been falling apart for sure!
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
I just went out to look at the weather for tomorrow, and found my cams are now both up and working.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
mine came up as well.   I saw your post and checked it.

I do need to find a better camera that i can send an image directly to my webpage and bypass all the nonsense I am using.  I have foscam, I have seen D-link and it is about the same.    I checked on the Arlo.com, but their unit only is wifi based, a home security thing.  So ,  hey this works for noow.

Offline gellenb

• Weather Page
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2017, 07:22:04 AM »
Got too excited.  Saturday 13:06 all is not well again.  Cams updating, but not showing up on WU. :-(

Offline Stratocaster

• WU Station ID INEWPROV18
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »
Got too excited.  Saturday 13:06 all is not well again.  Cams updating, but not showing up on WU. :-(

Here we go again - my last shot displayed was 13:08  ](*,)
Mike
WU Station ID INEWPROV18
Nassau, Bahamas

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2017, 08:52:59 AM »
Yea, me too. A few weeks ago I switched my cam from FTP method, which had stopped working around the time of the Irma approach, to URL. The URL method worked, kinda, for a few days, but would have 8 hour gaps in the WU download frequency sometimes. At this point, neither is reliable at all, and I have wasted many hours messing with it

This weather thing is a hobby and all, but my station has garnered a fair local following, and I am very diligent about keeping it accurate and operable. It is embarrassing when it periodically goes down because of WU's lackadaisical attitude.

Over the last year or so, Weather Underground has demonstrated that they couldn't care less if their stuff works or not (remember when WunderMap blew up and stayed useless for months?). Not a good attitude for a business whose main standout feature is the granularity of their data, data they get for FREE from their dedicated crowd of users. All they need to do is keep those users marginally happy with the benefits of their association with WU. Apparently their definition of "marginally" and mine differ considerably. In my case, I've about had it with these amateurs.

So who else is out there that provides similar functionality?  I want to ditch WU.  My current station is an Accurite 5 in 1 with a bridge, but I can skim the data and send it pretty much anywhere.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:09:06 AM by CBXSteve »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2017, 09:49:11 AM »
I am guessing it is their servers. I have two Bloomsky and one Foscam. One of the Bloomsky hasn't updated since yesterday afternoon.  The other two are fine.  I am guessing that the two that are , are going to a different server and the other  is on the one that keeps crashing.   

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
I am guessing it is their servers.

Agreed. Stuff like this drives me nuts.  My main job for 26 years was maintaining a very large automation system with tens of thousands of inputs updating every few seconds. Without much effort, I achieved only 92 minutes of downtime over a span of 21 years. I hope it's the people at corporate that are responsible for this, but whether it's them and their purse-strings, or the troops programming and maintaining the servers, it is inexcusable.

Ok, rant finished.  :oops:

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
I have completely given up on WU webcams.  Either they don't accept my weather pic  or the uploads/FTP fails.  I now use a sub-domain to display the webcam.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherNC

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2017, 12:07:52 PM »
How can I use a sub domain to display my webcam?  I dont have a web page to pull a URL from.  Since FTP isnt working, wondering if I go URL if it will work? :roll:

Thanks

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »
Do you have webspace as part of your Internet account?  Do you have a domain?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline jpk1018

• Senior Contributor
  • http://www.madrussianweather.com/#
    • Mad Russian
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2017, 03:59:33 PM »
Mine was working but now it's back to the SOS.

Offline Bassmo

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2017, 03:57:04 AM »
My webcam is still down, it has been down for a couple of whole days now.
The FTP log is OK, the image gets uploaded correctly but it doesn't show up.
Does anybody know if the other method (the one in which WU retrieves the image from an URL) is working?

Offline woodisgood

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
I manage two weather stations, both with webcams. Both cams have been down for several days. FTP logs are fine. Servers at WU must be having issues.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2017, 09:38:01 AM »
I will send an email to Dr. Hansen again . Seems when I do that, then things get done.  Sheesh..  I would think that with an company as big as they are and what they do, someone would be checking their servers daily and fixing it as it crashes. but then again...   The server farm out at Facebook in Iowa only employs 150 people tops.

Offline Molyvos Weather Station

• From Molyvos Weather Station
    • Molyvos Weather Station
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2017, 05:13:04 PM »
Does anybody know if the other method (the one in which WU retrieves the image from an URL) is working?

The URL method is working most of the time for me, but ftp still not working (my logs all show no upload problems).

Very frustrating.
Molyvos Weather Station

Our Webcam

Offline Bassmo

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2017, 06:19:38 AM »
Some images from my Webcam have showed up but now again it is down (last image 8 hours ago)

Offline rdm362

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »
Some images from my Webcam have showed up but now again it is down (last image 8 hours ago)
Got 1 from my camera an hour ago. Nothing since

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
my cam has been down 9 days this month.   Most cameras in my area have had same outage. I feel kinda suckered after running cable, mounting camera
setting up software etc. 
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs