Author Topic: Effective humidity case / enclosure  (Read 1278 times)

Offline jgveill

Effective humidity case / enclosure
« on: May 27, 2017, 02:34:18 PM »
Hello,

I built an arduino Weather Station with I2C humdity, temp and pressure sensors but protecting sensors and getting real data is a real challenge. I built a stevenson shield with melamine bowls but ... when space between bowls is large enough to avoid temp bump in sunny days, rain and snow get to the sensors. When space is smaller, temp gets a 4-5 oC increase way to often.  I even tried large spacings with pantyhose covering the bowls, but again, way too much temp increase in sunny and not windy days.

By searching the web I could see I was not the only one looking for an easy and effective way to protect sensors. I finally found ! Look at that :

https://fr.aliexpress.com/store/product/SHT10-SHT11-SHT15-waterproof-sensor-case-temperature-and-humidity-protective-cover-soil-sensor-cover-40mm-15mm/915786_32575966509.html?spm=2114.12010615.0.0.tLDgjB

Specially made to protect sensors against water ! The model shown in this link is too small for I2C boards, but seller has much larger models. L-04 has 12.8mm opening, L-06 has 17 mm and L-10 has 23mm opening. That's more than enough to fit 2-3 sensors. With this, we just need a sun shield. Two vertical coaxial tubes should be perfect as sensor protection should not be a problem.

As writing this, you will not be able to find on-line, all models shown in the attachment, just specify your needs to the seller, he answers really rapidly.  I imagine, he will rapidly update his only store to show what we need for I2C boards.

J Guy

Offline TejasBob

Re: Effective humidity case / enclosure
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »
I am going to be trying one of these.  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158039

Offline jgveill

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
I live in Québec city whe we have a lot of snow and snow storm.  So, with open bottom like that, with snow and wind, is not an option, the middle space will be full of snow very rapidly.  So, in my case, this would not work.  To make sure, sun will not heat the sensors, paint the inside black, to cut as much uv rays as possible.  Keep the outside white to reflect as much sun as possible. 

J Guy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
Put a Davis 24 hour FARS together. This aspirated unit is just as good or better than expensive professional units. We have someone here who owns both and has tested against RM Young motor aspirated shield. Scaled Instruments has all parts needed. Here is the pdf Ryan at scaled put together.
He also ships to Canada and UK.

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/24hr_fars_Exploded_Diagram.pdf
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:11:20 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy