Author Topic: WS-1400-IP Out of Stock - New Upgrade / Model Version Coming?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
I notice the WS-1400-IP is now out-of-stock on the Ambient Weather Site (amazon still has them).  This led me to wonder if, like the IP camera,  is there an update coming? 

I wrote Ambient Weather and asked and got a simple response.  Yes!  in 2 months. 

I was going to purchase a 2nd WS-1400-IP ... but now wonder ...
1. should I wait? 
2. what might the upgrades be?  better sensors?  improved radiation temp shield? 
3. will ambient be releasing a sensor array to compete with the upcoming AcuRite Atlas series?

I more or less like my 1400 ISS but ... that AcuRite Elite with Lightening etc looks very interesting. 

Anyone heard anymore about the improvements (if any to Ambient Weathers ISS models)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: WS-1400-IP Out of Stock - New Upgrade / Model Version Coming?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 08:18:02 AM »
You can visit fine offset site to see what they have. This is likely where the hardware will come from.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
Or search the FCC site - they have to list test results before releasing anything stateside.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »
I'm not seeing anything unique at fine offset, but ambient's response to me made me wonder if they were too were not cooking up some response to the new Atlas series yet to be released.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:21 AM »
Ambient's products might not be the best, but their CS gas been excellent. It would be nice to have their CS with a great product.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »
Great news regarding the new product coming out in 2 months.  Thanks for the info.  Looks like we'll have a fun fall researching/reviewing/purchasing new stations from Ambient, Acurite, and Weather Flow (I'm skeptical on Weather Flow though).

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:16:05 AM »
Well the old stock is now completely sold out on amazon. Yesterday afternoon they had 4 and were sold out by 9pm est. Ebay sellers prices immediately went from $189 to over $200

Offline annetoal

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »
The latest firmware version has provisions for a WS-1600-IP. Your post makes me think this is the model number of the 1400's replacement.

Anne

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Back in Feb. or March of this year I was ready to buy an Ambient WS-1001. At that time, both the Ambient store and Amazon listed this model as "Not in stock" with no indication about when or if it would be available again. 2 or 3 weeks later, both vendors had it back in stock. But by then, I had decided to wait and see how the Acurite Atlas Elite will shake out (and still waiting on that). But my point is that just because the 1400 is currently not in stock doesn't necessarily mean it is discontinued. Time will tell I guess.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 10:46:24 PM »
I am not going on stock quantities. It may not be being discontinued. But When I wrote ambient, they said, like the out of stock IP cam, an update was coming to the 1400

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 08:45:15 PM »
OK, here is something that may be related ... or maybe not. I have been watching the WS-1001-Wifi Observer which (I think) uses the same array as the 1400-IP. Now when I Google "WS-1001-WiFi Observer" and click on the first link (which is Ambient's online store), it takes me to a page that is titled "Ambient Weather WS-1002-WIFI OBSERVER Solar Powered Wireless WiFi Remote Monitoring Weather Station". It is also listed as out of stock, but I am curious about the 1002 model designation? I have already admitted that I am a newbie, but I can't find any information about a 1002 model. Is there or was there ever a 1002 model, or is this the expected new offering from Ambient? Or maybe just a typo on their website?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:50:35 PM by alanb »

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 05:27:45 PM »
New Firmware for the Observer IP is out ... v4.1.4 ... from the site revision history:

"Now supports WS-1600-IP weather station."
http://www.ambientweather.com/wswsfiup.html

I cannot find a WS-1600-IP.  Is this an older model?  Or is this something New from AW? 

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 10:35:40 AM »
The WS-1002-WiFi Observer is now listed as "In Stock" for $289. From the description and pictures, I don't see how it is different from the previous 1001 model.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Connection to IFTTT looks to be the difference. I could be wrong though.

Offline MrM1

• North Central Florida
  • Contributor
    • Bethel Weather
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 12:25:57 PM »
But is the WS-1600-IP something new?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2017, 01:36:44 PM »
Connection to IFTTT looks to be the difference. I could be wrong though.

Also it sends to Ambient wx network.

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 11:31:11 AM »
My adult daughter's Ambient WS-1400-IP became a victim of a near-by lightning strike a bit over a week ago.  Not a direct hit, but it killed the transmitter section on the sensor array.  With Ambient's out-of-stock situation on the replacement sensor array and the previous release of the WS-2902 station (Fine Offset WH-2900), I already figured that a replacement to the 7in1 sensor stack was at hand.  I liked what I saw in the WS-2902 sensor package (ie the offset of the sensors from one another and the larger anemometer) and the price was nice.  On the Fine Offset page, I noted that Fine Offset also offered a version of the Osprey sensor package WITHOUT the display using what Ambient sells as the ObserverIP, which my daughter already owned from the WS-1400-IP.  FYI we also have a Meteobridge server between the ObserverIP and the internet so as to serve more than just WU and Ambient's site.

So, we made a decision to gamble a bit by ordering the Ambient WS-2902 station in hopes that it would communicate with her existing ObserverIP.  Worst case, the WS-2902 had the ability to send out via WiFi to several hosting sites from its display. 

