Author Topic: WU website down  (Read 5025 times)

Offline bob1955texas

• KTXKILLE20/EW9777
  • Wunderground KTXKILLE20 (Davis Vantage Vue)
    • WeatherLink.com
WU website down
« on: June 24, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
WU is down again, and, as usual, it is the weekend. Has been down for the last 3 hours for me. Am I the only one having this problem?  #-o

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
  • Qui trop écoute la météo, passe sa vie au bistrot.
    • meteokerbach
Re: WU website down
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
HI,
 no you are not the only one !!!!!
It is down for me also since 2 hours !!!!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:29:21 PM »
Surprise, surprise....

Im dead serious when I say that I would be much happier if that page was completely shut down because it would save many people a lot of trouble, like this they sometimes rely on it or try to use it... and trust me, if you were a developer like me you would hate it even more.

Offline Jack Bowman

• Forecaster
  • Ambient Weather WS-2000
    • KCOFORTC421 - Hanna Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »
Yup! Deader than a doornail. Frustrating to say the least! API is not working either. #-o 

Edit: Oh look at that my sticker is still working.
Ambient Weather WS-2000 Weather Station

Home Weather Server:
http://kcofortc421.dynu.net/WD/wx.html

Weather Underground Link:
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCOFORTC421

PWS Weather Link:
https://www.pwsweather.com/obs/KCOFORTC421.html

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
Surprise, surprise....

Im dead serious when I say that I would be much happier if that page was completely shut down because it would save many people a lot of trouble, like this they sometimes rely on it or try to use it... and trust me, if you were a developer like me you would hate it even more.
Now, Jachym... be careful when you speak the truth... you'll wind up on the WunderWeenies Bashing List like I am....  there are those who are going to live and die with WunderWeenies tattooed on their

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 02:55:08 PM »
Surprise, surprise....

for some of us it is the only way to put the data on line Jachym

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
I disagree Gilles, thats exactly the problem.

WU is unreliable, support is appalling and it is overall very slow. And if it did not exist then obviously the manufacturers of weather stations would find different ways or networks. Until WU will exist, they will use it.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
Surprise, surprise....

Excuse me... then where does this http://www.meteokerbach.fr/pws/template/indexDesktop.php originate? Are you saying you upload
to WunderWeenies, then Download WU to your website? ... Duh... think about that a moment...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:04:36 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »
Surprise, surprise....

Now, Jachym... be careful when you speak the truth... you'll wind up on the WunderWeenies Bashing List like I am....  there are those who are going to live and die with WunderWeenies tattooed on their

This is just the way I am :D Im always absolutely honest and I always say what I think. Whether this is a good thing... sometimes yes, sometimes no, I did have arguments with people because of this, but telling something is great and then as soon as the person is gone just bitch about it is not in my nature.

So when I think WU is total *, I will say it.

WU is total * :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 03:03:33 PM »
Surprise, surprise....

Excuse me... then where does this http://www.meteokerbach.fr/pws/template/indexDesktop.php originate?

WU... unfortunately.... I did allow this as the very last option if it is absolutely not possible to use any other type of updates. Some stations really send data only to WU and it is not possible to set the files being sent to your own server or anywhere else, in which case my template loads data directly from the WU XML feed.

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 03:04:06 PM »
you are right Jachym  But now that I bought my PWS, and not being a master in coding this is my only solution.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »
I know Gilles, Im just saying that if there was no WU, everyone would know it, no-one would rely on it or expect it to work. Until it exists, people will still try to use it, think that it provides accurate data (which it of course does not, eg. the way they calculate average temperature is totally wrong) and developers will have to use absolutely inconsistent, unreliable API. If it did not exist, everyone would find an alternative, even the manufacturer of your PWS.

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
I agree Jachym; bad luck for me

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
Well it looks like the links to the individual stations is what's not working, i have full screen map saved and when i go to it my site info is current on the info box that pops up so wu is getting the data ok.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »
Yes, though as I said previously, in this case you cannot blame people like Gilles at all, who is to blame is WU and some manufacturers, who just provide updates to WU as the only means of sending data to the world from the station....

