Author Topic: My AcuRite Model 01050 w/o AC Power Drives Me Crazy  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Mac005

My AcuRite Model 01050 w/o AC Power Drives Me Crazy
« on: April 05, 2017, 11:28:31 PM »
I have a small AcuRite Model 01050 I use as a satellite display on my night stand.  It works OK with my 5 in 1, but runs through a set of batteries twice a year.  Since has no AC power, when you replace the batteries, of course you lose all your yearly historical data.  I especially do not like losing the rainfall data and high & low temps.  Anyone made a power adapter for this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: My AcuRite Model 01050 w/o AC Power Drives Me Crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 07:26:48 AM »
Doesn't this unit have the same 4 x AA battery setup as all the others?  If so, only take two batteries out at a time and it won't lose the data.  Most of the Acu-Rite stuff of that vintage ran on 3V, and the battery arrangements were two pairs of 2 x AA batteries to allow changing them without losing the memory.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:38 AM »
I have this one. It has 3 batteries. You lose memory, but I can get a year out of mine before changing batteries.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 07:50:50 AM »
Nope this display uses 3 X AA batteries.  I have the same one.  Not sure if only 1 battery can be replaced at a time to keep history because I usually don't know to change mine until it is completely dead.   :)

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Is there any room inside? stick a supercap across the plus and minus to carry you over until the batteries are replaced

Offline Mac005

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 11:07:02 PM »
You take one battery out and the display begins to fade out.  You can't change the fast enough. Not familiar with a supercap.

Offline WA7FWF

• Contributor
  • Blitzortung 1196
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 12:59:46 AM »
supercaps are small but very high capacitance capacitors, you would look inside and find the + and - battery connections on the board and then you would match the supercaps + and - to the board connections, when you put in new batteries it will charge up the supercap and then when you need to replace the batteries the supercap will supply the power until you get the new batteries put in. Depending on the size of the supercap it may get you many mins  before the display resets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCs-CAPACITOR-SUPER-33F-0-33F-5-5V-SUPERCAP-Radial-Super-Cap-/152202675559

There is an example of a supercap.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 02:32:59 AM »
Using a supercap is a good idea. You would have to change the batteries on a schedule to catch them before they drained to the point of the console dropping out. The supercap wont carry you over to swap out dead batteries.

Another option is to use 1.5v rechargeable batteries and a 4.5 volt wal-wart power pack. You'd have to drill a small hole for a power jack and solder that to the + and - on the circuit board.

Offline Mac005

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
Using a supercap is a good idea. You would have to change the batteries on a schedule to catch them before they drained to the point of the console dropping out. The supercap wont carry you over to swap out dead batteries.

Another option is to use 1.5v rechargeable batteries and a 4.5 volt wal-wart power pack. You'd have to drill a small hole for a power jack and solder that to the + and - on the circuit board.
It must have heard my complaints.  It is now possessed!  I wake up in the middle of the of last night by a strange light on my night stand.  The little demon's backlight feature has suddenly come on and will not shut off by using the touch bar.  I lay it on it's face on the floor and go back to bed.  I figured with the back light battery drain, it would be dead by morning.  Oh no.  It still ticking but now obviously showing a low battery symbol.  I guess I'll perform your corrective surgery on it.  I guess that's what I get for taking it's photo and bad mouthing it in public?

anything