Author Topic: WS-1001 having trouble with firmware 2.2.9  (Read 7445 times)

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
WS-1001 having trouble with firmware 2.2.9
« on: March 14, 2016, 07:24:39 PM »
I tried to update to firmware 2.2.9 today. Now it won't connect to a Wifi network. I tried setting up an open guest network and that doesn't work. Then I tried an older router and that didn't work. It says connecting.... then 'not connected'.

Is there any way to roll the firmware back to an earlier version? I have tried putting 2.2.3 on the SD card but it won't take. I have tried doing a touch command on all the file dates to see if that might fool it to thinking its newer. That doesn't work. I wonder if it is possible. I want to rule out that it is the new version.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
Re: WS-1001 having trouble with firmware 2.2.9
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 01:52:02 PM »
I've tried quite a bit once I learned how to alter the update.ini file. I re-tried 2.2.9 while setting DeleteParam=true. I tried going back to 2.2.5 doing the same thing. I verified the updates were going in by looking at the files in NAND memory when hooked up by USB to Windows 10.

Unless there is something else I can try, I am going to have to admin that Wifi is bricked on this panel. It will connect neither to the regular secured home network, nor the open guest network, nor an open network on an older completely different brand router.

I think I will at least email ambientweather first.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 03:46:14 PM »
I've tried quite a bit once I learned how to alter the update.ini file. I re-tried 2.2.9 while setting DeleteParam=true. I tried going back to 2.2.5 doing the same thing. I verified the updates were going in by looking at the files in NAND memory when hooked up by USB to Windows 10.

Unless there is something else I can try, I am going to have to admin that Wifi is bricked on this panel. It will connect neither to the regular secured home network, nor the open guest network, nor an open network on an older completely different brand router.

I think I will at least email ambientweather first.

not sure if any  of these help use your old version of 2.2.5 and edit

1. factory reset via unit ?
2. in the past i had noticed some files had file permissions and would refuse to update however these were part of theme files but may be the case here ?
3. increase the version to something like 2.3.0 in the update.ini and main.ini files and push the date far ahead ?

Version=2.2.9
Update Time=2015-01-01 12:00:00

to

Version=2.3.0
Update Time=2018-12-12 12:00:00

apart from that there is not a lot you can do from home

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »
Thanks, weatherist34

I had worked with ambient weather a bit on this and they have no further suggestions. It is out of warranty.

I had gotten the hint that was the way to do it by reading other posts and have spent the last few days trying various tests. I tried various firmware levels such as 2.2.2.

I am now at 2.2.5 and have verified this by file date in NAND memory when connected to USB in Windows 10.

Last night I tried powering down for 12 hours to see if that might help but it did not.

What I think may have happened is that by updating 2.2.9, it affected the firmware of the Wifi chip and now it cannot be undone. I actually had this happen on a PC once with a faulty wifi driver. On the PC I would open it and short the CMOS pins, and/or cycle an internal backup battery and it would put it back to an initial state. But I don't know how to open the WS-1001. Taking out the four screws doesn't seem to be enough and I don't want to pry it open. I figure if it is supposed to open I shouldn't have to force it. I don't want to break what is otherwise a perfectly good panel.

I did notice that there is a pin hole on the back (not the side) and putting a paper clip in there seems to click a switch. I wonder what this is for as it doesn't seem to have any effect.

Curious, if I do an on line look up on the mac id for this device, I get no matches for 00-93-05. It is 00-93-05-01-88-C1

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 10:35:07 AM »
no problem

can you just confirm .

1.usb is disconnected completely (if plugged in it will disable wifi connection)?
2.do you see your wifi router broadcasts listed in the wireless section on the unit ?

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 12:24:17 PM »
Hi,

I didn't know about the USB/wifi, so I made sure the USB cable was out, power cycled, and tried it.

I have always seen the routers in the Wifi list. If I try to connect, it says "connecting...." then "Not Connected".

As an experiment I tried setting up a hotspot on my cell phone. It saw the cell phone's broadcast in the Wifi list but it would not connect to it. It doesn't see to want to connect to any router.

So the problem remains.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 03:24:34 PM »
hi again

process of elimination

1.reboot router change wifi channel, double check wireless is using wpa2 security and double check password use lowercase only
2.goto ambient wiki site download 2.2.5 unzip and replace WirelessDef.dat file via usb in windows,reboot machine.
3.enter password using lowercase .
4.remember firmware full upgrades only work via SDCARD method copying files over via usb does not effect firmware .
5. does your other devices like phone connect easily to router ?

you probably did all these but the fact your seeing a wifi broadcast would tell me all is not lost just have to look at every little bit of detail ,my unit sometimes will not connect
when 4 or 5 devices are using the router via wireless , i reboot the router and it reconnects this also happens with other devices and changing the wifi channel often fixes it.

i hope you get this working and when it does work it could something stupidly obvious but the process of elimination can be helpful.

ill keep racking my brains on what i would if i was in the situation.

brian
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:37:32 PM by weatherist34 »

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts on the problem!

I tried most everything you suggested.
I tried all 11 channels on the router.
I changed the router from open to wpa2 with password all lower case
Every other device at 2.4Ghz connects to the router with no problem

Comments on WirelessDef.dat
In the firmware files I've downloaded, WirelessDef.dat didn't appear until 2.2.9.
However, I did back up the WirelessDef.dat from 2.2.5 from the memory of the device before I upgraded
So I placed that via USB onto the device

Unfortunately none of these things worked.

Now into forbidden territory...
I found that pressing the button in the pinhole on the back and then powering up makes the screen instantly go black. Then hitting the reset button on the side will reboot the unit. This apparently doesn't change anything! But I strongly suggest those with working units do not fool with this as I don't know what I am doing!

Secondly, I noticed that the unit has a windows directory with various files in it. This means there could be problems there as well such as corrupt files. Messing around in there without the proper knowledge would almost certainly brick the panel.

Thanks for your time. Next up I think is what alternatives there are to getting back on line because there are a few...

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 07:39:07 AM »
I found another way to downgrade firmware. Edit the main.ini in the WS-1001 memory and make the version number to earlier than the one you want to install. In other words if the currently running version is 2.2.9, and you want to install 2.2.5, change the version number from 2.2.9 to 2.2.0 in main.ini in the WS-1001 memory. In order to do this you will have to copy the main.ini to the desktop, edit it, and then copy it back into memory.

I tried many version of the firmware with no luck. I tried version 2.1.9 since it specifically mentions a WEP password bug is fixed to no avail.

I am now going to look at other options to getting back on line.

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 06:20:01 AM »
sorry to hear your still having problems

next step can you find some wifi monitoring software , not sure what OS you use i use OSX but i know there are many for windows .

this would highlight if your console is sending a wifi packet you would be able to identify it via the mac address .

what gives me hope is that that your unit is able to see a router/wireless broadcast .

then i would if possible (not everyone has multiple routers lying around) just setup a router from factory default add some basic wireless configuration
dont connect it to internet and don't connect any other devices other than your weather console just sit it nearby and see if a connection can be established ..

as firmware upgrade downgrades changing the date should be enough but if that works its another bit of info/knowledge to note down.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 12:53:20 PM »
This was a good idea. I am familiar with Wireshark for Windows. For those familiar with Wireshark, I used the legacy interface.

I tested things were working first by capturing traffic from my cell phone. When the cell phone connected I saw a broadcast, then a few lines later I saw a DNS request.

I then set the filter to

eth.addr == 00:93:05:01:88:C1

Under firmware 2.2.9 I saw no traffic when I tried to connect. Then I noticed under the About screen for 2.2.9 the mac id is not listed. I decided to go back to 2.2.5. Backing out the version in the Main.ini in WS-1001 memory made this slick! I just made that 2.2.0 and put 2.2.5 on the SD card and no hassle at all getting it to go on without altering the files on the SD card.

Unfortunately under 2.2.5 I am seeing no traffic. I don't think the WS-1001 is really broadcasting.

As a test I also tried to filter on the DNS request. It sees the cell phone's request but it doesn't see the WS-1001 request.

bootp.option.type == 53

It must be able to receive but not send.

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 03:41:03 PM »
What is the proper way of opening the WS-1001? I would like to do a battery pull to see if that might help.

Running the panel for 2 days now since last manually set and the clock is already 20 seconds fast. It really needs internet to function well.

Offline HassanMohi

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 10:08:33 AM »
re enter your Station ID and Password and WIFI password, see if it works!

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »

Thanks, HassanMohi. I tried this on the outside chance it needs the Station ID and Password need to be correct and filled in before it tried to connect to Wifi. It still didn't connect.

I suspect the fact I see no network traffic means the panel is somehow impaired. I think I will wait for the next firmware update (if any) before calling it quits and then go for other options. Add the fact that this panel has had connectivity issues such that I even started a forum subject on it probably means this panel might have been faulty from the start.