While the WS-2902 sensor array is all plastic, it is nicely executed and an improvement over the older 5in1 array.  On power, it immediately connected to the ObserverIP and I thought all was well, until I discovered NO anemometer readings.  I rebooted the sensor stack, and the ObserverIP but same, no anemometer, situation.  As the anemometer WAS reporting to the supplied display unit, I knew it was not the anemometer itself.  FYI, I was running firmware 4.1.9 on the ObserverIP which had been the latest only a few days ago.  On a lark, I checked Ambient's site and discovered version 4.2 firmware for the ObserverIP had been released with a number of bug fixes, so it was worth a try.  Not sure exactly what was fixed, but with version 4.2 installed and set to WS-1400-IP as the station type, ALL the readings went LIVE!  I did discover that the anemometer on the WS-2902 is a 2 pulse / rev vs the older sensor stack's 1 pulse / rev, but that was easily corrected in the ObserverIP calibration (ie factor set to .5).  We had never been totally happy with the wind vane and anemometer setup on the WS-1400 sensor stack as the anemometer reacted poorly at low wind speeds and it influenced the wind vane as it spun.  The WS-2902 obviously corrected the wind vane issue and I have found that it is WAY more damped than the old wind vane (ie less perturbed by minute variations in wind direction especially at low wind speeds).  The WS-2902 anemometer is WAY more sensitive to low wind speeds properly registering even well below 1MPH where the old WS-1400 stack would just stop at around 3-4MPH. 

Really happy with the WS-2902 and glad I played my hunch that the ObserverIP would properly receive the sensor signals.  This also gave my daughter a nice color display for only $20 more than Ambient wanted for the replacement sensor array for the WS-1400!

I have to admit, the AcuRite Atlas Elite had it been shipping would have been a temptation, but AcuRite's older 5in1 system certainly does not inspire confidence, based on user feedback that the Elite will not have issues. It is obvious that they are aiming at the Davis Vantage Pro2 and I would assume at a lower price point.  However, should the Elite live up to expectations, it may well be the unit to own!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:37:24 PM by dtidmore »

Offline railrode1

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 08:35:46 AM »
I'm wondering if the WS2902 would also communicate With the ws1001 base. I like this sensor design better.
Davis Vantage Pro2 + Wireless

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »
As to whether ANY display unit other than the one that was intentioned for the WS-2902 would function properly is questionable.  Yes, I was successful in getting the ObserverIP to detect and decode the Osprey unit BUT the ObserverIP firmware, set for WS-1400-IP, prior to the 4.2 (ie the VERY latest) would NOT decode the anemometer (ie NO readings). 

The display unit for the WS-1001 will likely NEVER be used with the Osprey head (not even Fine Offset shows such).  Switching to the Osprey outdoor unit is something of a gamble.  Based on what I encountered, the anemometer will likely be the troublesome area for your existing display.

The WS-2902 comes with its own display unit that can be setup to send to WU and Ambient Weather via WiFI (if you desire), so you do wind up with a nice display regardless.  As I had the ObserverIP to feed my Meteobridge I did NOT bother with the WS-2902's WiFi feature.

BTW, a little bird has confirmed that the mystery WS-1600-IP IS the same as the WS-1400-IP but with the Osprey outdoor unit and I have since changed my ObserverIP station model to WS-1600-IP.  This switch eliminated the need for a wind speed calibration offset that I had to enter while using WS-1400-IP as my station model.

With several days operation, I am delighted with the Osprey.  The wind vane is WAY more stable and better dampened. The anemometer will start up at well below 1MPH as compared to the older unit's 3-4MPH stall speed.  I am finding the humidity sensor to be more accurate than the old unit as well.  I do like the removable rain funnel (ie cleaning without removing screws).  I added a perimeter of 3" long stainless pins (plastic heads removed) around the funnel unit to discourage birds perching.  May have to do the same on the wind vane centerpoint, the anemometer centerpoint and along the arms if I see birds attempting to perch.  The funnel is the biggest potential so that is why I started there.  BTW, I did this same mod to the older unit being inspired by the latest Davis Vantage PRO2 rain funnel design.

Be aware that the Osprey does NOT use rechargeable batteries but rather non-rechargeable AAs to maintain output after sunset and they recommend lithium.  Life expectancy is stated as 1-2 years so assuming that pans out to be accurate, this is NOT an issue as I would be pulling the unit to clean the rain cup and the solar panel at least yearly so that would be the time to replace the nighttime support batteries.  If I find that the batteries are short lived, my plans are to run a pair of wires from the unit's battery connections (it is mounted on a pole about 14ft tall) down to a point where I will install a weatherproof AA battery case so that I can easily replace the batteries.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Can you comment on the temperature accuracy as compared with the ws-1400?  The osprey at $120 looks like a steal, especially if they are migrating towards replacing the 1400 outdoor unit with the 1600/osprey.  I've always had abnormal temp spikes in the sun with my 1400 (as most on this forum are aware of :)

Offline dtidmore

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
Can you comment on the temperature accuracy as compared with the ws-1400?  The osprey at $120 looks like a steal, especially if they are migrating towards replacing the 1400 outdoor unit with the 1600/osprey.  I've always had abnormal temp spikes in the sun with my 1400 (as most on this forum are aware of :)

Thus far NO temp spikes and this unit is out in the direct Texas sun with NO trees or structures to shade or moderate the temps.  It is tracking within a fraction of degree of the CWOPs analysis curve, so I am happy.  I am still tweeting the calibration settings to nail it like I had on the older unit. 

I will post more as I gain more experience with the unit. 

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 10:46:30 PM »

Thus far NO temp spikes and this unit is out in the direct Texas sun with NO trees or structures to shade or moderate the temps.  It is tracking within a fraction of degree of the CWOPs analysis curve, so I am happy.  I am still tweeting the calibration settings to nail it like I had on the older unit. 

I will post more as I gain more experience with the unit.

Wow that's great. I have major issues between 4 PM and 6 PM when the sun comes in at a horizontal angle to the radiation shield on the 1400.  It's a solid 5 or so degrees above other stations. I'll keep an eye on the osprey. Certainly keep us posted!

anything