Author Topic: VP2 Setup - what am I missing?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
VP2 Setup - what am I missing?
« on: August 12, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
Hey guys,

Finally decided I'm going to buy a Davis. I've been at this hobby for years using all-in-one personal weather stations that offer turnkey solutions for uploading to WU. Tired of the inaccuracies though.  I want to get a VP2 with 24 hour FARS and use the most economical setup in order to post to WU.  I don't need a physical console and I don't want to run a computer 24/7. Would probably buy from scaled instruments as they list the discounted prices on their website. Here is what I am thinking:

- VP2 ISS with FARS ($398)
- Davis Weather Envoy ($122)
- Belfryboy logger (~$70)
- Router flashed with Meteobridge ($30 for router $70 for license)

Am I missing anything? Is there a cheaper solution for my needs?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:41:28 PM by dport »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: VP2 Setup - what am I missing?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
Rather than the Meteobridge box, you could go with a Raspberry Pi ($30) and weewx (free).  There will be a maintenance charge for the MB box after the first two years, FYI.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 07:39:24 PM »
.... There will be a maintenance charge for the MB box after the first two years, FYI.

Now this needs to be set right, there is no maintenance charge (as such) there is an optional cost beyond the 2 years of free support and updates if and only if the user decides to extend the support etc. Entirely optional and the MB will work forever as it was purchased and any of the optional updates the user may have decided to install within the first 2 years.     

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »
Hey guys,

Finally decided I'm going to buy a Davis. I've been at this hobby for years using all-in-one personal weather stations that offer turnkey solutions for uploading to WU. Tired of the inaccuracies though.  I want to get a VP2 with 24 hour FARS and use the most economical setup in order to post to WU.  I don't need a physical console and I don't want to run a computer 24/7. Would probably buy from scaled instruments as they list the discounted prices on their website. Here is what I am thinking:

What is the cost of an MBPro (red) at your location? Would it be around or less than $300 and you could do away with the Envoy, Logger flashed MB

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:22:58 PM »
.... There will be a maintenance charge for the MB box after the first two years, FYI.

Now this needs to be set right, there is no maintenance charge (as such) there is an optional cost beyond the 2 years of free support and updates if and only if the user decides to extend the support etc. Entirely optional and the MB will work forever as it was purchased and any of the optional updates the user may have decided to install within the first 2 years.     

Except that after two years, if it stops, there are NO bug fixes.  Call it "maintenance"; "upgrade"; or "whatever".  Boris changed the rules on the fly for existing users so new users should be aware that if something stops  working there is no fix unless they pay.  Full stop.  (For the record, I have two MBs and I love them.  And they continue to work as when I bought them.  But when I bought them there was no  [post-2 yr charge and as long as they continue to work, I'll keep using them.  But I'm working on a MB-clone just to be safe.  Hitching one's wagon to the only horse in town is not a great idea IMHO.  BTDT.)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 08:27:26 PM »
Hey guys,

What is the cost of an MBPro (red) at your location? Would it be around or less than $300 and you could do away with the Envoy, Logger flashed MB

You mean $425 plus shipping/tax/duty etc.  http://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridgepro.html

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 08:58:58 PM »

Except that after two years, if it stops, there are NO bug fixes.  Call it "maintenance"; "upgrade"; or "whatever".  Boris changed the rules on the fly for existing users so new users should be aware that if something stops  working there is no fix unless they pay.  Full stop.  (For the record, I have two MBs and I love them.  And they continue to work as when I bought them.  But when I bought them there was no  [post-2 yr charge and as long as they continue to work, I'll keep using them.  But I'm working on a MB-clone just to be safe.  Hitching one's wagon to the only horse in town is not a great idea IMHO.  BTDT.)

If any bugs aren't worked out on the version purchased after 2 years which prevents it working then you certainly have hitched the wrong horse.

And yes new users should definitely be made aware of the purchase conditions, all of the purchase conditions and not some selective version   

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
Hey guys,

You mean $425 plus shipping/tax/duty etc.  http://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridgepro.html

Yep just asking the question, nothing ventured, nothing gained

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:25:13 PM »
Thanks guys. Yes, MBpro would be an ideal consolidated solution, but $425 is quite steep. Will have to look into raspberry pi.

Offline danb35

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 04:01:04 PM »
Will have to look into raspberry pi.
I've been running a Raspberry Pi with WeeWX for about two years now, and it works quite well--though the setup will likely be more challenging than the Meteobridge if you aren't already familiar with the Linux command line.