Author Topic: 6153  (Read 1743 times)

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:47:31 PM »
I have settled on and ready to pull the trigger on the Davis Model 6153. I need to know what would be a good 3rd party solution for a Wireless Bridge to capture the Data from the ISS and feed it to the Router ( needs to spit out the Data as fast as it is being fed). I'm guessing I'll have to at least purchase the W/L with USB to connect the Davis Console to the computer. I'm also looking at the Cumulus or Weather Display Weather Station software for the computer. I'm pretty good with Computer Hardware but coding or scripting, I'm pretty crappy at that, I've not written code since my Tandy CoCo3 days. I need this to be seamless and painless as possible. Any help, suggestions or opinions is much appreciated.

CoCoRaHS: NC-JH-80

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: 6153
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:16:57 PM »
I have settled on and ready to pull the trigger on the Davis Model 6153. I need to know what would be a good 3rd party solution for a Wireless Bridge to capture the Data from the ISS and feed it to the Router ( needs to spit out the Data as fast as it is being fed). I'm guessing I'll have to at least purchase the W/L with USB to connect the Davis Console to the computer. ....

First, what are you going to do with the raw "data from the ISS"?  And were is it going from the router?

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:23:07 PM »
Data going to WU and CWOP

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »

Oh, then you need the data from

software
that is running on the
computer
that is connected to the
console.

....and isn't the computer already connected to the router?

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »

Oh, then you need the data from

software
that is running on the
computer
that is connected to the
console.

....and isn't the computer already connected to the router?
Yes, computer is connected to Wireless Router via ethernet cable. I'm looking for a Bridge IP that can decode the ISS and send to WU, CWOP and not Run the computer 24/7 and I also want to run a Weather Station Console Software on the computer that was not developed when I was 30( I'm three weeks from 60), Computer interfaced to Davis console.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 11:55:13 PM »
I'm looking for a Bridge IP that can decode the ISS and send to WU, CWOP and not Run the computer 24/7

The only commercially-available device that can "decode the ISS" is the Davis console.  It will also provide barometric pressure to send to WU, etc.  The easiest interface between the console and WU and CWOP is the WeatherLinkIP.  There are others.

... and I also want to run a Weather Station Console Software on the computer that was not developed when I was 30( I'm three weeks from 60), Computer interfaced to Davis console.

OK.  You'll get lots of suggestions here.  Just be sure the software works with the console interface you get.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:37:53 AM »
I'm looking for a Bridge IP that can decode the ISS and send to WU, CWOP and not Run the computer 24/7

The only commercially-available device that can "decode the ISS" is the Davis console.

Not so. Meteobridge Pro (red) works standalone with any Davis ISS or secondary station, no console required. 

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »
Would definitely recommend Weather Display if you are looking for a very customisable package.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 10:25:07 AM »
Not so. Meteobridge Pro (red) works standalone with any Davis ISS or secondary station, no console required.

My apologies, and thanks for the correction.

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 11:50:55 AM »
I was thinking about the WeatherBridge Pro http://www.ambientweather.com/amweatherbridgepro.html#caption Will this also send Data to Weather Display?

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 01:01:37 AM »
I too suggest Weather Display, it will have everything you need and more, great support too
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »
Well, the 6153 was ordered from SI ( It was a pleasure talking to Ryan ). I'm still not sure which route to take, WL IP with WD/ Cumulus or WL USB/ Metebridge with WD/ Cumulus.

On a side note, can the ISS be Mounted on a 4X4 or is a metal post the preferred method as I want to mount the ISS and the CoCoRaHS to the same 4X4 and at the same level.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 08:53:24 PM »
.... On a side note, can the ISS be Mounted on a 4X4 or is a metal post the preferred method as I want to mount the ISS and the CoCoRaHS to the same 4X4 and at the same level.

Wood, metal post, material is not critical as long as it is rigid and solid it's good

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 08:22:47 AM »
Here's as vote for Cumulus. Been using it for a while and it just works. Only 1 glitch in several years of service. It's donationware so sending the  developer something is always appreciated.
Weather Display is also very good software. I view it as weather software on steroids. It has everything you want and then some. It was kind of information overload for me as I wanted something more basic but it is rock solid software with a developer who is very hands on. There is a 30 day trial period to check it out.
Virtual Weather Station is another software. Very customizable in that you can set it up any way you want. Meaning you can place your wind gauge, temperature gauge, etc where you want on the screen. It's very visually appealing and it works great too. I used it for about a year but eventually went back to Cumulus. It also has a 30 day trial period.
Then there is Weatherlink which comes with your station because you are ordering the data logger. It's very retro looking. It hasn't been upgraded in a while. You would think Davis would give it an update but I guess since they are in the hardware business as opposed to software it's not real high on their list. I actually used this software longer then any other but just too many glitches over time just pushed me away. I still think it has the best graphs of any software out there. In fact once a month I open it up and download everything so I can view the graphs. Then I go back to Cumulus.
Below is a pick of my ISS on a 4X4. This is an older pic but the COCO gauge is mounted directly behind it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 08:29:02 AM by ocala »

Offline benay ra'am

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 08:03:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply ocala. I'm going for the WL IP and then add the Meteobridge later, I'll try Cumulus first and if I like it, I'll throw some Bucks to Cumulus, If I don't like it, I'll try the WD. As for WL, retro does not bother me after looking at some sample pics of WL. It sure does remind me of windoze 3.11/ 95 LoL!
I ordered the Davis on the 12th even tho Ryan was sold out but Ryan took my order anyway and he should have received his stock today and tomorrow he'll ship mine out.

I settled on my final configuration, 1-1/4" X 20' Galvanized Pole with a TEE at the top with the Davis Anemometer at one end and my Acurite 5-in-1 at the other. Yes I'll have Guy Lines to help steady the Pole.

anything