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 12:32:12 PM »
I tried to update to firmware 2.2.9 today. Now it won't connect to a Wifi network. I tried setting up an open guest network and that doesn't work. Then I tried an older router and that didn't work. It says connecting.... then 'not connected'.

I tried upgrading my Ambient Weather 1001 console from 2.2.5 to 2.2.9 last night and had the same issue.   I could not get the display console to connect to any Wifi router.   I tried rebooting but no good. 

The fix for me was removing the SD with the new firmware and rebooting with the original SD card.  Once it rebooted the Wifi connected and started to work again.   Not sure why this worked but its running on 2.2.9 now and EasyWeather can connect to it.
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
The fix for me was removing the SD with the new firmware and rebooting with the original SD card.  Once it rebooted the Wifi connected and started to work again.   Not sure why this worked but its running on 2.2.9 now and EasyWeather can connect to it.

Interesting. I wonder what was on the original SD card that made the difference?

There is a file called WirelessDef.dat and I backed up that file from the previous working files. I wonder if that has anything to do with this.

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »
From the more interesting side of the world....

My WS-1001 will connect to my WiFi, get time/date from NIST, but refuses to send weather data.

Ed @ Ambient Weather had me send it in to him, and it works great there, not so much at my house.

He (Ed) gave me a good deal on the ObserverIP module, which is happily grabbing the sensor data and sending it (to me, and then I send it to WU).

Ideas?  (It's not a big deal, since the ObserverIP is working).

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »

He (Ed) gave me a good deal on the ObserverIP module, which is happily grabbing the sensor data and sending it (to me, and then I send it to WU).

This has always been one possible solution to the problem. But I am interested in what I see can be done with the WS-1001 in terms of data customization. It could even mean a pure software solution to sending data to other services. But at this point I cannot try these things.

I was messing around looking in the directories while the panel was connected via USB to Windows 10. I noticed that it is running Windows CE. I wonder if a refresh, or re-install of Windows CE might be beneficial. But these types of knowledge could only be known to the manufacturer. Heck there probably is even a hardware diagnostic of some kind which exists but not available to us.

Offline Wims280

• https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IGELDERL239
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 02:56:52 PM »
From the more interesting side of the world....

My WS-1001 will connect to my WiFi, get time/date from NIST, but refuses to send weather data.

Ed @ Ambient Weather had me send it in to him, and it works great there, not so much at my house.

Hi i forgot to tel you i also deleted manual in the NAND drive the WirelessDef.dat file before i rebooted

Offline Wims280

• https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IGELDERL239
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »

Thanks, HassanMohi. I tried this on the outside chance it needs the Station ID and Password need to be correct and filled in before it tried to connect to Wifi. It still didn't connect.

I suspect the fact I see no network traffic means the panel is somehow impaired. I think I will wait for the next firmware update (if any) before calling it quits and then go for other options. Add the fact that this panel has had connectivity issues such that I even started a forum subject on it probably means this panel might have been faulty from the start.
Try a reset to factory default and reboot and then renter all wifi station id and password

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 03:38:15 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Wims280

I always try the tips so keep 'em coming. But earlier I put a sniffer on the panel's IP address and determined it was receiving but not sending Wifi to the router. For that reason I think the Wifi radio might be shot. This could be the reason I was having Wifi dropouts so much that I had started another thread on it.

Alas, it's just shot

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »

I always try the tips so keep 'em coming. But earlier I put a sniffer on the panel's IP address and determined it was receiving but not sending Wifi to the router. For that reason I think the Wifi radio might be shot. This could be the reason I was having Wifi dropouts so much that I had started another thread on it.

Alas, it's just shot

Does yours receive NTP (Time Setting)?

Offline StratosDog

• Musconetcong Mountains
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 03:56:42 PM »

No, since it has to get to that through the router. I haven't reset the time in a while and I see that it is now about 15 minutes ahead!

Offline lrosenman

• Contributor
    • Siena Weather
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 03:57:48 PM »

No, since it has to get to that through the router. I haven't reset the time in a while and I see that it is now about 15 minutes ahead!

ok, so your issue is different than mine.  (I assume you've TRIED to force a time update?)

Offline Wims280

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2016, 04:23:51 PM »

Alas, it's just shot
Did you also deleted manual in the NAND drive the WirelessDef.dat file before you rebooted ?

anything