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
you are right Jachym  But now that I bought my PWS, and not being a master in coding this is my only solution.

Most of us were NOT masters in 'coding' when we began... still aren't.... but we learned!
....and a large part of that 'learning' had to do with '''hmmm something isn't right..."  AH... I can fix it!
No waiting around for Third Parties who don't have the Investment, or Interest that I have....
... yeah, that took our PWS out of the "plug'n'play' category, and made us responsible 'Citizen Scientists'
... yep... became a bit dependent on folks like Jachym and Ken (Curly, others) who were clever enough
to provide us templates and coding to build OUR Weather Data Sites around... but by golly it's OURS.

I think I am a responsible citizen even if I use the Jachym template. And even if I ask for help

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 03:24:43 PM »

Most of us were NOT masters in 'coding' when we began... still aren't.... but we learned!
....and a large part of that 'learning' had to do with '''hmmm something isn't right..."  AH... I can fix it!
No waiting around for Third Parties who don't have the Investment, or Interest that I have....
... yeah, that took our PWS out of the "plug'n'play' category, and made us responsible 'Citizen Scientists'
... yep... became a bit dependent on folks like Jachym and Ken (Curly, others) who were clever enough
to provide us templates and coding to build OUR Weather Data Sites around... but by golly it's OURS.

Furthermore, WU may change, forget about the little guy, make bad decisions...
This is where folks like you come in...
WU dropped Weather Radio...
We Didn't appreciate that.
We started collecting and encouraging streams...
http://noaaweatherradio.org/
Folks like YOU have now accumulated and provide over 162 listed audio streams...
More than Wunderweenies ever had listed.
Their next 'purge' is likely to be weather cams... get ready folks, that may be our next major project!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 03:32:20 PM »
100% agreed, but there really are stations, which support only sending data to WU, not allowing you to send data to your own FTP, which are not compatible with Meteobridge and which thus can only be used via WU if these people want to use whichever template available. This is of course a very undesirable thing, but in this case it is just the manufacturer who is to blame. In the end, Davis does the same thing, they allow you to send data to WU and WL, but not your own server, unless you buy additional devices such as MB. I personally dont like companies which use these proprietary services only (eg. to a certain extent Apple, using proprietary connectors, forcing you to buy only Apple accessories etc....) and fortunately the trend now is towards open-source, standardization etc. But not all implemented this already or plan implementing it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:34:24 PM by Jáchym »

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 03:33:23 PM »

I think I am a responsible citizen even if I use the Jachym template. And even if I ask for help
Didn't mean to imply that anyone with guts enough to provide weather data wasn't
"responsible".... all I meant was "Take Ownership".... don't rely on some third or fourth party
whose sole motive is to sell your product to somebody else!

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 03:36:06 PM »
Bad luck for the little guys who make a bad decision as Cutty Sark Sailor says so well
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:42:45 PM by gillesroszak »

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 03:44:46 PM »
There's certainly something going on at WU today. My guess is a major rework of the website. I occasionally get a whole new look for the main page.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »
There's certainly something going on at WU today. My guess is a major rework of the website. I occasionally get a whole new look for the main page.
Another option is pwsweather.com.
Looks like your location is France. Many stations using it. Give it a try.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2017, 03:59:03 PM »
Bad luck for the little guys who make a bad decision as Cutty Sark Sailor says so well
You've NOT made a bad decision!  You're on your way!  You've started just as I and many others
started.... just sending data to someplace is a BIG DEAL!  Think about it!  Wow... that's ME and MY Product
showing there on that webpage!....'
Then, later down the road, you realize you have ZERO control or ownership of your data....
Why in the world would folks upload to a commercial server, then access their own data
from that server,  to display on Their Webpage????  I'm sorry I just don't get it.... My data
goes to My website, and if WU or anyone else wants to Scrape and Steal it, that's a different issue.
http://frankfortweather.us/wxabout.php
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:02:34 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline gillesroszak

• Contributor
    • meteokerbach
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
You've NOT made a bad decision!

I know that, it's you who said it

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »
You've NOT made a bad decision!

I know that, it's you who said it
I beg your pardon... when and where did I say that?

anything